Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 03:20 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Well I am glad that I was able to complete my 20+ year career and get my pension.

Military pay is kind of a two-edged thing. There are servicemembers who qualify for foodstamps. For a few years we used to qualify for foodstamps to feed our children.

At the same time, tax-free pay and re-enlistment bonuses are great.

Mid-career enlistedmen often are looking at $65k/year tax-free income, plus the bonuses.

The highest bonus that I was eligible for was only $60k. But in 2001 it was raised to $90k.

With the tax-free income, we were eventually able to buy apartment buildings. We collected them at most of our duty stations. So with the military pension and rental income.
Beekeeper, if you count in the cost of housing and utilities and sep rats, the military isn’t doing so bad. They’ve recently changed the pay data to show what housing and utilities would cost.

I will say that, from working around the military for most of my life, that families are the biggest bunch of whiners that ever existed – not the Marines, but Army and Air Force. Holy moley, they are a bunch of pampered whiners. Active duty Army complains when they can’t park 10 feet in front of their buildings, when they have to put in 40 hour weeks. Not all of them, but a good number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaShay87 View Post
Saving lives, trying to push for change, trying to stay alive, and all the while taking orders from those above them. I feel that is question is almost trying to see the negative in the war and in our soldiers. I have friends and family that have taken their tours in Iraq and agree that we should be there and that they are making a difference. If you do not support the war then fine but always support our soldiers.
As a pacifist, I have to wonder what is positive about war in any circumstance?
The best way to support our military members in Iraq is to bring them home, alive and unwounded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 03:23 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Beekeeper, if you count in the cost of housing and utilities and sep rats, the military isn’t doing so bad. They’ve recently changed the pay data to show what housing and utilities would cost.

I will say that, from working around the military for most of my life, that families are the biggest bunch of whiners that ever existed – not the Marines, but Army and Air Force. Holy moley, they are a bunch of pampered whiners. Active duty Army complains when they can’t park 10 feet in front of their buildings, when they have to put in 40 hour weeks. Not all of them, but a good number.

As a pacifist, I have to wonder what is positive about war in any circumstance?
The best way to support our military members in Iraq is to bring them home, alive and unwounded.
Awsome post

Old 05-22-2008, 03:50 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TailoredMaid View Post
They passed a new GI bill last week. It passed the Senate this week with a remarkable 75-22 vote. All we need is the President's signature to make it happen.
During my career I have seen a handfull of different versions of GI Bill.

Is this 'new' one better?

Old 05-22-2008, 03:57 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Trying to show stats for how much the housing and Utilities would effectively cost is, well, tricky.

I have never gone along with trying to give an annual 'salary' that includes those things. What ever.

The 'value' of an apartment might be $500/month, but living on a submarine and underwater 7 month each year, you are not going to convert that to any housing cost.

Quote:
... I will say that, from working around the military for most of my life, that families are the biggest bunch of whiners that ever existed – not the Marines, but Army and Air Force. Holy moley, they are a bunch of pampered whiners. Active duty Army complains when they can’t park 10 feet in front of their buildings, when they have to put in 40 hour weeks. Not all of them, but a good number.
LOL

Old 05-22-2008, 05:12 PM

27 posts, read 101,995 times
I think they are watching their backs very closely. I think they are constantly thinking of home. I think they are trying their best to make the best of their situation.
God bless them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies