Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 08:46 PM

471 posts, read 1,475,722 times

Advertisements

You know, it's fun to throw in extremist point of views in debates such as this.

I mean, really. That is what makes them interesting. Otherwise, it would be one race claiming the other race is more racist, ultimately leading to everyone pointing the finger at another.

Let's just all blame god for giving us a different color. Moron.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 11:37 PM

408 posts, read 696,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead_Broker View Post
As long as people have deep-rooted insecurities about who they are the subject will always be discussed. They'll be easy to spot - they're the ones wondering if racism will ever go away.

BTW, MamaShay, it's etc, not ect.
Thank you, yeah...I just noticed that

Old 04-16-2008, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolistraffic View Post
You know, it's fun to throw in extremist point of views in debates such as this.

I mean, really. That is what makes them interesting. Otherwise, it would be one race claiming the other race is more racist, ultimately leading to everyone pointing the finger at another.

Let's just all blame god for giving us a different color. Moron.
Rude hmm..........

Old 04-17-2008, 02:20 AM

715 posts, read 2,087,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Bravo you got it.......
That is exactly what I meant to say.
I am an american. I really don't care that my great grandfather was German and my great grand mother was English. I was born in the USA and I am an american. My neighbor who also happens to be black was born in the USA to me he is an American. I don't care what his ancestors were.
Well my brother, this the knock on effect of not accepting different people into the fold (Racism). The moto i believe goes along the lines of:

"If ya cant join em, BEAT EM"

Sorry Tin, i just had to clarrify

Old 04-17-2008, 05:27 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,170,731 times
The reason we have people being called African Americans, Asian Americans, Native Americans, etc, is because they wanted it that way instead of being called Africans or Blacks, Asian, or Indians, etc. Whats wrong with just being called Americans?
There is no problem with groups wanting to preserve their heritage.
But when they use it as an excuse for any problems in their life that might be caused by their heritage is an indivual's way of passing the buck.
Maybe I should get P.O.'d if someone doesn't call me a hillbilly American. I should be recognized as a distinct individual also.
Am I worried about it? No.
The government and media picked up on this and decided that was the politically correct thing to push and the aforementioned groups said yes that is how we want to be recognized.
I am not mad at the southern people because some Confederate soldier shot my great, great, great, grandpa back during the Civil war while stealing my much removed grandpa's horse. (True story)
None of the people alive in the south today had anything to do with that.
None of the Native Americans alive today had anything to do with scalping or torturing any of what might have been my ancestors.
So why should I be mad at todays Native Americans.
I had no control, and didn't participate in the cruel system of slavery that my white ancestors did.
Why should the African Americans be mad at me?
I had nothing to do with it.
I had nothing to do with the holocaust.
My Dad was in WW2 and my Mom still has pictures he brought back of Jews loaded in boxcars like cordwood after being gassed at the Dachau prison camp which his unit helped liberate.
Terrible pictures. How could one group of people be so cruel to another? I can't even imagine.
Too many groups base their racial attitudes on what happened in the past that very few people (if any) alive today had anything to do with.
Civil rights laws give us all an opportunity. Quit making excuses and go out and do something good for yourself and mankind. Don't blame any failures on what happened on a time that none of us had any control over.
If you live by excuses and not excepting responsibility for your own actions, (and blaming your actions on things of the past), or failing to use your ability to improve yourself, or your talents, it is an indiviual fault, not the fault of your race, creed, or color or any other persons race, creed, or color.
Will there always be racism?
Yes.
As long as we live in the past.
I live in the present.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:08 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets agree to disagree View Post
Do you think we will ever get over race in this country? Do you think we will ever lose all the sterotypes of people of different colors, races, backgrounds, cultures and religions in the US? Should we discuss on views and what they are, or just keep quiet and live our lives to the best our ability? Should Blacks express there feelings of racism from not just whites, but Latinos and Asians as well? Should the Jews discuss the hurt of the Holocaust and it's effect on them today? Should Latino's pick a stance on immigration? Or should we all just keep quiet and mind our business?
Don't know, I can't say race is a big issue in my life - I can't think of a important time where being black gave me an upper hand or a kick in the boot.
I find that being fat does though. During an interview for an management position at an apartment complex the lady told me appearances are very important because the potential renters see us before they see the complex. Then she just kept nodding and smiling at me, like "are you not catching on to what I'm saying"

All races seem to agree that fat is the enemy. America will be united by its hate of stretch marks and cottage cheese thighs

Last edited by nat_at772; 04-17-2008 at 09:12 AM.. Reason: didn't want to offend anyone

Old 04-17-2008, 09:32 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,115,104 times
We're inherently more comfortable by those who are like us...identifying someone as "Catholic" means they probably share similar values if you're Catholic...Irish-American? Probably a more similar upbringing...it's how people go through the world. It's the same thing with race...Hispanic, Black, Asian, White...all have different cultures. There are many similarities with other Americans but there are differences. It will never be eliminated.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:10 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
No. Racism is not a US problem; it's a human problem and exists everywhere. Plus, there's money to be made from it.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieJJ View Post
Well my brother, this the knock on effect of not accepting different people into the fold (Racism). The moto i believe goes along the lines of:

"If ya cant join em, BEAT EM"

Sorry Tin, i just had to clarrify
For me personally I do not wish to be called anything except American. I have no problem with preserving heritage (mentioned a few posts up). The thing is is that you will be hard pressed to find someone that is 100% of one background. I am African, Irish, French, and Native Indian. So what would be the PC term to call me? African American because I look black? That is just a blind way of looking at me. No Thank You. I preserve my heritage everyday by knowing where I came from(even if it is not as far back as I would like). I can understand calling Indians native Americans, for they were here first and the natives, and everyone that came after were immigrants. But as I see it if you were born and bred here you are American, you will always have more of a history to your family tree than just American (only Native Americans can stake the claim of being 100% pure American), but how long will it be when people can celebrate their differences/backgrounds and still know that everyone is just American?

Old 04-17-2008, 11:31 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,115,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaShay87 View Post
For me personally I do not wish to be called anything except American. I have no problem with preserving heritage (mentioned a few posts up). The thing is is that you will be hard pressed to find someone that is 100% of one background. I am African, Irish, French, and Native Indian. So what would be the PC term to call me? African American because I look black? That is just a blind way of looking at me. No Thank You. I preserve my heritage everyday by knowing where I came from(even if it is not as far back as I would like). I can understand calling Indians native Americans, for they were here first and the natives, and everyone that came after were immigrants. But as I see it if you were born and bred here you are American, you will always have more of a history to your family tree than just American (only Native Americans can stake the claim of being 100% pure American), but how long will it be when people can celebrate their differences/backgrounds and still know that everyone is just American?
Native Americans were immigrants too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies