Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2019, 09:10 AM

10,482 posts, read 4,046,033 times

Advertisements

Why do polls often ask if a person is white non Hispanic, or Hispanic, but they never seem to ask about if a Black person is Black non Hispanic? Like, I know a woman who is from the Dominic Republic and is also Black. So what box would she check? Hispanic since her first language is Spanish, or Black because her skin color is Black. And what is the point of these polling questions to begin with? What is the real agenda behind it where they don't want Hispanics to declare that they are White?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2019, 08:08 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,470,309 times
This has to do quite a bit with how people identify themselves and the Census. Hispanic or Latino is viewed as an Ethnicity not as a race for Census purposes. The race of someone who identifies as Hispanic is also asked in the Census.

Using the 2010 Census as an example, 8.7% of the country identified as both Hispanic and White, and 0.4% of the country identified as both Hispanic and Black. In other words a little over 50% of those who stated they were Hispanic were also counted in the white category, meanwhile less than 3% of those who stated they were Hispanic were also counted as black.

If you are a pollster trying to get a representative sample of the electorate you are going to want the racial data to match the area you are polling. If you are polling in Texas or New Mexico you are going to look to poll far more Hispanics and fewer Non-Hispanic whites than you would if you were polling Iowa or Ohio.

Old 10-05-2019, 09:00 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,786,962 times
Black Hispanics are pretty rare outside of NYC and Florida.

Old 10-06-2019, 01:01 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,402,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Black Hispanics are pretty rare outside of NYC and Florida.
What is perhaps even rarer is a Danish-Mexican. I am 25% Mexican on Mom's side. Along with the 25% Danish on Dad's side, those 2 ethnicities make-up the highest percentage of my various ethnic make-ups.

Old 10-06-2019, 08:32 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,179,518 times
US culture tends to have a difficult time grasping that everyone “black” isn’t “African-American.” And because the two are often used interchangeably, others sometimes will not identify with the “black” label.

Old 10-06-2019, 09:43 AM

19,812 posts, read 9,371,980 times
I am saying this again (for what seems to me to be the hundredth time) that ALL questions related to race, skin color, ethnicity, etc. should be eliminated in the U.S. With so many children being born as a result "mixed" marriages/relationships, it is just, imo, impossible for many (if not most) people to answer 100% accurately. My husband has two nieces who are half Euro-white and half a combination of black, Latino, Filipino, and Japanese ancestry, so how can she answer any of those questions other than to say "Mixed"? And this (people with a greatly mixed heritage) is going to be even more common in the not-too-distant future and probably the norm rather than the exception in three more generations at most, imo.

(And, btw, I think this will be a GOOD thing because I am just disgusted by all this "racial" divisiveness in the U.S. today.)

Old 10-06-2019, 10:29 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times
I am Irish-Martian. They leave me out completely.

Old 10-06-2019, 12:02 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,179,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
There’s always the “other” box. LOL.

Old 10-06-2019, 12:20 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,729,801 times
I have seen "black, hispanic" and "black, non-hispanic" before. I don't know about recently, though. The next time I take one of those polls, I will look.

Old 10-06-2019, 12:33 PM

18,025 posts, read 27,472,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Why do polls often ask if a person is white non Hispanic, or Hispanic, but they never seem to ask about if a Black person is Black non Hispanic? Like, I know a woman who is from the Dominic Republic and is also Black. So what box would she check? Hispanic since her first language is Spanish, or Black because her skin color is Black. And what is the point of these polling questions to begin with? What is the real agenda behind it where they don't want Hispanics to declare that they are White?
Because democrats pander to Black Americans and Hispanic Americans equally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Ok Gazoo, you're the bloody bstard that brought alcoholism to our clan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
US culture tends to have a difficult time grasping that everyone “black” isn’t “African-American.” And because the two are often used interchangeably, others sometimes will not identify with the “black” label.
Speak for yourself.

I use the term Black American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies