Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 10:45 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,715,012 times

Advertisements

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...te/2167020001/

So much animosity by the left against Straight people exercising their right to free speech. I agree it's tough to exercise free speech today when left is oppressing and silencing the majority with their hateful rhetoric.

The left should respect these people's right to free speech. Seems like they are no different than some homophobic people.

Old 09-02-2019, 10:56 AM

317 posts, read 224,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

So much animosity by the left against Straight people exercising their right to free speech. I agree it's tough to exercise free speech today when left is oppressing and silencing the majority with their hateful rhetoric.

The left should respect these people's right to free speech. Seems like they are no different than some homophobic people.
Oh you mean like the "Reverend Phelps" of the Westboro Baptist Church that openly protests against gays and military funerals of gay or lesbian soldiers? Yes, the "conservative right" sure do respect free speech, alright.

There are straight pride parades every day. It's called the drive-thru lane of Chick-Fil-A.

Interesting how these righteous conservatives love free speech, unless it's not their own.

Old 09-02-2019, 10:59 AM

4,660 posts, read 4,122,865 times
It is a double edged sword. On one hand, it is really redundant and unnecessary, as no one criticizes straight people for being straight. On the other, people absolutely have a right to do it and you are correct to point out left-wing fascism in opposing it.

They should perhaps re-tool the message of the parade to be the "traditional marriage" parade, or something. That would make it relevant politically. As it is it comes off a bit buffoonish, and that is coming from a guy in myself who, while he supports gay marriage, respects deeply the thoughts and feelings of those who don't.

Old 09-02-2019, 11:01 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miso Blu View Post
Oh you mean like the "Reverend Phelps" of the Westboro Baptist Church that openly protests against gays and military funerals of gay or lesbian soldiers? Yes, the "conservative right" sure do respect free speech, alright.

There are straight pride parades every day. It's called the drive-thru lane of Chick-Fil-A.

Interesting how these righteous conservatives love free speech, unless it's not their own.
I go to Chik-Fil-A not because I'm Christian, not because I'm anti-LGBTQIA but rather they have breakfast meals that I can eat. I don't like eggs so I'm relegated to a select group of items on breakfast meals, Chick-fil-A has the minis. So I wouldn't call that a Straight Pride Parade.

What I often find with people pushing homosexuality on them is when they kiss or hold hands in public. Yet they don't complain about heterosexuals commuting the same act of PDA.

Old 09-02-2019, 11:02 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
It's not bad -- just stupid.

Straight people have not traditionally had to FIGHT for their right to marriage, equality under the law, etc. So they don't have to parade to bring attention to their issues.

The whole point of gay pride is misunderstood by folks who struggle to open their minds just a wee bit.

Gay Pride is about bringing to the attention of everyone that LGBTQ community struggle with equality.

The most obvious issue recently has been the same sex marriage issue -- making sure that couples that commit to marriage and that are of the same sex, are considered the same as the traditional straight marriage.

The day that as a straight person I'm denied some basic right -- I will be the first to organize a parade...for not it is just stupid.

Old 09-02-2019, 11:06 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,144,139 times
There's nothing "bad" about it, it just comes off as very attention-seeking. Congratulations, you're straight. Want a medal?

At least for LGBT people, they've been historically heavily oppressed and persecuted until relatively recently, so they have a good reason to celebrate their hard won rights and voice.

Old 09-02-2019, 11:08 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,194,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

Free speech rights does not entitle one to absence of consequences from their speech. That the marchers fail to understand the purpose of Pride parades is a total affront. Imma gonna be at the Free Mom Hugs float for our Pride parade this year.

Old 09-02-2019, 11:13 AM

15,848 posts, read 6,551,421 times
Meh. It just comes off as a bit insecure. But whatever.

Old 09-02-2019, 11:17 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,561 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
It is a double edged sword. On one hand, it is really redundant and unnecessary, as no one criticizes straight people for being straight. On the other, people absolutely have a right to do it and you are correct to point out left-wing fascism in opposing it.

They should perhaps re-tool the message of the parade to be the "traditional marriage" parade, or something. That would make it relevant politically. As it is it comes off a bit buffoonish, and that is coming from a guy in myself who, while he supports gay marriage, respects deeply the thoughts and feelings of those who don't.
so its fascist to oppose a straight pride parade meant solely for the purpose of being antagonistic towards gay people, but not fascist to oppose gay marriage ?

Your post alone, shows a very deep philosophical flaw that people who are right of center have. Your morality dictates righteousness and anyone you disagree with becomes the worst you can think of, "fascist" in this case... while giving yourself a pass for doing far worse from the other side of the spectrum.

Old 09-02-2019, 11:21 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,450,992 times
Don't you understand? You're NOT allowed to be proud if you're a straight, white, Christian, male. The leftist world needs a group to hate and to blame their failures on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies