Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 11:37 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,396,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Is your dog a service animal?

“Service Animal - This is defined by federal and Colorado law as a dog (or miniature horse) that has been individually trained to perform a specific task or service for a person with a disability. A service animal is considered an extension of a person with a disability and is allowed in any place that is open to the public. A service dog can only be excluded from a business or public place if it is out of control or not housebroken.”

https://disabilitylawco.org/issues/c...stance-animals
The more pertinent question would be "Is diabetes a disability?" The answer is generally no unless it is uncontrollable or has caused damage that would qualify.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 11:49 AM

21,867 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Why does a diabetic person need a 'service dog' in a restaurant with the parents around.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/fami...224943618.html
Ouch. That's going to cost them. There's "professional" ADA snoopers who go around as this type of thing is a quick buck for them and the law offices they kick cases to. That's provided it's an actual service dog and not one of those emotional support animals.

Old 06-20-2019, 11:55 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
On another note, the parents could really feed their diabetic child better. Smh.
Smashburger makes a good black bean burger. I've ordered it when my kids want to eat there but I'm not in the mood for a heavy meal. They also serve salads as well..

* yeh.. it looks like the restaurant is going to be liable.
* All those people with fake service dogs are scum.... doesn't do justice for people with legit needs. Same goes with handicap parking tags. My understanding it is not very hard to get either with the right connections. While I can't prove it but it isn't uncommon here.... untrained "service" dogs that are constantly distracted by their environment is a tall tell sign.
* Diabetes service dogs are accepted as official service dogs unlike emotional support pets.

Old 06-20-2019, 01:16 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,401,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Is your dog a service animal?

“Service Animal - This is defined by federal and Colorado law as a dog (or miniature horse) that has been individually trained to perform a specific task or service for a person with a disability. A service animal is considered an extension of a person with a disability and is allowed in any place that is open to the public. A service dog can only be excluded from a business or public place if it is out of control or not housebroken.”

https://disabilitylawco.org/issues/c...stance-animals
Problem with the points that are in bold is how easily abusable that is. For example, one who claims to have a seizure condition when in fact they don't might easily use those 2 conditions to say they have a service dog for their made-up condition. How we could change the laws so proof is made on having said conditions but not violating privacy laws is blurred.

Old 06-20-2019, 02:48 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
A few months ago, a supersized woman in the provided electric carts in the grocery store had her "service dog" yappy little chihuahua on a leash with her. Said dog nipped at me as I walked by. My involuntary reaction was to make a football out of said dog. Said supersized woman had fit. I stayed calm, she got removed from store. Along with yappy dog.

Said dog obviously was not trained as the law requires.
You done good. I really like the idea of a 20 yard punt.

Old 06-20-2019, 03:25 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,758,329 times
I saw a guy inside the grocery and he had a service dog, the patch said PTSD and the sign on the dog said DO NOT PET! (my natural instinct) I respect the sign but wonder why some dogs you can pet and some therapy dogs you cannot?

Old 06-20-2019, 03:34 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Smashburger makes a good black bean burger. I've ordered it when my kids want to eat there but I'm not in the mood for a heavy meal. They also serve salads as well..

* yeh.. it looks like the restaurant is going to be liable.
* All those people with fake service dogs are scum.... doesn't do justice for people with legit needs. Same goes with handicap parking tags. My understanding it is not very hard to get either with the right connections. While I can't prove it but it isn't uncommon here.... untrained "service" dogs that are constantly distracted by their environment is a tall tell sign.
* Diabetes service dogs are accepted as official service dogs unlike emotional support pets.
Searched ebay for “service dog vest” Found 55516 for sale.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ALL-ACCESS-...ace9e484461718

Old 06-20-2019, 03:37 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I saw a guy inside the grocery and he had a service dog, the patch said PTSD and the sign on the dog said DO NOT PET! (my natural instinct) I respect the sign but wonder why some dogs you can pet and some therapy dogs you cannot?
Because you should always ask first if you can pet the dog, any dog.

Old 06-20-2019, 03:47 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Why does a diabetic person need a 'service dog' in a restaurant with the parents around.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/fami...224943618.html

You're not aware that the ADA precludes owners/operators of such places asking that question? You should be.

BTW, this has nothing to do with the fact that service animals and support animals are different, and that some people simply want to take their pets everywhere--that's an entirely different issue from what requirements must be met by patrons, and what accommodations must be granted by establishments, under the provisions of the ADA.

Old 06-20-2019, 03:47 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,953,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
In many places there are laws against bringing animals into places that serve food. In Boulder, Colorado for instance, I was not even allowed to have my dog with me in an OUTSIDE eating area of a restaurant. I had no problem with that. Their place, their rules.

Health regulations and laws recognize that animals are DIRTY and can carry disease, bacteria, etc. Think about that when you allow your dog to sleep with you next time.
Is your dog a pet or a service dog? Huge difference between the two. Service dogs are MEDICAL EQUIPMENT, pets are not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies