Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2019, 02:20 PM

33,527 posts, read 37,128,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Try Chantix.

To be fair, Vaping wasn't a thing when I was quitting smoking so I don't really know. It's soon going to be demonized worse than cigarettes.
So far 6 people have died, supposedly from vaping...How many die from smoking?

As for chantix...A researcher at the National Institute on Drug Abuse, found that Chantix was associated with incredibly dangerous side effects in many individuals, including suicide attempts and seizures, as well as psychosis, depression, and serious injuries resulting from dizziness, loss of consciousness and death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2019, 02:22 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,608,156 times
Default Trump administration moves to ban flavored e-cigarettes

I am sure it is a good intent, but the obvious result will be the teens switching over to tobacco. They are already hooked, so it seems like the natural choice.

Big tobacco will send him a thank you letter.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/11/polit...ors/index.html

President Donald Trump said Wednesday that the US Food and Drug Administration would be putting out "some very strong recommendations" regarding the use of flavored e-cigarettes in "a couple of weeks."

Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar, seated in the Oval Office with the President, first lady Melania Trump and the acting commissioner of the FDA, announced that newly proposed enforcement policy would require flavored e-cigarette companies to take their products off the market.

Old 09-11-2019, 02:25 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,585,453 times
I don’t smoke but I know that vaping has helped people quit cigarettes. Vaping weed is burning people’s lungs. I don’t recommend doing either.

Old 09-11-2019, 02:31 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,000,087 times
Health officials haven’t linked any specific substance or products to the illnesses, and no single product has been associated with all of the cases.

Old 09-11-2019, 02:33 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,000,087 times
I know lots of people who have quit smoking without vaping.

Many of those getting sick aren't trying to quit -- some have just started vaping.

There may be an additive -- a Vitamin E oil used to 'thicken' the vape that may be an issue.

but as my previous post said.....Health officials haven’t linked any specific substance or products to the illnesses, and no single product has been associated with all of the cases.

Old 09-11-2019, 02:38 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,067,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
I switched to vaping to help quit smoking as well. About 3 months in I landed in the ER several times because I couldn't breathe. Quit vaping and haven't had an issue again. That was 5 years ago. Still smoking, unfortunately, albeit lightly (less than 1/2 pack).

I highly recommend you watch Dave Chappelle's latest live gig. He sets that damn stupid ass "just say no" garbage straight. Just tell a heroine addict to say no! Just say no mister crack head! Tell an alcoholic to say no and see what happens.

Just say no is right in there with we're all winners.
You toucha' my booze, I breaka' you face.

Old 09-11-2019, 02:39 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 19 days ago)

29,549 posts, read 16,533,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
He sets that damn stupid ass "just say no" garbage straight. Just tell a heroine addict to say no! Just say no mister crack head! Tell an alcoholic to say no and see what happens.

I get your argument, and if that is the best way for you to quit smoking, go for it, but if you are one of those " i can quit when ever i want to types," why not use Nicotine patches ?????

Old 09-11-2019, 03:03 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,093,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Health officials haven’t linked any specific substance or products to the illnesses, and no single product has been associated with all of the cases.
Yup.. it is premature to label all vaping as harmful or responsible. 10 million vapers in the US and only 6 cases of deaths. One of the issue with the public understanding is that unlike smoking cigarettes where most cigarette products have basically the same chemical makeup, vaping is not.

You have the actual system but the e-juice you put it in can be one of 1000s out there... It could very well be a home brewed ejuice that was improperly prepared or made with inappropriate additives.

Old 09-11-2019, 03:05 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,400,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
480,000 people die of smoking tobacco every year out of 34 million smokers in the US
6 people died out of 10 million vapers in the US.

Yet... vape is a bigger health concern than tobacco smoke?

All this publicity over vaping is a huge win for Big Tobacco... their market has been shrinking at a fast pace.
Yes ,kinda overblown but perhaps the tobacco companies are behind the media drive ?

While comforting that Melania and Trump have shown such a compassion and concern
for vaping to the extent that after 4 people dying they are ready to ban part of the
products .
Perhaps they could apply this same tactic to gun violence?
Seems to me that many more young people die from mass shootings and the like?

Old 09-11-2019, 03:06 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,093,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
Yes ,kinda overblown but perhaps the tobacco companies are behind the media drive ?
Absolutely! Tobacco sales have been declining rapidly and certainly there are some pockets to be bought.

480,000 people die every year from smoking tobacco.... don't see a rush to ban smoking out of "compassion".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies