Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 06:12 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times

Advertisements

The story of the "trainer" killed while "wrestling" a bear brings that point home! I do not understand why people always want to "put the animal down" when it kills a person who was obviously making the animal do things the animal does not desire to do.
Teaching a dog to beg or a cat to flush the toilet is one thing but when you start playing around with lions, bears and sharks, you are asking for trouble. Why is it that people feel the need to mess with wild animals? Wild animals are meant to be just that- wild! They are not meant to be played with, teased, wrestled with or to have fools stick their heads in the animal's mouth! As for the bear, there is not reason to kill it. It should be taken to where it is in its own natural environment and let go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 06:26 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,163 times
I can somewhat agree. Unless the animal has a history of unprovoked aggression or is otherwise especially dangerous, I don't see the point.

Make no mistake, I'm not an animal rights person and animals don't have anything compared to human rights, but when someone who was doing something stupid or especially risky to or with an animal, what did they expect?

Old 04-24-2008, 06:30 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Why should we punish an animal for the foolishness of a person? Because we seem to need to avoid taking FULL responsibility for our actions.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:38 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The story of the "trainer" killed while "wrestling" a bear brings that point home! I do not understand why people always want to "put the animal down" when it kills a person who was obviously making the animal do things the animal does not desire to do.
Teaching a dog to beg or a cat to flush the toilet is one thing but when you start playing around with lions, bears and sharks, you are asking for trouble. Why is it that people feel the need to mess with wild animals? Wild animals are meant to be just that- wild! They are not meant to be played with, teased, wrestled with or to have fools stick their heads in the animal's mouth! As for the bear, there is not reason to kill it. It should be taken to where it is in its own natural environment and let go.

good point and I agree. I am opposed to "training" exotic animals, like lions, tigers, elephants etc. for entertainment purposes. They are not able to live a natural life and people should stick to training cats, dogs or other domesticated animals.

forum rules, please read them

Old 04-24-2008, 06:41 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Of course we are fault. An animal does what animals do and it is not only foolish but arrogant of us to believe they are here for our entertainment and pleasure and can be tamed.

Even Cats and Dogs which have been domesticated for a long, long time can "turn" on you.

We need to remember that animals are not toys and not there for us. It is not their primary role in life.

I hate when they put an animal down for doing what comes naturally when what we as humans were doing has disrupted or provoked the animal into it. Anyone stupid enough to make tigers do tricks on a stool or make them jump through hoops of fire deserves everything he gets.

Nature has a funny way of resurfacing even when we stupidly assume we have conquered it.

Wild animals deserve far more respect than we accord them and little "incidents" where tamers get killed is just another poignant and apt reminder that nature can never truly be tamed. More the fool us for ever believing we can.

Last edited by Mooseketeer; 04-24-2008 at 07:22 AM..

Old 04-24-2008, 06:43 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
I guess this happens when we view wild animals simply as 'entertainment'.
Entertainment in the broadest sense of the word can, and obviously does, kill people.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:46 AM

I wouldn't go so far as to say that we never can or never should train wild animals, but rather that we should show them the respect they deserve. They are stronger than us and can be extremely aggressive when angry or scared and we should use much caution and treat them decently if we do come into contact with them.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni
Quote:
I wouldn't go so far as to say that we never can or never should train wild animals, but rather that we should show them the respect they deserve. They are stronger than us and can be extremely aggressive when angry or scared and we should use much caution and treat them decently if we do come into contact with them.
I just don't see what's funny about bears dancing or monkeys riding a bicycle.
Maybe humans don't mind being tamed and / or conditioned, but that doesn't mean that other animals would enjoy it too.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by Frank_CarbonniI just don't see what's funny about bears dancing or monkeys riding a bicycle.
Maybe humans don't mind being tamed and / or conditioned, but that doesn't mean that other animals would enjoy it too.
Elephants can be used as beasts of burden. There is more uses to training animals than circuses.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni
Quote:
Elephants can be used as beasts of burden. There is more uses to training animals than circuses.
So you agree with me that no animal would like to be a beast of burden? Not even humans?
Yet (minimum) wage slavery is a very common occurrence.
But I guess this is for another topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies