Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2019, 05:29 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times

Advertisements

This Indian-born journalism professor claims that immigration rights are owed to various people around the world as reparations for Western imperialism. Bad white people have ruined the world so... brown people are entitled to take what they have.

Quote:
In June, I published a book (“This Land Is Our Land: An Immigrant’s Manifesto”) arguing that immigration is a form of reparations. It drew forth a fusillade of hatred — on Twitter, in my inbox, under the rocks of 4chan and Reddit — suggesting that I return to India.
---
I take my place in America — an imperfect place — and I make it my own; there’s a Constitution that protects my right to do so. I will not genuflect at the white American altar. I will not bow and scrape before my supposed benefactors.
---
Should today’s migrants be “grateful” to the countries that caused them to move in the first place, the ones that despoiled their homelands and made them unsafe and unlivable? For example, in Somalia — birthplace of Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) — the United States sent $1 billion to the dictator Mohamed Siad Barre, and the ensuing civil war quite literally blew up Omar’s childhood. She should be grateful that her family had to escape their land and their people,
WaPo giving this anti-white racist a platform

In reality, of course, Omar's family members' were among Mohamed Siad Barre's henchmen. They had to escape Somalia because they were hated by the people they oppressed.
Quote:
Uh, I’m betting that some of that $1 billion ended up in Rep. Omar’s grandpa’s pocket. After all, according to Rep. Omar, he worked for Siad Barre.
Washington Post: "I am an uppity immigrant. Don't expect me to be grateful"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2019, 05:35 AM

21,140 posts, read 19,722,567 times
Seems a bit hypocritical: if white people are so bad, why are brown people better off when they move to white countries?

Old 08-03-2019, 05:36 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times
Leftists cry racism at every turn, and then demonize an entire group of people based on skin color.

To paraphrase one of the leftist Squad members: White people, vote and make sure you're a voice for whites. (Does that sound racist? That's the point.)

Old 08-03-2019, 05:37 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,758,329 times
I'm white. Where are my reparations?

Old 08-03-2019, 05:43 AM

7,592 posts, read 4,163,667 times
Well, supporters of immigration want people who are highly skilled as if that is tied to cultural expectations. Being grateful is a cultural expectation that you won't even find consistently throughout the US.

Old 08-03-2019, 08:00 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,182 posts, read 13,469,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
This Indian-born journalism professor claims that immigration rights are owed to various people around the world as reparations for Western imperialism. Bad white people have ruined the world so... brown people are entitled to take what they have.

WaPo giving this anti-white racist a platform

In reality, of course, Omar's family members' were among Mohamed Siad Barre's henchmen. They had to escape Somalia because they were hated by the people they oppressed.

Washington Post: "I am an uppity immigrant. Don't expect me to be grateful"
My problem with all of this, is that many countries were actually better off due to western imperialism, and local practices were often fairly uncivilised and cruel, whilst was the caste system in India any better than imperialism and slavey. Furthermore in terms of India, they were worse off under the rule of the Muslim Mughals who used Indians as slaves, indeed it was the British who eventually stopped the very long history of slavery that had existed from ancient times.

In terms of British rule, it has to be seen in the context of the plight of India before Britain became involved, and it should be noted that Britain never had more than 70,000 troops in India (a country with a population approaching 400 million by the time the British left), so for the British to remain in charge the Indians had to be complicit and willing, as the fact was that British rule in India was a joint effort, impossible without the widespread co operation of Indians themselves and it was the same in may parts of the Empire, which was largelly based on trade and trading companies.

As for Britain it kept a small army, and large navy, relying on local to police to keep law and order and local soldiers to defend territories themselves, whilst new trade helped improve nations through invetment in infrastruicture such as railways and the development of industry and commerce, however a lot of this is largely forgotten by the left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nipral Dhaliwal

Despite the country's vast population, there were never more than 70,000 British troops in India; the running of the country required an enormous infrastructure of native troops, police and bureaucrats. As Hitler observed, Indians merely had to spit all at once and every Briton in India would have drowned.

Indians assisted with Empire because it brought them unprecedented order and civility. Indians were no strangers to outside rulers; for eight centuries before the Raj, the sub-continent had been subjected to the plunder and depravity of the Mughals - Muslim rulers who came from as far west as Turkey. Delhi was razed eight times in that period and great pyramids were constructed with the skulls of its inhabitants.

Because Islam permits the enslavement of non-Muslims, Indians were sold across the Islamic world in such quantities that the international price of slaves collapsed. The Afghan mountain range of the Hindu Khush (which translates as the 'Hindu Slaughter') is named after the huge numbers who died there while being marched to the markets of Arabia and Central Asia.

For all the artistic refinement and opulence of India's past rulers - and their poetry, music, and the magnificence of the Taj Mahal are testament to that - they oversaw a period of general barbarism in which the ordinary Indian was no more than a starving chattel.

The rebellions which eventually arose against the Mughals - such as the Sikhs in Punjab and the Marathas in the south - fractured the rulers' power, and enabled the British to get their own foot in the door.

At this point, it's important to remember that the British did not arrive in an idyllic sub-continent full of happy, contented Indians, but in one in extreme turmoil. And, though primarily motivated by profit, they sought to apply humane values - even if at gunpoint.

In 1846, the British commissioner, John Lawrence, told the local elite that Punjabis could no longer burn their widows, commit female infanticide, nor bury their lepers alive. When they protested, saying that he had promised there would be no interference in their religious customs, Lawrence steadfastly replied that it was British religious custom to hang anyone who did such things. In addition to combating these barbaric practices, the British also outlawed slavery in 1843 at a time when an estimated 10 million Indians were slaves - up to 15 per cent of the population in some regions.

The fact that Christianity is very much accepted in India (the next day, the neon sign outside the Mahalakshmi Temple proclaimed 'Merry Christmas' to its Hindu worshippers), is proof of the country's quiet acknowledgement that British rule in India left a legacy that unified its disparate peoples and enabled them to emerge as a power in the world.

Despite the often callous profiteering of Empire, the modern Indian state simply would not exist without it. Like the U.S., India is a nation fostered into being by Britain, and one which derives its romantic national identity from its struggle for independence. And just as Americans don't publicly admit that George Washington was an abysmal general who lost almost every battle, Indians don't explicitly recognise Britain's contribution to their country's present success.

But emulation is the sincerest form of flattery, and the fact that since 1947, Indians have built upon much of what Britain introduced them to - the English language, parliamentary democracy, the rule of law and the protection of individual rights - is an admission of the crucial role this country played in their history.

It's no overstatement to say that, without the British, Indians would not even know what it is to be Indian.After 800 years of Mughal rule, Hindu culture was in terminal decline and it was the likes of Warren Hastings and William Jones, the founders of the Asiatic Society, who began the collection and renewed study of India's ancient texts, educating Indians about their own rich and unique past. And it was a Briton, Allan Octavian Hume, who helped found the Indian national Congress - the political party that would eventually lead the country to independence.

Thousands of Indians died building the railways of the Raj, but countless more died building the Taj Mahal and other useless baubles for their earlier rulers.

For all they extracted from India, the British left behind a practical network of transportation, governance and values without which India would not be the dynamic democracy it is today. It is a mark of India's quiet appreciation as well as its great self-confidence that it asks for no apology for the past.Out of respect, no Briton should be condescending enough to offer one.

Britain has no need to make an apology to India for Empire

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-03-2019 at 08:44 AM..

Old 08-03-2019, 08:03 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
The author proclaims that America should leave other countries alone by not leaving them alone... Lol...

Old 08-08-2019, 10:44 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Seems a bit hypocritical: if white people are so bad, why are brown people better off when they move to white countries?
White countries are rich now, and desirable places to live, only because they stole stuff and exploited brown people in the past. So brown immigrants to white countries are claiming what rightfully belongs to them. It might be tough for a while, living with white people, but eventually they'll die off and all will be well.

Old 08-08-2019, 10:56 PM

1,503 posts, read 607,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I'm white. Where are my reparations?
Well, get into the line right after me
But don't hope too much - there are billions of people in front of us in that line

Old 08-08-2019, 10:57 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
That some argument. Let us all in because we blame your nation's people for stuff your nation never even did and have a grudge. Sounds more like a good reason to not let a single person from there emigrate into the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies