Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2019, 08:42 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,979,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
What the "good guy with the gun rhetoric" gets wrong is that mass shooters ambush their victims. Somehow the gun fanatics, who buy this spoon fed nonsense from the NRA, imagine some sort of a gun draw.
And what the other side ignores is that the only way to stop the criminal is to call someone else and wait 5-10 minutes for them to arrive with the tool that is needed to stop it.

Why would we want to ban so many law abiding citizens from having the opportunity to be present with the most important tool needed to hopefully end the situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2019, 08:42 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
2750 people killed by Knives or cutting instruments, Blunt objects (clubs, hammers, etc.) and Personal weapons, (hands, fists, feet, etc.) - Completely 100% disagree with you....yea, facts....

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...a-table-11.xls
If knives are so powerful instruments of mass murder, why didn't the mass murder shooters commit their carnage with knives instead of AK-47s or other firearms?

Old 09-04-2019, 08:43 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,376,630 times
Wal Mart is a private company so it is good that they have made a decision that they think is best for their stores and customers. There is no reason they should allow a person to walk into a big store with a rifle slung around their back or a pistol in an open carry holster around their waist. That person is not making the store or the people in the store "safer". They are intimidating people because we don't know how stable that gun carrier's state of mind is.

One time I was sitting in a coffee shop in Tucson when a guy in full military style camo came in with a pistol in an open carry holster around his waist. The camo looked new with no LEO or military insignia, so I knew he was civilian. He sat at the counter a few chairs from me. I'm an Army veteran, so I asked him what branch of service he was in. He mumbled but didn't answer. Within seconds the waitress came over, and pointed at the sign above the counter and at the entrance to the coffee shop "No civilian open carry weapons allowed. This is a private business." She asked him politely to leave, showed him her cell phone with 911 ready to dial. Mr Tough Guy got up and left after calling the waitress some profane names. I left her a $10 tip.

Old 09-04-2019, 08:44 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,586,584 times
Quote:
Well, that point flew extremely far over your head...here Kindergarten easy:

take guns away, as you suggest, people will still kill....

It's a shame it has to be broken down like that....but whatever....
First, I didn't say that we had to "take all guns away" nor did I suggest that doing so would stop all murders. However, other countries have successfully implemented anti-gun measures that have reduced deaths and injuries stemming from gun violence. If you want to suggest that we discuss measures to reduce screwdriver deaths in conjunction with the gun measures, I'm all for it. However, our current failure to reduce screwdriver deaths should in no way dis-incentivize or otherwise hamstring us from taking already-proven steps to reduce gun deaths.

Like any legislation, no gun control law will be perfect, nor will it eliminate all gun-related violence and murder (much less screwdriver-related murders). However, other first-world counties have already proven that they materially curtail gun violence and death. That in and of itself is a worthy goal, regardless of whether one can also be killed by a screwdriver, box truck, or hand.

Old 09-04-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
How do you stop ambushes?
How do we stop other nations from discharging nuclear bombs?

Old 09-04-2019, 08:46 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
If knives are so powerful instruments of mass murder, why didn't the mass murder shooters commit their carnage with knives instead of AK-47s or other firearms?

Ask Richard Speck.

Old 09-04-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Wal Mart is a private company so it is good that they have made a decision that they think is best for their stores and customers. There is no reason they should allow a person to walk into a big store with a rifle slung around their back or a pistol in an open carry holster around their waist. That person is not making the store or the people in the store "safer". They are intimidating people because we don't know how stable that gun carrier's state of mind is.

One time I was sitting in a coffee shop in Tucson when a guy in full military style camo came in with a pistol in an open carry holster around his waist. The camo looked new with no LEO or military insignia, so I knew he was civilian. He sat at the counter a few chairs from me. I'm an Army veteran, so I asked him what branch of service he was in. He mumbled but didn't answer. Within seconds the waitress came over, and pointed at the sign above the counter and at the entrance to the coffee shop "No civilian open carry weapons allowed. This is a private business." She asked him politely to leave, showed him her cell phone with 911 ready to dial. Mr Tough Guy got up and left after calling the waitress some profane names. I left her a $10 tip.
That waitress had more courage than most gun toting cowards.

Old 09-04-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Ask Richard Speck.
You have to go back to 1941? Imagine if the Las Vegas shooter threw knives from his hotel window instead of using high powered firearms.

Old 09-04-2019, 08:49 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,979,187 times
Quote:
That waitress had more courage than most gun toting cowards.
People who own legal personal items = cowards

But....

A poster who generalizes law abiding citizens as cowards because she has the anonymity of the internet covering her =

Old 09-04-2019, 08:50 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
I addressed it! Post # 179 You're welcome.
No thanks you didnt address anything, you sidestepped it, like most of your illogical posts lol
Quote:
We want to disarm Iran and NK from having nuclear weapons. Why would we do that if it is not the nuclear weapon that kills but the leader of that country discharging the nuclear bomb?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies