Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2022, 07:50 PM

29,824 posts, read 24,913,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I agree. I don't wanna see a down syndrome woman getting harassed.

Treat people with basic respoect.

There's always people who are going to laugh and mock folks with DS though. In a perfect world, that wouldn't happen, but it's far from perfect. She needs to have thick skin and so too does her family. If this is her dream, it will be worth it. If not and she is just being pressured or even used for money, than this could be a form of cruelty.

Hopefully she is surrounded by people who genuinely care for her and want what is truly best for her.

Old 08-13-2022, 07:54 PM

4,512 posts, read 1,864,826 times
Good for her!!!

Big, big, difference between someone with a disability and some lunatic biden voter with mental illness.

This is not “woke”. They aren’t trying to groom people with this.

Old 08-13-2022, 08:01 PM

35,704 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Well, isn’t that special? The ride on the Woke Bus continues. To be expected I guess since they have mentally ill cross dresser models and fat chicks on parade now. What’s next, fashion for criminal border trespassers? Or maybe a pedo or two?

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...-down-syndrome
There’s some real nasty folks in this world.

Old 08-13-2022, 08:55 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Well, isn’t that special? The ride on the Woke Bus continues. To be expected I guess since they have mentally ill cross dresser models and fat chicks on parade now. What’s next, fashion for criminal border trespassers? Or maybe a pedo or two?

Why is it woke when those with special needs are treated as equals. Do you think they are inferior somehow? Please explain how this is woke because I really don't understand.

Old 08-13-2022, 09:04 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,248,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
My buddy works with special needs. THere is a huge consent issue there (think 12 year old girls) and they are frequently targeted by perverts on-line. (I cannot stress this enough. Also, the special needs guys are targeted on Facebook by "girlfriends" trying to get them to send money.

As such, without knowing her specific capability level, I find it *potentially* REALLY cringe.

Just remember, a lot of the exploitation in the 70's and 80's of women was passed off as "liberating".

Now don't get me wrong, if a woman (or man) wants to do anything at all consensually it's none of my business. I just am very leery of coercion and encouraging consent with themes of *empowerment*.
This was my first thought, too. More than anything, I feel concerned for her and wonder how much she understands what the implications might be. Not sure how else to word it.

Old 08-13-2022, 10:57 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Some people with this disability function at a higher level than others. I am really happy for her. I don’t know why anyone would be upset by this. There was a young man with DS on a tv show for awhile.
Some people love to look for problems where there are none. I wouldn't look to them for help in solving real problems.

Old 08-13-2022, 11:15 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,864,317 times
Almost all people with Down Syndrome have some degree of intellectual impairment, but not everyone who is impaired is impaired enough to rise to the level of it being an intellectual disability - there are plenty of people with IQs in the low average range and good overall functioning. Of those who are intellectually disabled, it's usually mild to moderate, so they can also be quite high functioning with some assistance. Down Syndrome is also common enough that although only a tiny percentage don't have any noticeable intellectual impairment, that tiny percentage adds up to quite a few people when you look at it from a national or global scale.

People often underestimate the intelligence of people with DS because of the speech impediments caused by DS physiognomy.

Poor muscle tone is a feature of DS, so my hat is off to this lady for maintaining that level of physical fitness despite the extra obstacle.

Old 08-13-2022, 11:34 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,563,075 times
Quote:

A.) This is old news. B.) Comparing a beautiful young woman who happens to have been born with Down Syndrome to criminals and pedophiles is both nasty and uncalled for.

I'm happy that this young woman has both worked hard and been able to take advantage of an opportunity that has been made available to her in order to achieve her dream.

Old 08-14-2022, 12:49 AM

19,779 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Quote:

How in the hell is this 'woke'? You don't like seeing human beings in all their forms and conditions? That upsets you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies