Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 08:21 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,668,069 times

Advertisements

The contractor was an idiot.

Businesses should be professional. You do not bring your personal feelings and opinions into it. That means no confederate flags or Pride stickers. Or Jesus loves. No Old Obama 2008 or Bush 2000 stickers. Just professional lettering and logo on the side of the truck. And professional attire for the job with no MAGA hats either.

Just because you have to right to display what you want does not mean you should do it.

Old 07-03-2019, 08:52 AM

24,411 posts, read 23,070,474 times
He's within his rights and they're within their rights. I'd probably hesitate to give someone business if they'd have a Hillary or BLM support bumper sticker and would not use them if they had anything ANTIFA or Open Borders presented. If someone doesn't like Trump or Obama they may be hurting their own business. But what goes around comes around.
Imagine someone calling an emergency tow truck and the service person refuses to help them based on a bumper sticker they didn't like. Then imagine that service person gets boycotted and gets bad reviews from those angry he did that.
maybe it all should come down to nobody should care so much about their or the other persons political opinions.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:00 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
It is not "offensive to blacks".

Like blacks are all the same.

Lots of blacks, probably most blacks, don't like it, but that is not the same as "offensive to blacks".
It’s not offensive to me in and of itself.

But if you pull up to one of our houses with it flying from your vehicle and you’re expecting to get some money, then HELL YEAH it’s offensive because you’re trying to antagonize us. That’s about the time when we kick your ass off the property and tell you not to come back again.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:08 AM

3,637 posts, read 1,698,703 times
I'm white and I would not have used him either. Whenever I see one of those flags or decals, I immediately envision a low IQ, bigoted idiot driving it. They don't realize they lost the war and need to move on.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:09 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
I see no problem here. Their money, their choice.

The flag is anti-American, pro-slavery etc. Those who openly espouse such views won’t be receiving my money either.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:10 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Contractors like this are not uncommon in metro Atlanta. I've had to also have a similar interaction in the past with a pest control provider who had a large Confederate flag on their truck when they came to my inner city ATL neighborhood.

I'll note, that I'm glad the video is there as it displays the typical response that black people have in these situations where we calmly inform the person that that is unacceptable and we won't be able to work with them/have them work for us.

Luckily I have not had any confederate flag flying contractors come to my house since I moved to Ohio, but I'm honestly surprised by that since there are actually a lot of white people in Ohio who fly the confederate flag or have it on their truck. I have had some Trump supporters though try to get me to speak negatively about "Democrats" with them (just had this occur yesterday lol). White Trump voters in OH are very.....I'll say vocal and combattive about Trump. Had one of them at the gym once come up and ask me if I was "glad Trump is getting black people jobs".......I actually had headphones on and they tapped me and interrupted me to ask me this foolishness.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:18 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Why did they feel the need to post this on the internet?

Old 07-03-2019, 09:22 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,756,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Meh. Opens the door to discriminate against anyone you like for a political stance. I wouldn't choose to give business to someone with a coexist sticker, a Clinton one (or old Obama/Biden one) or a rainbow flag.
That is not the same thing. It is more like a Jewish customer refusing to work with somebody with a Nazi symbol on their vehicle.

A coexist, Obama, or Pride symbol on a car equates support for a social cause. A confederate flag, to the vast majority of black Americans and many others, is a continuing symbol of their oppression and the racist history of the US.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:23 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,167,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Like it or not, the Confederate Flag is not inherently hateful or racist.
The Confederate flag is a racist symbol because the Confederacy and the institution of slavery are inseparable.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:24 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
That is not the same thing. It is more like a Jewish customer refusing to work with somebody with a Nazi symbol on their vehicle.

A coexist, Obama, or Pride symbol on a car equates support for a social cause. A confederate flag, to the vast majority of black Americans and many others, is a continuing symbol of their oppression and the racist history of the US.
So you're OK with religious people turning away anyone with a pride flag/sticker?

What if the tables were turned?

What if the business had a confederate flag and a black person walked in and was refused service?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies