Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 09:29 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
In many states, "Life without parole" does not mean "life without parole".
That is not an answer to the question posed. It also poses a conundrum to which an immediate solution is entirely obvious.

Quote:
And, I disagree - the "bottom line" statement I made is a proper part of the equation. The scumbag will never be able to repeat his crimes on other children. Thats a fact.
It is a fact, but as Perry Mason might have opined, that fact is incompetent, irrlevant, and immaterial, as there are other means of achieving the same end. It also draws from a very ominous and entirely suspect line of reasoning that suggests a human capacity to foretell the future acts of other human beings. As a moral pillar of your community, perhaps you should read up on the morality of various acts taken in cognizance of this line of reasoning over the course of our history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 09:35 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
As a moral pillar of your community, ....
Thank you for the compliment. A majority of other "moral pillars" also agree with the imposition of the Death Penalty in my area (community). So, I am in good company

BTW: In light of the recent decision by the USSC, and the lifting of the RO on executions, those on Arizona death rows are now getting their execution dates re-instated - and unlike common misperceptions, a majority of those on death row here are whites - not african american or hispanic.

http://test.azcorrections.gov/isearc...%20Death%20Row

Old 05-10-2008, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Thank you for the compliment. A majority of other "moral pillars" also agree with the imposition of the Death Penalty in my area (community). So, I am in good company
It is good that you put "moral pillars" in quotes, then.

Old 05-10-2008, 10:06 AM

Quote:
It is good that you put "moral pillars" in quotes, then.
Oh, I was merely doing as you demanded - exact verbiage

Fact is, a majority in our State, including the Democratic Governor and Democratic Atty General are supportive of the Death Penality.

So, they would also thank you for your compliment -

Old 05-10-2008, 10:37 AM

Ah, seeking safety in numbers. The next-to-last resort of a scoundrel. I must be right because these other people agree with me, therefore I have no need for any proper defense of my position. Reticence duly noted...

Old 05-10-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Ah, seeking safety in numbers. The next-to-last resort of a scoundrel. I must be right because these other people agree with me, therefore I have no need for any proper defense of my position. Reticence duly noted...
Oh - you are trying to be funny! Keep your day job

Actually - merely pointing out that the very liberal Democrats of my state (you are a liberal democrat, are you not?) support the death penalty.

Also, support of the death penalty in my state transends all party affiliations and beliefs.

Far from seeking "safety in numbers" as you suggest, merely pointing out facts. And pointing out that support for the death penalty is pretty widespread here - and your position certainly puts you on the outside looking in

Have a greatday!

Old 05-10-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Oh - you are trying to be funny! Keep your day job.
Actually, I'm trying to get rid of the day jobs. Humor was not my intent in any case. That centered on pointing out that you have abandoned any pretense to actual debate, electing to answer questions not asked and then ducking for cover behind meaningless testamonials. Four out of five dentists surveyed blah-blah-blah. That others believe as you do means only that they are as wrong as you are if you can't establish the premises that you all are supposedly standing on.

Old 05-10-2008, 03:32 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,140,921 times
Quote:
Far from seeking "safety in numbers" as you suggest, merely pointing out facts.
What is the purpose behind pointing out the specific facts you pointed out? You could also "point out" that spiders are invertebrates...does it have relevance to the debate? If your argument is not that you have "strength in numbers" because your opinion is the popular one, what is it, then?

Quote:
And pointing out that support for the death penalty is pretty widespread here - and your position certainly puts you on the outside looking in
Does that fact make one's position wrong or simply unpopular?

Why not respond to what's brought forth here instead of bypassing it?

Old 05-10-2008, 07:49 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,416,920 times
Quote:
Nearly every statement that begins with the words "All that matters is" is false. Have you ever looked into what the effects of an execution are upon the rest of the lives of the innocent families and friends of the person put to death for instance? I hardly suspect so.

And should I take it that despite trying your very, very hardest, killing people is the only, only, only way you can think of to accomplish the end you have in mind? Should I take it as well to be assured that you yourself will not hurt anyone ever again? Again, I have my doubts. I suspect that you simply get a That'll show 'em! sense of macho enjoyment out of the act of killing people. Rather a sociopathic sort of thing, in the minds of many...
Too bad,

The fact is right & wrong in the US are decided democratically as long as the thing being decided does not effect a persons rights.
If the death penalty is in effect its because it was decided by a vote to be acceptable. You dont need to like it but lifes like that.

Rather than ponder the effects of execution on the family of some scumbag criminal I choose to ponder the effects of the scumbags actions on the victims family & those he might harm in the future. The only way to be certain is to rid us of him or her. I think alot about the reasons for our crime rate & keep coming back to the way people like yourself deal with it with kid gloves. Love & tenderness are fine for an errant child, not a convicted criminal, most of whom are repeat offenders.

What you suspect is irrelevant. I suspect you sympathise with murderers & rapists, but hey, thats your perogative, just dont expect the sane among us to follow your lead.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:45 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,140,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
I think alot about the reasons for our crime rate & keep coming back to the way people like yourself deal with it with kid gloves. Love & tenderness are fine for an errant child, not a convicted criminal, most of whom are repeat offenders.
I didn't know there were only two options: treating someone with love and tenderness and killing him or her. I thought there were at least a few things in between.

Quote:
What you suspect is irrelevant. I suspect you sympathise with murderers & rapists, but hey, thats your perogative, just dont expect the sane among us to follow your lead.
So anti-death penalty advocates are all insane?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies