Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 11:52 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,515,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Oh, you bet!

She's also going to run for president in 2024 and win that election. Ya'll better make sure to stay on her good side or else!

Seriously, why wouldn't AOC be re-elected in 2020? The demographics in her district weigh heavily in her favor. Would she win in a different district? Probably not, but who knows?
Her district was held by the 10-term, #4 Democrat in the House, Joe Crowley, until last November. He is a lefty, but more moderate. She was able to beat him because this was a midterm primary, where the turnout is as low as it is ever going to be.

Joe Crowley has not announced he is going to run again yet to take this seat back, but with AOC's announcement today that she is backing a primary challenger to a sitting Democrat Congressman, she will have no moral credibility to object to such a challenge.

Last May, Joe Crowley was interviewed and said that AOC was the "most vulnerable" to defeat in her first re-election contest. Here is an article about that:

Quote:
Joe Crowley: Ocasio-Cortez 'most vulnerable' to defeat in 2020

"I don't have plans to challenge at this point in time," Crowley, 57, said when asked about 2020 during a Fox News interview with Neil Cavuto.

"I do think that she's probably most vulnerable in a first reelection," he said, adding that Ocasio-Cortez has "become a national figure, an international figure in so many ways and that bodes well for her, I think, in terms of reelection."

Asked if he thinks Ocasio-Cortez will be challenged for the Democratic nomination in the New York City district that includes parts of the Bronx and Queens, Crowley said, "I suspect she probably will, but I don't have certitude on that."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 11:59 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,275,484 times
Quote:
Oh, you bet!

She's also going to run for president in 2024 and win that election. Ya'll better make sure to stay on her good side or else!

Seriously, why wouldn't AOC be re-elected in 2020? The demographics in her district weigh heavily in her favor. Would she win in a different district? Probably not, but who knows?
Smoking that Colorado weed?

Old 09-17-2019, 12:01 PM

29,445 posts, read 14,631,447 times
Quote:
AOC is only the beginning of the flood of youthful women of color who will soon be strolling through the halls of Congress like they own the place. In fact, they WILL own the place. I can't wait. BWAH HA HA, trumplings! Halloween is coming early and you all better be hiding in your fav safe place when AOC and the Squad come to get you!
Wow...unhinged much ?

Old 09-17-2019, 12:19 PM

9,875 posts, read 7,202,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio Cortez is rushing out to endorse a primary challenger to a sitting conservative leaning Illinois Democrat Congressman.

Presumably it has not occurred to her that this also serves as an endorsement for any challenger who might want to challenge her in her New York district, including perhaps the former incumbent Joe Crowley, who she unseated just last November.

Congressional terms last two years. If you win one, there is no guarantee that you get another. If she keeps up like this, AOC very well might not be back for a second term.
...and??? Last week she endorsed the incumbent Sen. Markey from MA who is probably going to face a primary challenge from Joe Kennedy III. Does this serve as an endorsement for nobody to challenge her?

Old 09-17-2019, 12:20 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,543,034 times
AOCDS is strong in this thread.

Old 09-17-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
...and??? Last week she endorsed the incumbent Sen. Markey from MA who is probably going to face a primary challenge from Joe Kennedy III. Does this serve as an endorsement for nobody to challenge her?
If AOC is encouraging primary challenges to other congressional Democrats - as she clearly is here - she might as well send out engraved invitations to potential Democrat challengers in her district.

If Joe Crowley runs against her this time - in a presidential year - AOC is a goner.

Old 09-17-2019, 03:33 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,933,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Wow...unhinged much ?
Wow... no sense of humor much?

Why do conservatives have such a difficult time with satire and jokes? You guys must lead such grim lives.

Old 09-17-2019, 03:37 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,933,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Smoking that Colorado weed?
Nah, I stick to my Kentucky roots and indulge in bourbon. Is it 5:00 yet?

Old 09-17-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Nah, I stick to my Kentucky roots and indulge in bourbon. Is it 5:00 yet?
On the East Coast, it is 5:30.

Old 09-17-2019, 03:44 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,053,982 times
Good for her. It's nice to see the democrats moving leftward. Democrats are about 20 years behind the republicans in their race toward the furthest edges of their party's wing. The old, white male GOP has demonstrated time and time again that they are unwilling to compromise even one inch, so its time for the left to swing their own cudgel right back at them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies