Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2019, 01:01 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,401,741 times

Advertisements

Even if I was a Democrat, I would have to agree that this climate change threat have a lot of exaggerations. I wonder how much Greta has influenced such an exaggeration. Probably way too much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2019, 01:27 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,116,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
My family has owned some beach front property in New Jersey since the 1950's, and nothing has changed to the property landscape in those 75 years. I was a neighborhood party (my house which is not at the shore), we were talking about our shore house and my neighbor started yelling how we were idiots for having a shore house and its going to disappear in 5 years and her 'scientist' husband (he really is a retired biology researcher) backed her up, and they know everything because he is a 'scientist'.

The stupidity and rage of these (somewhat smart) people are unbelievable, I truly believe its demonic possession.
Or they are tired of breathing smog and peoples nasty diesel fumes on the highway (outside of semi trucks hauling public goods in the middle of the night). Peoples private diesel trucks or private semi's driving at day time hours is a major problem in alot of locals.

Old 10-04-2019, 03:02 AM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I think that if you live in a coastal city, and you get hit with a hurricane, you dont care what its called, you just want your elected officials to be able to pay for sea walls, storm drains, and levees.

That shouldnt be so hard to understand, and yet it is for the right wing.
No, everyone on the right wing understand that hurricanes hit coastal cities on the Gulf of Mexico and Atlantic like they have for thousand of years and you can somewhat reduce the impact by spending billions but you cannot prevent a harsh hurricane from doing destruction and killing people which they have been doing since mankind settled these areas. Do the left now thing they can change the climate to stop hurricanes?

Since I was in college in the 70's, experts (so called) have made claims of climate calamity that have not come close to occurring and they are continuing to do this today....why should I believe claims by people who are batting 0 for a thousand in their predictions.

Yes, I know the climate has warmed over time, after all, where I currently live used to be under a sheet of ice year round thousands of years ago.

Old 10-04-2019, 03:09 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
NONE of their predictions have come true since 1970. NONE. Now they give it another 12 years until disaster. So we are supposed to believe them this time? This is a pure income and wealth redistribution scam. ALL of their "solutions" are economic and social engineering. Hoax and scam. The 16 year old from Sweden, that is the leader of their movement just proved it's all false.

Old 10-04-2019, 03:29 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,738,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
I mean, look at all this panic and hysteria. Don't you think the message is being pushed way too hard?

Or do you really believe that after ten years, humanity will be doomed?
I'd rather see Republicans first concede that AGW is ****ing real in the first place. Who cares if "the message is being pushed way too hard?" Some things are worth fighting for. No one gains anything by Democrats backing down on this, except big oil companies.

Old 10-04-2019, 05:12 AM

8,059 posts, read 3,946,325 times
Dear Democrats,

When you can no longer distinguish between a climate cultist or a troll screaming "eat the babies"...

... you might, maybe be pushing the hysteria a bit too hard!

Old 10-04-2019, 05:17 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,302,796 times
Everything is hysteria til it happens to you.

Old 10-04-2019, 05:37 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,736,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I think that if you live in a coastal city, and you get hit with a hurricane, you dont care what its called, you just want your elected officials to be able to pay for sea walls, storm drains, and levees.

That shouldnt be so hard to understand, and yet it is for the right wing.
I accept the basics of climate science. Greenhouse gasses do exactly what they say they do. They trap heat and make things warmer.

That said, hurricanes are one of the weakest links in the entire global warming argument. After having hurricanes with great regularity like clockwork since before anyone in Europe even knew there was an Western Hemisphere, we just recently saw something very strange: We went 10 years without a significant hurricane. I'm pretty sure that's unprecedented. Meanwhile, weather related tragedies predate humanity entirely, but during recorded history, they've been with us all along.

Notable climate related records in US history:
  • Deadliest tornado in US History: Tri-State Tornado 1925 750 people killed. Easily on par and probably bigger than any tornado that has struck since.
  • Deadliest Hurricane: Galveston Hurricane of 1900 killed between 8,000 and 12,000. Easily as big and scary as any recent hurricane.
  • Hottest day ever recorded on Earth: 134 degrees in Death Valley on July 10, 1913
So yeah I'd say it's fair that the current shrieking outrage is based on massive exaggeration. Doesn't mean that the science underpinning the argument is wrong. It just means that the global warming alarmists are exaggerating things. I still believe we should ditch coal-fired plant in favor of clean nuclear plants. I will continue to think that recycling is a good idea. The Tesla Roadster 2 is still my dream car in part because driving the thing does not pollute. Clean air, water and land is it's own reward and plenty of motivation for us to do better. Things seem to be gradually warming, but you're not going to get people on board with doing better by running around like Chicken Little shrieking, "THE SKY IS FALLING!!! THE SKY IS FALLING!!! WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!! WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!" Much easier to sell people on ideas that make everyone's life better across the board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies