Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2019, 11:29 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Not when several people have made false claims such as Kamala's plan guarantees mortgages, or brought up strawman arguments about bad credit (which have nothing to do with down payments).
everyone of these would be subprime....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2019, 11:31 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,287,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Not a Strawman, actual facts. This program doesn't force you to be black to benefit from, however you do need to meet certain requirements and live in a traditionally red-lined community.
^Exactly.

Program requirements below:

Quote:
The proposal would require a "guarantee," or applicant, to have lived in a historically red-lined community that remains low-to-moderate income, for at least 10 years before they can qualify. The applicant must purchase a principal residence. Families applying cannot have an annual income of over $100,000 or $125,000 in high cost areas, according to the campaign – individuals cannot make over $50,000 or $75,000. The max grant is capped at either $25,000 or 20% of the loan value plus closing costs. There's also a $300,000 cap on the home price.
There is no requirement of being black.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:32 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Not a Strawman, actual facts. This program doesn't force you to be black to benefit from, however you do need to meet certain requirements and live in a traditionally red-lined community.

i.e. "I know that Kamala is promising a handout to Blacks. But I'll never admit it so I'll make up obtuse argument after obtuse argument".

ANY program where she promises to address years of discrimination against Blacks, is FOR Blacks.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:33 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Any government assistance program for home ownership should be income tested not racially limited to black people.

What about poor Mexicans?

What about poor people of other races?

Harris just lost any chance at my vote.
The program isn't racially limited to black people. The program is targeted specifically for those in historically red-lined communities. Now based off those who live in historically red-lined communities it is certainly likely to help more blacks than others, but it is not a specific black only program.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:34 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,287,627 times
Her program benefits black people, but it is not limited to black people. Anyone saying different is spreading propaganda.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:37 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
i.e. "I know that Kamala is promising a handout to Blacks. But I'll never admit it so I'll make up obtuse argument after obtuse argument".

ANY program where she promises to address years of discrimination against Blacks, is FOR Blacks.
Stating the facts of the actual proposal isn't an obtuse argument, it is facts. Have blacks been traditionally discriminated against for Housing? Yes. Does this program attempt to address that? Yes. Are blacks the only ones that can benefit from this program? No

Old 07-07-2019, 11:42 AM

10,457 posts, read 4,040,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
What about other minority groups? She's digging a deeper and deeper hole..
She don't care about other minority groups. But then again, most other groups are fine at getting an education, a good job, making something of themselves and purchasing a home and passing down their hard work to their kids.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Then no bank will approve them for a loan.

Kamala's plan is to give people down payment assistance, not an entire mortgage.
Screw that plan. My family came here with nothing but the shirt on their backs. They weren't rich, and they sure as hell had no programs to help. They worked hard in the coal mines and paid for their homes with cash. Not credit from the banks. If something needed fixing, they learned how to do it themselves instead of hiring some over expensive contractor who will do a shoddy job. My dad came down from NY to Florida the same way. We camped at a national park until he saved up enough money to buy a run down trailer and fix it up. He then sold that and was able to work out a deal with a Native American woman he worked for at buying one of her old run down houses directly from her. We still have that house to this day. And we did this all with no help from some government program. If we can do it, anyone can. Why doesn't these rich people like Beyonce, Lebron James, Jay Z or Michael Jordan take their billions and create a bank that helps the poor Black people out instead of politicians forcing everyone to pay higher taxes to help them out?

Old 07-07-2019, 11:48 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Stating the facts of the actual proposal isn't an obtuse argument, it is facts. Have blacks been traditionally discriminated against for Housing? Yes. Does this program attempt to address that? Yes. Are blacks the only ones that can benefit from this program? No

Facts. According to Kamala

• Is it a program that addresses the Poor - Nope.
  • Is it a program that addresses discrimination against Blacks - Yes
Case closed.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
I have a better plan. Join the military, obtain VA loan, now you don’t need a down payment.
Not everyone can join the military. And even then, I had an uncle that was a vet, and they didn't help him do nothing. Not a damn thing! Just gave him the run around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies