Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2020, 04:24 PM

29,521 posts, read 22,668,047 times

Advertisements

Sweet deal for them.

https://news.yahoo.com/everyone-want...cation-brknews

Quote:
Things are different in Fisher Island, the exclusive enclave off Miami Beach that is one of the wealthiest places in America. No uninvited outsiders are allowed in. Entrance is permitted only by boat.

And everyone who lives or works there can now get tested to see if they have developed protective antibodies to the coronavirus.
Best article comment:

In a statement Tuesday, the University of Miami acknowledged that providing the tests to Fisher Island, though in accordance with its health system’s clinical standards, “may have created the impression that certain communities would receive preferential treatment That was not our intent."

Yeah. But that's what it did. It didn't just "create the impression." It cemented it in place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2020, 04:11 PM

57,311 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Default Everyone Wants an Antibody Test. Everyone on This Private Island Can Get One.

It gets better, this community on an island near Miami also got a $2M loan. So here is an isolated community on an island and they can get these tests that are lacking at many nursing home and why does a community with this type of isolation need to test everyone. Why is a community of millionaires getting a small business loan while other businesses are suffering.

Quote:
12:10 p.m.: The homeowners’ association for Fisher Island, an exclusive enclave near Miami that recently bought enough COVID-19 antibody tests for all of its residents and workers, has been approved for a $2 million loan through a federal program intended to help small businesses survive the COVID-19 pandemic.
Now, according to an email the association sent Wednesday, the association is taking a straw poll of residents on whether to accept the payout.

It wasn’t immediately clear how the Fisher Island Community Association — the master homeowners’ group for the wealthiest ZIP code in the United States — would plan to use the money. https://www.miamiherald.com/news/cor...#storylink=cpy[/LEFT]

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/cor...242219336.html

Quote:
The marina and club on the island, where one-time equity membership costs $250,000, are closed. So are the beach, golf course, tennis courts and pool.
“I call it Alcatraz — since we are surrounded by water and we have no place to go,” joked Daniel Azoulay, 74, a contemporary art and fashion photographer who has lived on the island for 29 years and has not left it for the past month.

Fisher Island paid for the tests that had been purchased by the University of Miami health clinic, Sissy DeMaria Koehne, a spokeswoman for the island, said in a statement. More than half of the residents are older than 60 and “at high risk,” the statement said.
The 1,800 tests, made by BioMedomics Inc., cost $17 each, Ms. DeMaria Koehne said. Testing began on April 6, and 1,250 people have been tested so far.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/14/u...and-tests.html

Old 04-23-2020, 04:16 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,738,099 times
We absolutely and without question need antibody tests available to every American. Things can't really start getting back to normal without it. Seems like red tape and bureaucracy is doing more to hold things up than anything else. Joe Rogan has had multiple antibody tests that were "unofficial" but worked just fine. So how about this: If the test works, push the FDA to pass it quickly.

Old 04-23-2020, 04:18 PM

18,458 posts, read 8,287,342 times
they say we have to be exposed to get antibodies...

...and at the same time, do everything in our power to not get exposed

Old 04-23-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
We absolutely and without question need antibody tests available to every American. Things can't really start getting back to normal without it. Seems like red tape and bureaucracy is doing more to hold things up than anything else. Joe Rogan has had multiple antibody tests that were "unofficial" but worked just fine. So how about this: If the test works, push the FDA to pass it quickly.
Some people cant get a test, but if you have enough money you can get access. I couldn't get a test if I tried but if you're a millionaire no problem. I would rather the tests go to people and businesses that need to reopen, not some gated community of retirees.

Old 04-23-2020, 04:28 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,738,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Some people cant get a test, but if you have enough money you can get access. I couldn't get a test if I tried but if you're a millionaire no problem. I would rather the tests go to people and businesses that need to reopen, not some gated community of retirees.
I don't disagree. Oddly enough, this underscores the usefulness of Trump's press conferences. As long as there are people bringing up, "People can't get tests" then it pushes things. Trump is an egomaniac and he'd love nothing better than to legitimately claim that his team has made tests available to everybody who wants one. I don't care whose ego gets stroked, I just want tests to be widely and easily available.

I also get that we're trying to go from zero to 330 million test kits. It can't happen overnight. I can accept the fact that I'll probably have to wait awhile.

Old 04-23-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
I don't disagree. Oddly enough, this underscores the usefulness of Trump's press conferences. As long as there are people bringing up, "People can't get tests" then it pushes things. Trump is an egomaniac and he'd love nothing better than to legitimately claim that his team has made tests available to everybody who wants one. I don't care whose ego gets stroked, I just want tests to be widely and easily available.

I also get that we're trying to go from zero to 330 million test kits. It can't happen overnight. I can accept the fact that I'll probably have to wait awhile.
I agree but I don't see us ever getting close to 100%, I just take issue with people occupying tests that are in short supply among other things. I would rather these went to the local hairdresser or restaurant cook, not someone in isolation.

Old 04-23-2020, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
they say we have to be exposed to get antibodies...

...and at the same time, do everything in our power to not get exposed
What do antibodies accomplish.

Old 04-23-2020, 04:47 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,647,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
What do antibodies accomplish.
Here you go Goodnight.

https://study.com/academy/lesson/wha...ion-types.html

Old 04-23-2020, 04:54 PM

30,641 posts, read 18,242,637 times
Quote:
Every American? Probably not. A well done, representative sample would suffice for informational and planning purposes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies