Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should I go along with my scheme?
Yes, do it, dude. 17 43.59%
No, don't do it, dude. 22 56.41%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 06:15 PM

769 posts, read 2,232,739 times

Advertisements

I hate it when I go to a restaurant and try to have a pleasant dining experience only to have some smoker mess it up by puffing toxins into my precious breathing air. I also hate the fact that he thinks he has the "right" to mess up his health as well as my own. I also hate the fact that he thinks his right to mess up my air is more important than my right to have clean air and enjoy a pleasant, tranquil dining experience.

So I have a solution to this problem that I just may take up: I am going to go to restaurants and start wearing dirty clothes that reek and sit next to a smoker so he can smell me. Then I am going to constantly let out the nastiest, most ferocious fartbombs known to man. I am also going to slurp my beer loudly and burp it out loudly. Finally I am going to start coughing, hacking, and wheezing these phlegm-filled coughs so loud that even the cooks can hear.

All this just so a smoker can know how it feels to have his dining experience destroyed by the insensitivity of others. And if anybody tries to give me crap I'm going to say I have a natural right to fart, cough, and burp. Unlike smoking the body actually needs to do those things in order to stay healthy. And if anybody tries to give me crap about my stench I'm going to disregard them. "Why do you think I stink?" I'll say. "You're insulting me. I naturally smell this way. You should enjoy my company and disregard my stench because it is my natural right to act this way. The government shouldn't regulate my funk no more than it should regulate smoking. Get out of my face!" And if they try to throw me out I'll say it is bad for business to throw away a paying customer. Me and my funk help keep this joint alive.

So what do you think? Should I do it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 06:41 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,289,953 times
haha, if you could get a good large cloud of people to do it with you that would be a protest...
Their is a saying that goes "having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a pool"
I'm anti pee-in-the-pool so logically....

Old 04-17-2008, 06:47 PM

236 posts, read 1,085,692 times
What,

You must be in the last place in the country that allows smoking in restaurants. Even in East Tennessee, you won't have that problem.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:47 PM

408 posts, read 696,095 times
Hahahahahaha....I am a smoker but I think smokers should have consideration for others. I say do it!! Let us know how it goes.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:03 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,689,318 times
or you could start a movement to get a smoking ban for you city or state, it worked in Nebraska and Omaha before that but still do it just to see what happens

Old 04-17-2008, 07:22 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,887,032 times
The last thing the US needs is more nanny state government. Private property rights actually exist. They trump the ficticious right to clean air. Sorry it doesn't exist.

I dislike smokers in restaurants, so guess what, I go to places that don't allow smoking. Even before the statewide ban I could count the number of smoking restaurants on my right hand.

You have a right to stink, go ahead and do it, by all means. But you will look like a jackass and sink to the same level of smokers. You will no doubt effect more nonsmokers than smokers, and probably enrage the smokers so much that they double their intake to spite you.

If some one on their own free will opens a restaurant, they have every right to allow who ever they want in, if they like smokers but not stinkers your out of luck.

Now quit whining, and mind your own business please.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:36 PM

146 posts, read 689,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
Private property rights actually exist. They trump the ficticious right to clean air. Sorry it doesn't exist.
This is the single most asinine remark I've ever seen on City-Data, and that's saying something!

Old 04-17-2008, 07:47 PM

904 posts, read 2,873,183 times
No. I'm a non-smoker, but except in extreme situations (or if I have a cold), I'm not much bothered by it. I'm also pretty sure that the negative effects of second-hand smoke have been exaggerated, though that's a topic for another time.

Smoking is an awful habit and ought to be actively discouraged, but I think things have begun to go a bit too far in that regard. At some point you've got to just throw up your hands and say "you know what, if people want to give themselves cancer that's their business."

Old 04-17-2008, 07:48 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,887,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlez View Post
This is the single most asinine remark I've ever seen on City-Data, and that's saying something!
How so?

People who own and operate a business have a right to do what they will on their property. If they want to allow smokers that is the owner of the establishments right. The so-called right to go to a restaurant and breath clean air doesn't exist, I'm sorry, but that just isn't a right.

What's asinine is people making up "rights" that suit themselves while trumping others rights.

I just don't buy into people demanding something like that, when they voluntarily enter into that establishment. Smoking should be banned in buildings people need to visit; the DMV for example. But there are many other restaurants, you can go to.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:51 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
The last thing the US needs is more nanny state government. Private property rights actually exist. They trump the ficticious right to clean air. Sorry it doesn't exist.

I dislike smokers in restaurants, so guess what, I go to places that don't allow smoking. Even before the statewide ban I could count the number of smoking restaurants on my right hand.

You have a right to stink, go ahead and do it, by all means. But you will look like a jackass and sink to the same level of smokers. You will no doubt effect more nonsmokers than smokers, and probably enrage the smokers so much that they double their intake to spite you.

If some one on their own free will opens a restaurant, they have every right to allow who ever they want in, if they like smokers but not stinkers your out of luck.

Now quit whining, and mind your own business please.
There are lots of restrictions on "private property rights". I can't understand why smokers, and some non-smokers, decide the "right to smoke" is one worth fighting for. Smokers are addicts, so I can sort of understand that, but non-smokers? No one has a right to assault someone on private property, rape, murder, yell "fire" in a crowded restaurant, etc. A business owner has to comply with a lot of laws, including, at a restaurant, food preparation laws. S/he does not have an unfettered "right" to serve contaminated food, etc. S/he must pay taxes, and pay the workers a minimum wage (which, yes, I know is lower than regular minimum wage if you work for tips), all sorts of things. What is the big deal with the "right" to smoke, that it trumps all those?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies