Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2020, 02:31 PM

45,726 posts, read 27,348,625 times

Advertisements

Need more of this. Hopefully some meaningful dialogue is occurring in the process.

Love for fellow Americans in action.

Americans Help Rebuild Black Businesses Destroyed in George Floyd Riots

Americans are rebuilding after protests over the police killing of George Floyd devolved into looting, vandalism, and arson across America that destroyed black lives, black livelihoods, and black monuments. It may not be possible to restore the damage caused by the riots, but truly inspiring generosity has made itself known in the wake of the horrific devastation.

Princess Pope spent years building her Guns and Roses Boutique shop in Dallas, but looters cleaned it out in fifteen minutes. “They had taken everything. 95% of our clothing [was] taken. Things were taken. Mannequins were down the street. The list just goes on,” the business owner told the local ABC News affiliate.

Similarly, black business owner K.B. Balla broke into tears while recounting the destruction wreaked upon his sports bar in Minneapolis. “I don’t know what I’m gonna do, I worked so hard to get here, so hard,” he said. Balla, a fireman, had invested his life savings into this Scores Sports Bar. The bar had planned its grand opening in the spring but coronavirus lockdowns put it on pause. As a GoFundMe page explains, “Scores Sports Bar was LOOTED, VANDALIZED, and DESTROYED.” Looters cleaned it out, twice, destroying his life’s work.

Thanks to the generosity of Americans, however, this is not the end of these entrepreneurs’ stories.

A GoFundMe campaign for Scores Sports Bar aimed to raise $100,000 to help rebuild the business. As of Thursday, it has raised $1,142,720, and more than 37,000 people have contributed.

Similarly, more than four thousand people have contributed to help Princess Pope, raising $120,581 of the fundraiser’s $100,000 goal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2020, 03:05 PM

6,268 posts, read 5,086,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Need more of this. Hopefully some meaningful dialogue is occurring in the process.

Love for fellow Americans in action.

Americans Help Rebuild Black Businesses Destroyed in George Floyd Riots

Americans are rebuilding after protests over the police killing of George Floyd devolved into looting, vandalism, and arson across America that destroyed black lives, black livelihoods, and black monuments. It may not be possible to restore the damage caused by the riots, but truly inspiring generosity has made itself known in the wake of the horrific devastation.

Princess Pope spent years building her Guns and Roses Boutique shop in Dallas, but looters cleaned it out in fifteen minutes. “They had taken everything. 95% of our clothing [was] taken. Things were taken. Mannequins were down the street. The list just goes on,” the business owner told the local ABC News affiliate.

Similarly, black business owner K.B. Balla broke into tears while recounting the destruction wreaked upon his sports bar in Minneapolis. “I don’t know what I’m gonna do, I worked so hard to get here, so hard,” he said. Balla, a fireman, had invested his life savings into this Scores Sports Bar. The bar had planned its grand opening in the spring but coronavirus lockdowns put it on pause. As a GoFundMe page explains, “Scores Sports Bar was LOOTED, VANDALIZED, and DESTROYED.” Looters cleaned it out, twice, destroying his life’s work.

Thanks to the generosity of Americans, however, this is not the end of these entrepreneurs’ stories.

A GoFundMe campaign for Scores Sports Bar aimed to raise $100,000 to help rebuild the business. As of Thursday, it has raised $1,142,720, and more than 37,000 people have contributed.

Similarly, more than four thousand people have contributed to help Princess Pope, raising $120,581 of the fundraiser’s $100,000 goal.
Right now I think I'm a little too cranky to appreciate "love for fellow Americans in action". Tens of thousands of POS burned, looted and destroyed their way across the country, those in charge let them do it, those in charge let them terrorize law abiding citizens and destroy livelihoods and dreams. And then law abiding citizens are supposed to pay (both in terms of money and sweat equity) to clean up the mess.

I'll give you a much smaller (but related) reason why I'm cranky. A few weeks ago I was out on BLM land with my husband and my dog. We were 30 minutes from the closest paved road when all of a sudden we came across a 30 foot length of trail filled with nails, broken bottles and an abandoned couch. I posted on a local social networking page pictures of the scene. It's a popular area for folks to hike, 4 wheel, horseback ride and walk their dogs so I wanted to give people a heads up - particularly as it related to animal injuries and tire flats. I ended up deleting the post the next day because the comments from locals transitioned from "people are scum" to "we need to organize a group cleanup" to "did YOU pick up the trash and if not, why not?"

Happens all the time. Small towns in desperate need of money bring in Section 8 housing, home burglaries go up, and home owners buy security systems. POS hack whatever important info we expose online (SSN - bank or credit account numbers etc.) and we pay to get it all cleaned up and our numbers more secured. Illegals come across the border and we give them money and services. On and on. And on.

Is being a law abiding, decent, tax paying and honorable person something only for chumps nowadays? It sure as hell feels that way.

Before some smart-a$$ asks me if I feel better after that little tirade, the answer is no. I don't.

Last edited by juneaubound; 06-12-2020 at 03:16 PM..

Old 06-12-2020, 03:12 PM

16,587 posts, read 10,708,487 times
Does the media care about white-owned businesses that were destroyed? Nope, didn't think so. Yet another crowbar of division shoved into the body politic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies