Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 11:59 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times

Advertisements

The United States is based on the right and responsibility of all citizens to engage in peaceful dissent. Without the ability to disagree with your government, we have lost our liberty. I can't see how anyone who believes in the American model would not see this. And yet, we have been told that some people who disagree with the government should leave the country. We are told that lawful dissent is no longer the foundation of our society. I find this abhorrent. I have the right to disagree with any governmental policy, and I have the right to disagree publicly, as does anyone else. If we end up electing a Democratic president in 2020, I expect people to disagree with that president, no matter who he/she is. It is their right.

The fact that Trump, in his recent tweets, has chosen to overlay his condemnation of legal dissent with racism and sexism makes it more abhorrent. But the most heinous aspect of those tweets is that disagreement with our government means you are a less valued citizen and you are asked to leave. He seeks to portray citizenship as conditional. But our citizenship is not "on the condition that I don't dissent." In fact, dissent is a basic premise of good citizenship. It is working toward "a more perfect union." It is our responsibility to speak up when we perceive a wrong, even if others don't believe it is a wrong.

"Love it or Leave it" is bandied about, but it is not a fundamentally American sentiment. An American sentiment should be based on our right to disagree, and disagreement must never imply that we don't love our country. The right of dissent is written into our Constitution as the Right of Free Speech. To deny that right or to disparage its use, to imply that utilizing that right means one is disloyal or not fit to live in this country is an abomination to our way of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2019, 12:14 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Saw an interesting post on Facebook today.

Education is not memorizing that Hitler killed 6 million Jews. Education is understanding how millions of ordinary Germans were convinced that it was required. Education is how to spot the signs of history repeating itself.

Old 07-20-2019, 12:20 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,401,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
The United States is based on the right and responsibility of all citizens to engage in peaceful dissent. Without the ability to disagree with your government, we have lost our liberty. I can't see how anyone who believes in the American model would not see this. And yet, we have been told that some people who disagree with the government should leave the country. We are told that lawful dissent is no longer the foundation of our society. I find this abhorrent. I have the right to disagree with any governmental policy, and I have the right to disagree publicly, as does anyone else. If we end up electing a Democratic president in 2020, I expect people to disagree with that president, no matter who he/she is. It is their right.

The fact that Trump, in his recent tweets, has chosen to overlay his condemnation of legal dissent with racism and sexism makes it more abhorrent. But the most heinous aspect of those tweets is that disagreement with our government means you are a less valued citizen and you are asked to leave. He seeks to portray citizenship as conditional. But our citizenship is not "on the condition that I don't dissent." In fact, dissent is a basic premise of good citizenship. It is working toward "a more perfect union." It is our responsibility to speak up when we perceive a wrong, even if others don't believe it is a wrong.

"Love it or Leave it" is bandied about, but it is not a fundamentally American sentiment. An American sentiment should be based on our right to disagree, and disagreement must never imply that we don't love our country. The right of dissent is written into our Constitution as the Right of Free Speech. To deny that right or to disparage its use, to imply that utilizing that right means one is disloyal or not fit to live in this country is an abomination to our way of life.
"Peaceful dissent" being the term. When dissension involves violence, that is where our right basically thrown out of the figurative window. Now, dissent being kind or uplifting is another story as dissension can include remakes that might have racism, sexism, anti-LGBT, religious-shaming, body shaming , misogyny, and misandry.

Old 07-20-2019, 12:21 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,121,936 times
I am much more concerned about the ANTIFA fascists who go around hitting people who disagree with crowbars, lefty terrorists who try to blow up ICE facilities, and that lefty ****bag who shot the majority whip and three others.

Dissent, freedom of speech, and all of the rest of it cuts both ways. Ilan Omar has the right to say hateful, anti-semitic and anti-American things, and Trump has the right to tell her she ought to leave. He is speaking for me, and I am glad that someone is.

You are not going to win this with snowlfakism and crying. You have one option, and one option only: tell your party to tone it down, and tell Omar, Cortez, Rashid, and the other ****bag to shut up entirely until the election is over. Otherwise, prepare yourself for the Trump re-election.

Just because someone can say something doesn't mean that they should, doesn't mean that others won't disagree, and doesn't mean that they won't face consequences.

Old 07-20-2019, 12:51 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
I am much more concerned about the ANTIFA fascists who go around hitting people who disagree with crowbars, lefty terrorists who try to blow up ICE facilities, and that lefty ****bag who shot the majority whip and three others.

Dissent, freedom of speech, and all of the rest of it cuts both ways. Ilan Omar has the right to say hateful, anti-semitic and anti-American things, and Trump has the right to tell her she ought to leave. He is speaking for me, and I am glad that someone is.

You are not going to win this with snowlfakism and crying. You have one option, and one option only: tell your party to tone it down, and tell Omar, Cortez, Rashid, and the other ****bag to shut up entirely until the election is over. Otherwise, prepare yourself for the Trump re-election.

Just because someone can say something doesn't mean that they should, doesn't mean that others won't disagree, and doesn't mean that they won't face consequences.
So in other words, shut up and hold blind loyalty to Trump until after the election!

Old 07-20-2019, 01:31 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:

Bingo!

Despite the high drama in the OP's post, and the usual selective outrage of the left, the OP is either blind to members of the left beating up and chasing those with whom they disagree out of restaurants, demanding that they be kicked off social platforms, etc.--or he doesn't care. I suspect it's the latter.

Old 07-20-2019, 02:05 PM

15,845 posts, read 6,547,612 times
Nobody is sending these four representatives ''home''. Both sides are just voicing their dissent; one in a somewhat sophisticated manner, the other being spoon fed to fourth graders.

Old 07-20-2019, 02:52 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
A lot of desperation here recently on CD?

Funny.....

Old 07-20-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:

No, Trump does not have the right to tell her that she should leave. As president, he is sworn to uphold the constitutional rights of every single American. Telling her to leave abridges her constitutional rights. He has a job to do. Saying these thing may be his right as a private citizen, but it violates his oath as President. A president does not have the right to use his bully pulpit to get back at individuals he doesn't like. He has the right to dispute their votes and their advocacy of positions. But he does not have the right to encourage denying their rights as citizens (as the crowd did with "Send her back").

Old 07-20-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Bingo!

Despite the high drama in the OP's post, and the usual selective outrage of the left, the OP is either blind to members of the left beating up and chasing those with whom they disagree out of restaurants, demanding that they be kicked off social platforms, etc.--or he doesn't care. I suspect it's the latter.
The OP (me) was specifically addressing peaceful dissent. Why you think that my thread failed because it didn't discuss what YOU wanted - well, I can't read minds. I was being specific on one topic, not straying onto the subject violence.

But if you want to go that way, I will say that I am NOT in favor of ANTIFA or anyone else, including the KKK, the new Nazis, or the Proud Boys, beating anyone up or rioting. That is wrong, and I condemn it, no matter who does it. I favor points of view being kicked off of social platforms if they advocate violence - no matter what "side" they are on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies