Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 03:52 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,803,457 times

Advertisements

Did the Saudi Royal family support renegade son, Bin Laden, and his Al Qeida clan so their attack on 9/11 would draw us into a war knowing it would drive up the price of crude and paralyze our country?

Since entering the war with Iraq the price of crude has made a steep trajectory from $30 to now $135 per barrel. Pump prices for unleaded leaped from $1.40 to $4.20 in six years.

Now as diesel moves past $5 per gallon our country is at risk of unraveling.
Our own people are now pointing the finger at each other and the more fortunate are blaming the less fortunate and vice versa.

We're taking our eye off the ball. We need to beat them at their own game. Short-term we need to drill more wells. Oklahoma wanted to take closed down chemical plants, military bases, and abandoned manufacturing facilities and build refineries. They have the train hubs, the support of the people, but the government told them NO! We must say YES!

Europe has small turbo diesel 2-person cars. Our Department of Transportation says they don't meet their safety standards. Too bad. Let the people decide. Reclassify light vehicles as a separate class like motorcycles. I want to have the FREEDOM to decide if I want to drive a 80 mpg diesel Smart Car. I don't want the oil companies, their lobbyists, and the politicians they have in their pockets selecting what crummy options I am allowed to have for my own good.

We need to become energy independent. We could use NAFTA and forge a North American energy alliance with Mexico and Canada. It could be in all our best interests. It's

time to tell the Middle East we're in charge. Tell them if they don't deliver us Bin Laden we will immediately stop shipping them our food and other goods. Let them grow their own food in the sand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 03:56 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
In answer to your title, absolutely not. The perpetrators had no way of knowing our response.

This is in tin foil territory.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:01 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,980,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Europe has small turbo diesel 2-person cars. Our Department of Transportation says they don't meet their safety standards. Too bad. Let the people decide. Reclassify light vehicles as a separate class like motorcycles. I want to have the FREEDOM to decide if I want to drive a 80 mpg diesel Smart Car.
You can buy a Smart Car now:

Smart Car of America

I don't know if they sell the diesel models here but you can get the gassers. They get about 50-60 MPG from what I hear. I actually saw one at a convenience store a few months ago. The guy had it all optioned out and it cost about $18K. I think he said he waited about 3 months (you order them online)-they DO pass our head on crash ratings with flying colors, but side impact is probably pretty poor-especially with SUVs or trucks.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:05 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Oil prices? It's their oil, they don't need any reason to raise prices, they can just do it!

But it's KNOWN they've sponsored radical Islamic schools with state money and a West Point study found Saudi Arabia a source of both funds and men for tyhe Iraq insurgency.

I don't think their back stabbing ways have anything to do with oil prices, it's just who they are.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
You can buy a Smart Car now:

Smart Car of America

I don't know if they sell the diesel models here but you can get the gassers. They get about 50-60 MPG from what I hear. I actually saw one at a convenience store a few months ago. The guy had it all optioned out and it cost about $18K. I think he said he waited about 3 months (you order them online)-they DO pass our head on crash ratings with flying colors, but side impact is probably pretty poor-especially with SUVs or trucks.
I checked out the Smart Car at the nearby dealer. 41 mpg highway. That's it. They only offer the gas version and a Corolla gets comparable mileage at a lower cost.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:10 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,980,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
I checked out the Smart Car at the nearby dealer. 41 mpg highway. That's it. They only offer the gas version and a Corolla gets comparable mileage at a lower cost.
That blows...of course the diesel at 80 MPG might almost break even cost wise with the 41 MPG gasser simply because diesel is rising at such a rate.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
In answer to your title, absolutely not. The perpetrators had no way of knowing our response.

This is in tin foil territory.
I disagree. Our president was already in office and it was widely known that he was interested in taking care of the Iraqi situation. I'm sure the attackers knew that our country would not just sit back and let the 9/11 attackers actions slide without a response.

It was well publicized that the attackers intended to cripple our financial institutions and shake our confidence. Although our stock market bounced back it's more than a mere coincidence that our dollar started its steep decent after 9/11. Our Fed had to drop interest rates to near zero to spur business investment and attempt to create jobs which were at a stand still even before 9/11. The post 9/11 events have hit the US even harder than other prosperous nations since we have experienced the biggest shock from the rising price of oil due to the falling dollar. China and India's strength and accelerating economies have been aided by US companies moving off shore as operating costs rise here due to higher input costs paid for with weaker dollars. This has increased our people's reliance on cheap imported goods and accelerated the sale of US assets to these same foreign producers.

Meanwhile, the oil-producing nations get richer as the redistribution occurs.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:44 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times
Unhappy Same game different day

The US entered a conventional war as a knee jerk to 9/11. It’s never been a conventional war ~ it’s an economical war and a disaster for the US. Nothing will change this until be react in the proper way and without the knee jerk. As long as we continue to be dependant on their oil we will lose. It was proven back in the 70’s with the oil embargo and shortage ~ we did nothing to change anything in the 30~35 years. Go figure.

The Plan To Destroy OPEC

Alternative fuel and energy ~ some of it is free renewable energy. Maybe we need to put the solar panels back on the roof of the White House first.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
The US entered a conventional war as a knee jerk to 9/11. It’s never been a conventional war ~ it’s an economical war and a disaster for the US. Nothing will change this until be react in the proper way and without the knee jerk. As long as we continue to be dependant on their oil we will lose. It was proven back in the 70’s with the oil embargo and shortage ~ we did nothing to change anything in the 30~35 years. Go figure.

The Plan To Destroy OPEC

Alternative fuel and energy ~ some of it is free renewable energy. Maybe we need to put the solar panels back on the roof of the White House first.
I agree with you that we need to become energy independent and not dependent on their oil. Our country is rich in resources, capital, and productivity. We need to focus our war on terror as freeing ourselves from relying on closed foreign governments that are used to exerting control over their own people and have little tolerance for western views.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:28 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Lincoln, BINGO!
NY'rs said it until they were blue in the face and nobody listened. The whole thing was a sucker punch, to bait, and yes, you finally see what NY saw all those years ago when they were protesting the war that was about to start "in their name". Peaceful protesters were arrested.

We already had a solution- electric cars. The grid could have been expanded upon with renewables, but big oil doesn't want to go that way, and dems/reps are beholden to them while they collectively add to hemmorage.
We need off oil to as much as we can generate in our own borders, no imports unless its economical.
We need renewables to achieve this independence.
We need big business lobbyist out of our govt pocket once and for all.

And we need people to recognize we're all americans, we all have a stake in keeping this nation healthy. All of us. This back biting has got to stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies