Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2019, 11:20 AM

13,680 posts, read 9,765,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
If democrats think Trump is so awful, why can’t they come up with a better candidate?
This has been a poignant question for decades, and not just from Democrats. In short, there’s something unappealing about the job, so that the best people are loath to run. Why didn’t Jim Webb run in 2016? Or Colin Powell in 2008? And so forth.

The accusation that I’d levy is more towards the Republicans than the Democrats. Why couldn’t Republicans come up with a candidate in 2016 who could have defeated Trump? Why can’t the Republicans find a candidate now, who could “primary” him? I don’t want to see a Bernie/AOC-style president any more than you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Much of our indignation or tolerance has to do with ideology and even party loyalty.
Partially. In my case, it’s less about party-affiliation than with world-view, or perception of what government, nation and society ought to be. My critique of Trump is from the right, not from the left. My critique is of his unexamined and crude populism, rather than his being “too conservative”.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
They don't dislike America, they only dislike our flag, Constitution, economy, system of voting, founders, history and our success.
If I were French, my interests and preferences would align with those of Paris, rather than rural France, or its small towns. If I were German, my interests and preference would align with those of Berlin or maybe Munich, rather than those of rural German, or its small towns. If I were English, my interests and preferences would align with those of London, rather than those of rural England or its smaller towns. As an American, my interests and preferences align with those of NYC/Boston/DC/LA/SF, rather than those of rural America or its smaller towns.

It’s unlikely that the Remain vote in England “hates” England. It’s just that its vision of England is that of a global Britain, open to the world, engaged with the world, aligned with it. Do you see the analogy? This is my vision for America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2019, 11:53 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,500,580 times
Republicans tried to smear Bill Clinton with Epstein. It didn't work then and it doesn't work now with Trump. What is costing him votes is his chickenhawk cabinet.

Old 07-12-2019, 12:11 PM

5,206 posts, read 4,684,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
That will be a pretty tough challenge. For instance, we have two new automotive plants, one an OEM the other a supplier that will be built in Detroit. A lot of that area has fallen into ruins and many of the citizens are working minimum wage jobs. Now these new plants will open, giving first choice of the jobs to Detroiters. So going from a minimum wage to a Union job with benefits is quite a big deal don't you think ? Not to mention the entire change of the city around where the plants are. Restaurants , coffee shops, construction companies etc. will see huge increase. And all that will trickle down , families will now see a better future than what they once had.

So, there really is no way for a monetary comparison to your frat boys bank account. And that is why you aren't seeing the bigger picture.
Now are all states doing as well since 2016, sadly not. This is life though, it isn't a fair playing field.
Is this what you are talking about?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/fiat-ch...lan-6500-jobs/

I could not find in that article anything specific Trump has done that motivated Chrysler to reopen those plants. It sounds like they are anticipating some subsidies from Detroit. Also in the same article, it mentions GM closing plants. I'm sure if I dig hard enough, I will find stories of manufacturing plants opening and closing during Obama's 8 years in office. So I have to conclude this is a business decision unrelated to Trump. So yeah, the only thing I'm left with is Trump's crazy rhetoric about illegals, his immoral lying behavior and events that just happened to take place when he is in office. Trump did have an active role in shutting down the government to get wall funding and increasing tariffs. Maybe before the election, these actions will pay off and then I can decide whether he has done any good or not.

Old 07-12-2019, 12:20 PM

29,615 posts, read 14,758,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
Is this what you are talking about?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/fiat-ch...lan-6500-jobs/

I could not find in that article anything specific Trump has done that motivated Chrysler to reopen those plants. It sounds like they are anticipating some subsidies from Detroit. Also in the same article, it mentions GM closing plants. I'm sure if I dig hard enough, I will find stories of manufacturing plants opening and closing during Obama's 8 years in office. So I have to conclude this is a business decision unrelated to Trump. So yeah, the only thing I'm left with is Trump's crazy rhetoric about illegals, his immoral lying behavior and events that just happened to take place when he is in office. Trump did have an active role in shutting down the government to get wall funding and increasing tariffs. Maybe before the election, these actions will pay off and then I can decide whether he has done any good or not.
Actually, you are the one that brought up benefiting under Trump. And at the moment I feel MI and the manufacturing industry is doing very well. Either due to Trump or not. I'd like to think he has in part helped. And yes plants shut down and open all the time, but it's been a while since this kind of money has been put into the city of Detroit.

Both the link you posted and this one are what I was talking about.
https://www.crainsdetroit.com/automo...oit-supply-fca

As far as whom to vote for in 2020, I have no choice but to vote GOP.

I'm:
Pro 2A
Pro Law enforcement
Pro Military
Pro choice
Pro LGB
Anti global
Anti illegal immigration

Old 07-12-2019, 02:06 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,440,615 times
Our kids, grandkids and great grandkids will cringe when they read about this horrible and corrupt administration in history books.

Old 07-12-2019, 02:16 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,790,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
Our kids, grandkids and great grandkids will cringe when they read about this horrible and corrupt administration in history books.
You mean the dirty Clinton Administration?

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/t...-controversies

Old 07-12-2019, 02:17 PM

40,976 posts, read 49,312,419 times
LOL... In 2016 you ran the most corrupt witch from hell.
Now in 2020 Dems are running the entire 20+ Clown Circus.

When are you going to give us someone better to vote for that's better than Trump?
Just look at the hysterics you've been pulling for the last 3 years.
Look at the far left agenda you now promote.

Open borders.
Free chit for everyone and illegals.

You Dems have gone Berserk.
You can't even control AOC and the other radical Progressive idiots.

Hell yes I'm voting for Trump again.
Stock markets above 27300 today and up 50% in 2 years.
Unemployment is at zero.
Blacks are working.

You have no one that can take on the Economy, jobs and China.

Shut down the border and we might talk.

Old 07-12-2019, 02:19 PM

14,887 posts, read 10,061,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
If we allow people like you to continue destroying this nation those kids will be reading their history books in Spanish.

Old 07-12-2019, 02:21 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,790,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
If we allow people like you to continue destroying this nation those kids will be reading their history books in Spanish.
Beautifully Spoken!

Old 07-12-2019, 02:22 PM

6,282 posts, read 3,438,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I certainly hope people come to their senses and vote that crook out.

Why...so the liberals/progressives can vote one of their own crooks in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies