Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 06:03 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
...It's a form of prostitution and should be treated as such...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
The world's oldest profession. As long as it is between two consenting adults...nobody should care.
While I'd agree that just legalizing prostitution altogether would be better public policy, it does seem inconsistent that this, which seems to me to clearly be a form of prostitution, is allowed under the broader current legal framework. The law should have a single standard, even if that standard isn't always optimal.

Old 07-13-2019, 06:21 PM

15,531 posts, read 10,504,683 times
We've always had hookers.

Old 07-13-2019, 06:28 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,395,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
While I'd agree that just legalizing prostitution altogether would be better public policy, it does seem inconsistent that this, which seems to me to clearly be a form of prostitution, is allowed under the broader current legal framework. The law should have a single standard, even if that standard isn't always optimal.
I hear you. I am not a lawyer but there would appear to be enough of a gray area to make the "sugar baby/daddy" relationship a bit different from traditional prostitution. In other words, the old school hooker has an explicit quid-pro-quo connection to sex for money. But there is a certainly a fine line there....

Old 07-13-2019, 06:36 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
No reason to continue reading after this point with a person making such a ridiculous reach to to spread more partisan team sports idiocy.
Agree. This might have been a valid topic otherwise but making it political and "liberals versus conservatives" ruins the discussion, pretty much.

Old 07-13-2019, 06:41 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,082 times
Quote:
I hear you. I am not a lawyer but there would appear to be enough of a gray area to make the "sugar baby/daddy" relationship a bit different from traditional prostitution. In other words, the old school hooker has an explicit quid-pro-quo connection to sex for money. But there is a certainly a fine line there....
I'm not a lawyer either, and the lawyers will ultimately decide whether or not this stands. It would be nice if our elected representatives both didn't try to ban things when that does more harm than good and if they crafted laws cleanly enough that potential loopholes like this didn't create inconsistent treatment. From a purely layman perspective while there may or may not be a distinction in a court of law, there doesn't appear to be much of one in fact.

Old 07-13-2019, 07:10 PM

21,478 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
I’d liken it more to the old “mistress” arrangement.

Old 07-14-2019, 12:45 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Students take out loans, promise to pay them back, colleges charge way more than they should, and students use sugar daddy websites to pay for college. How is this Trump’s fault? Is there no personal responsibility anymore? Everything can be blamed on one person now just because he’s the president when it happened?

I’m confused in this new world in which we live. Can someone explain the new rules?
It's nothing new. Young college women as well as men have been prostituting themselves to pay the bills for ages. It's one of the most not talked about secrets in college towns.

Old 07-14-2019, 01:25 AM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 2 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,600,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
As higher education costs continue to soar, more women are selling themselves to "sugar daddies" in order to be able to afford college. Since colleges and universities these days are run by the far-left, I wonder what the far-left thinks about women having to sell themselves in order to afford a college degree today, and rely on older men to pay their way through school? So much for "empowerment." #metooandmysugardaddy

Article
The "ivory tower lefties" do not control the funding for colleges and universities. That's the state legislature who allocated funds for education. Blame the budget busting state legislators of the 1980s to 2010s for the rising cost of tuition. A lot (if not most) of those legislatures were dominated by conservatives.

Old 07-14-2019, 07:22 AM

3,372 posts, read 1,566,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Maybe universities can establish 'sugar daddy studies' departments to go with all of the other 'studies' departments. Who would not want a PhD in sugar daddy?
Sugar daddy studies would be a good double-major with the majority of college majors offered today. Most of these majors are completely worthless in the job market, so having a sugar daddy will come in handy for being able to afford the rest of life as a sugar baby.

Old 07-14-2019, 07:26 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
It is the Progressive movement that advocates for affordable and free higher education. Your premise is absurd on its face.
First and foremost, nothing is “free”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies