Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 03:50 PM

21,957 posts, read 9,545,368 times

Advertisements

Good luck with this. Read the comments.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/kamala-ha...100-billion-17
0809349.html

Kamala Harris proposes $100 billion plan for black homeownership

Politics
Politico By David Siders,Politico 4 hours ago

Harris said her program would “put homeownership within the reach” of millions of families.
Kamala Harris, calling on the nation to “deal with the racial wealth gap,” on Saturday proposed a $100 billion federal program to help black people buy homes.

The California senator said the plan, which would provide down payment and closing cost assistance of up to $25,000 to people renting or living in historically red-lined communities, would help some 4 million home-buyers....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2019, 04:20 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,203,897 times
What if they have bad credit? What if they just s*ck at personal finances?

In the 1970's, a church group imported a black family into Concord, MA. The group paid the down payment on the house. The black family just had to keep up with the monthly payments. A few years in, the family had to leave the house due to missed mortgage payments. I also believe that they weren't happy living in white majority suburb and missed their friends and culture.

In the Boston area, real estate is extremely expensive. So even with this proposed program, I don't think that black home ownership would be much increased.

How typical of this group of Democratic presidential candidates, that she would try to buy black votes with this program. These Democrats keep trying to buy votes by offering government freebies.

And as a homeowner, I can tell you that owning a home (or condo) takes a lot of continued effort and work that most people don't want to deal with. Mortgage payments, property taxes, home repairs and maintenances.... things that people who have been lifelong renters, Section 8 or housing project residents don't want to or don't know how to deal with.

It will be the whole subprime mortgage crisis all over. Plus add to that unscrupulous people selling substandard quality houses to these black buyers trying to find housing within their budget range.

Old 07-06-2019, 04:25 PM

6,637 posts, read 4,324,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Good luck with this. Read the comments.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/kamala-ha...100-billion-17
0809349.html

Politics
Politico By David Siders,Politico 4 hours ago

Harris said her program would “put homeownership within the reach” of millions of families.
Kamala Harris, calling on the nation to “deal with the racial wealth gap,” on Saturday proposed a $100 billion federal program to help black people buy homes.

The California senator said the plan, which would provide down payment and closing cost assistance of up to $25,000 to people renting or living in historically red-lined communities, would help some 4 million home-buyers....
What about other minority groups? She's digging a deeper and deeper hole..

Old 07-06-2019, 04:26 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,241,616 times
So...."Plan" means tax, right?

I just love plans.

Old 07-06-2019, 04:32 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,128,791 times
This is exactly how we got into the 2007 mess.

I have a plan too: get a job, save up for a down payment, establish good credit, and pay the mortgage on time for 30 years.

Old 07-06-2019, 04:37 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,723,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
What if they have bad credit? What if they just s*ck at personal finances?

In the 1970's, a church group imported a black family into Concord, MA. The group paid the down payment on the house. The black family just had to keep up with the monthly payments. A few years in, the family had to leave the house due to missed mortgage payments. I also believe that they weren't happy living in white majority suburb and missed their friends and culture.

In the Boston area, real estate is extremely expensive. So even with this proposed program, I don't think that black home ownership would be much increased.

How typical of this group of Democratic presidential candidates, that she would try to buy black votes with this program. These Democrats keep trying to buy votes by offering government freebies.

And as a homeowner, I can tell you that owning a home (or condo) takes a lot of continued effort and work that most people don't want to deal with. Mortgage payments, property taxes, home repairs and maintenances.... things that people who have been lifelong renters, Section 8 or housing project residents don't want to or don't know how to deal with.

It will be the whole subprime mortgage crisis all over. Plus add to that unscrupulous people selling substandard quality houses to these black buyers trying to find housing within their budget range.
Then no bank will approve them for a loan.

Kamala's plan is to give people down payment assistance, not an entire mortgage.

Old 07-06-2019, 04:42 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,246,440 times
So. What is her definition of "black people". What color black do they have to be? Will they have to take DNA tests? 50% black? 25% black? 1/32 black? Do Obama's kids get to have a loan to help with their racial gap too?

What could possibly go wrong?

Old 07-06-2019, 04:46 PM

24,684 posts, read 9,505,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post

I have a plan too: get a job, save up for a down payment, establish good credit, and pay the mortgage on time for 30 years.
I have a better plan. Join the military, obtain VA loan, now you don’t need a down payment.

Old 07-06-2019, 04:47 PM

1,663 posts, read 879,128 times
Then there's this part.
Quote:
But Harris is not stopping at homeownership. She also said that she will soon unveil a plan to help black entrepreneurs and business owners. “We cannot bridge the racial wealth gap just by addressing historical inequities, although we must do that, we also have to write the next chapter… In the coming weeks I’ll announce new investments to support black entrepreneurs and business owners by increasing access to credit and capital,” she said.
And not a word from Horizontal Harris about how to pay for any of it.

Old 07-06-2019, 04:57 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,259,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post

That's racist!

How dare you ask people to be responsible for themselves!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies