Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 08:35 PM

6,344 posts, read 11,092,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I have only been to Walmart twice so I will assume, for the sake of argument, that you are correct, more or less.

But that brings some questions that perhaps you can answer:

Are you and others saying that Walmart sells all the Made In China crap, but the few remaining Mom & Pop stores do not? Are the Mom & Pop stores selling no Chinese goods or goods from other countries? Only Made in the USA goods?

Please answer this in full. Its not an attempt at a row but rather a very serious question. Thanks.
***Moth. Yes, unfortunately most of the junk sold in our stores is now manufactured in Red China. Here's a link to some American made products. U.S. Stuff Home- Made in USA Products, Assembled in USA Products, usstuff.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 06:55 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I don't see things changing much;people will still leave the cities and their decaying infrstructure. The trend seems to be for businesses to move to the burbs and for commerce to follow.Mass transit will also move those that need to from the burbs to the city as seen in plans across the country.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:04 AM

55 posts, read 198,308 times
Yes im sure starting with the poor and lower class some changes will be made to their lifestyles.

Me personally? absolutely not. I have an hour commute on the interstate to work and automobile is 100% necessary to get to work and back home, and to go grocery shopping or whatever errands i run. Even as gas prices rise i still have no problem affording to fill my car, so until it reaches gargantuan prices like $10 a gallon, im not too worried yet.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:11 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
47 - you are most fortunate.

The less fortunate, like me and my family, are already changing our driving habits and foregoing vacations because of the fuel costs. My refill costs have doubled in the last three years and my salary has not kept pace with this inflation. We have just about eliminated all discretionary spending because we will not go into debt for things we want but do not need. I have even put off dental work because of the lack of available money and inadaquate insurance.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:13 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times
camping and WILWRadio:

Thanks for the responses, but they did not answer my question. I asked is it true that Walmart carries Made In China crap while Made In USA stuff makes it to the Mom & Pops. That seemed to be what Denverian is implying.

Personally, I find that rather hard to believe seeing that any Mom & Pop store, as much as any still exist, would carry the same stuff as Walmart, albeit in smaller quanities and higher prices. But as I have only been to Walmart 2x, I am keeping an open mind.

Anyone want to jump in? Denveran?

Old 04-22-2008, 07:21 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I think that "made in America" is generally applied to higher quality and priced goods than the imported Chinese junk. Frequently Made in America is handcrafted jewelry, furniture, cloths, and houses. Not blue jeans and underwear.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:39 AM

please dont interpret my post wrong i mean im not wealthy or anything, i just have the ability to continue to spend money on gas without having to sacrifice much if anything at all.

I can understand vacations getting the boot because those really arent that important anyways in the grand scheme of things. I guess the reason i wont have to sacrifice much is because i had a pretty lowkey lifestyle anyways. I never purchased anything extravagant, and our cars are all paid off, we rent and have a good deal on an apartment, etc etc

so when it comes to tough times like this, it just means that money that could have been used for a week vacation overseas or something for a house (that we dont use) is just going towards the extra cost of gas

i hopefully wont have to get rid of even the small frivolous things we spend money on, like netflix or our high speed internet and cable tv

Old 04-22-2008, 07:43 AM

I personally think that made in america is a little overrated. Maybe when it comes to items like fans or alarm clocks, the quality is less with those cheapo ones you get at walmart.. but let me ask you this, who the heck wants to use the same alarm clock for more than a year anyways?

to me its like a wristwatch, pair of sneakers... could i go spend more on a nice pair that will last 3 years? sure, but i would rather buy the cheapo pair that lasts 5 months and just replace it, having the same stuff for a long time gets boring anyways... like my cellphone for example, its real nice when you first get it, but after 6 months you always want the newer one

and when it comes to important purchases like an automobile, thats where the Made In America becomes a very bad thing

foreign automobiles are cheaper, higher quality, and longer lasting in almost all cases

Old 04-22-2008, 07:51 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Will our personal habits change with the rising price of fuel?

No, I do not see any changes in the horizon.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:52 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
camping and WILWRadio:

Thanks for the responses, but they did not answer my question. I asked is it true that Walmart carries Made In China crap while Made In USA stuff makes it to the Mom & Pops. That seemed to be what Denverian is implying.

Personally, I find that rather hard to believe seeing that any Mom & Pop store, as much as any still exist, would carry the same stuff as Walmart, albeit in smaller quanities and higher prices. But as I have only been to Walmart 2x, I am keeping an open mind.

Anyone want to jump in? Denveran?
Sorry, I thought I answered it.......what I was saying is that made in China crap is definatly stocked at wal mart and other national stores, if a mom and pop local store wants to compete with a walmart, it would have to stock the same crap as made in USA tends to be more expensive.
However, I have seen mom and pop type stores stock only locally made/grown goods ----- but then instead of mom and pop grocery store it becomes mom and pop boutique chic with prices that make it unaccessable for the average joe. I would gladly forgo walmart, target, penneys etc....but the sad reality is, I can't afford to shop exclusively at the local level. Especially for things like groceries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies