Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 09:36 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
He also screamed on the radio that Charlotte was a racist town on his way out after he sold the team. Bob Johnson is a lot of things. Be careful when you prop him up because next week he could say the exact opposite if a deal fell through.
Yet Michael Jordan bought the team from Johnson. Are now calling Michael Jordan racist too?

And BTW, Charlotte has a Black Mayor, Both the city and county councils are close to 100% Democrat, the sheriff is Black, and the representative to the US House is Black. This in a county that is majority White. Nothing you say is true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 09:36 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Do you think that only black people watch BET?

I'll note most black people I know only watch it for the award shows. Interestingly, that is mentioned in the first link you have, that the award shows are very popular for black people to watch.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:37 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Dear, I live in Charlotte. Johnson brought the city the NBA. Everyone here, including myself, knows exactly who Bob Johnson is. He's well known in this part of the USA.

We get it. You hate the message, can't address it, so going on the attacks.

Oh, and you need to get out more. You are very excitable today. Maybe some yoga will help.
Dear? Uhhh...chill with that kinda talk. I’m not your “dear.”

Again, so what if he brought Charlotte an NBA team. And?

I addressed the “message.” I addressed it by telling you that Bob Johnson’s opinion carries no extra preponderance just because he uttered it. He has no standing in the black community. How many times do you have to be told that?

Your problem is that you want to GIVE him standing that he doesn’t have and hasn’t earned. You can’t. This isn’t your community and you’re not in a position to force Bob Johnson down our collective throats just because YOU like him.

Play your position.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:38 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,735,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
I guess this billionaire liked his tax cut.
This statement is BS in itself. The top (people) are actually paying more taxes because of reduced deduction opportunities. BET as a corporation is what got a tax break. I'm a "walk away" myself, so you libs are going to have to do better than this. My "rich" boss is employing three times the workers now full time with optional OT instead of the original crew sitting at home on unemployment ~1/3rd of the year. Not only that, but he is paying far more taxes not only due to less deductions but because of the increase in workers and sales, while still making much more money himself. So as far as I'm concerned it is a win-win-win.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:41 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
... He has no standing in the black community. ....
Is your spokes person job for this community an elected position or self appointed?

But I am certain, more will listen to him, than you.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Is your spokes person job for this community an elected position or self appointed?

But I am certain, more will listen to him, than you.
That’s not saying much. I’m not a billionaire. Why should anyone listen to me? I’m nobody.

You’re just upset because you mistakenly thought that Bob Johnson had good standing in the black community only to find out that his name is mud. You should’ve asked a black person first before making that assumption. We don’t just worship every black man with money. We aren’t like you.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:51 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,493,779 times
Quote:
Yet Michael Jordan bought the team from Johnson. Are now calling Michael Jordan racist too?

And BTW, Charlotte has a Black Mayor, Both the city and county councils are close to 100% Democrat, the sheriff is Black, and the representative to the US House is Black. This in a county that is majority White. Nothing you say is true.

Yeah, and I can't wait until the entire NC legislature mirrors Charlotte's racial and political makeup. Robert Johnson will probably be pleased as well!

Old 07-11-2019, 10:00 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,679,366 times
Mr. Johnson was for Hilary when she ran against Obama, when Obama won he was for Obama. Its no surprise, he is for who ever the winner is. Johnson had to formally apologize to Obama.

Mr. Johnson took something that was valuable to the black community, i.e., pride and respect, and treated it like it was of no value to him. Who could blame him. You can't take pride and respect to the bank. He could have sold BET to people like; Oprah, Q, or even Cosby (who still had a little Pride and respect back then) But once his numbers were met, sold to the highest bidder.

Trust me OP black posters are doing you a service. Conservatives don't know about the currency in the black community called pride and respect. When conservatives run some prominent black up the flag pole and no black people will salute them its because they have no currency in the black community.

There are Democrats black and white who are offering cash awards to black people for their votes but they won't get them. That isn't currency that black people use in politics. Trump supporters are still confused as to why black people voted for Obama twice and they all say "Obama didn't do anything for the black people." I think he and Michelle made black people rich with pride a respect for a short while.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:09 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Quote:

Bob Johnson is the one who said Charlotte was a racist town.

You need to forward your reply to Bob Johnson.

Oh wait, he called it arrogant and incestuous too.

"Charlotte is a very, how would I call it, close-knit, arrogant, sometimes incestuous town".

"...It's close-knit, and if you come to this town, and you look like you're one of those people that might break some glass ... it's going to be tough for them to relate to".

"The thing that concerns me is that I'm just surprised that the city doesn't do more for African-American Small Businesses. And I don't really understand that."

Last edited by Feltdesigner; 07-11-2019 at 10:18 AM..

Old 07-11-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Mr. Johnson was for Hilary when she ran against Obama, when Obama won he was for Obama. Its no surprise, he is for who ever the winner is. Johnson had to formally apologize to Obama.

Mr. Johnson took something that was valuable to the black community, i.e., pride and respect, and treated it like it was of no value to him. Who could blame him. You can't take pride and respect to the bank. He could have sold BET to people like; Oprah, Q, or even Cosby (who still had a little Pride and respect back then) But once his numbers were met, sold to the highest bidder.

Trust me OP black posters are doing you a service. Conservatives don't know about the currency in the black community called pride and respect. When conservatives run some prominent black up the flag pole and no black people will salute them its because they have no currency in the black community.

There are Democrats black and white who are offering cash awards to black people for their votes but they won't get them. That isn't currency that black people use in politics. Trump supporters are still confused as to why black people voted for Obama twice and they all say "Obama didn't do anything for the black people." I think he and Michelle made black people rich with pride a respect for a short while.
You hit the nail on the head smack dab.

Because the OP worships the wealthy, it’s assumed that we all do too. The black community ain’t built like that. Suspicion runs much higher over here. “How’d you get them billions” we ask? What did you do? Who are you aligned with? Who do you owe fealty to? Who did you step on to get that money? Who do you know? Who sponsored you? Who do you REALLY work for? What do you stand for?

Fair or unfair, THAT’S how we get down. Having a billion dollars doesn’t earn you any disciples or acolytes with us. Gotta come better than that.

I keep trying to tell Conservatives that they don’t know ANYTHING about the black community. We may as well be from Neptune.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies