Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2023, 10:57 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,815,046 times

Advertisements

Socially Conservative and Fiscally Liberal = Statist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2023, 11:18 PM

9,838 posts, read 7,304,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
So the most racially and ethnically diverse quadrant is the Nazi quadrant? Ok.

You also realize this is the New Deal coalition, who fought the Nazis?
So you're talking about Dixiecrats? Pro-government programs, but pro-segregation?

You said you're talking about the quadrant that's the polar opposite of libertarian, essentially. The authoritarian/dictatorial/totalitarian, anti-capitalist (and anti-communist), nationalist (to the extreme)... and the state's place is as moral arbiter. Nazism immediately came to mind.

Old 06-05-2023, 11:28 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,280,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
So you're talking about Dixiecrats? Pro-government programs, but pro-segregation?

You said you're talking about the quadrant that's the polar opposite of libertarian, essentially. The authoritarian/dictatorial/totalitarian, anti-capitalist (and anti-communist), nationalist (to the extreme)... and the state's place is as moral arbiter. Nazism immediately came to mind.
I think you're getting too wrapped up in your own mental models.

Did you read the article? Or for that matter, have you recently spoken with a working class person?

Old 06-05-2023, 11:33 PM

33,340 posts, read 12,657,900 times
Quote:
A common way to divide up the American political battlefield is into quadrants with social and fiscal issues being the two axes.

Socially liberal and fiscally liberal: Democrat base
Socially liberal and fiscally conservative: libertarians
Socially conservative and fiscally conservative: Republican base
Socially conservative and fiscally liberal: ?

The Democrat and Republican bases are roughly offsetting, with the Democrats usually slightly more numerous. Libertarians, despite an outsized online presence and a voice in media through various publications, are numerically few.

Why is the fourth quadrant above so quiet?

Because they are working class. Working class people do not generally have their own publications nor do they contribute a lot of money to either political party. So despite being much more numerous than libertarians and maybe comparable in size to the two party bases, especially if counting those.who do not vote, they have little voice.

This is a good piece touching on some of these themes, from the perspective of a Democrat who laments his party's abandonment of the working class.

https://www.liberalpatriot.com/p/why...-more-moderate

This is a huge trove of voters, but to reach them the Democrat base will need to moderate socially, and the Republican base will need to moderate economically.
Depends on how the base is defined.

If you include Trump supporters, then no....that is incorrect. Trump isn't conservative.

Old 06-06-2023, 12:09 AM

9,838 posts, read 7,304,923 times
Quote:
I think you're getting too wrapped up in your own mental models.

Did you read the article? Or for that matter, have you recently spoken with a working class person?
I mostly try to not read articles from sites with the word "patriot" anywhere in their name, but, yes, I did.

I am a liberal myself, and far from a rich one. I don't identify with the word "progressive". I know I'm more 'moderate' than the woke, hyper-progressive, identity politics crazies of the left. But, I don't think that's moderate, I think I'm just a regular liberal, or a moderate libertarian. Whatever you want to call it. And most of the people called those things are not either of them.

Liberal and libertarian come from the same root word. We're on the upper left quadrant. The opposite quadrant would be all the things I hate about both the left and the right. It would be like... anti-choice, anti- personal freedoms, but also anti- markets. The quadrant you're talking about is anti- market economy, AKA, "fiscal conservatism".

Old 06-06-2023, 04:53 AM

26,056 posts, read 13,059,419 times
Quote:
So the most racially and ethnically diverse quadrant is the Nazi quadrant? Ok.

You also realize this is the New Deal coalition, who fought the Nazis?
Turns out that the quiet quadrant has done massive damage to America's financial wellbeing, since The New Deal was perpetrated in 1932:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Govern...ending_GDP.png

This quadrant opened up gov't to perpetual overspending, that will eventually take down our society.

Old 06-06-2023, 04:56 AM

18,474 posts, read 7,130,693 times
Quote:
A common way to divide up the American political battlefield is into quadrants with social and fiscal issues being the two axes.

The Democrat and Republican bases are roughly offsetting, with the Democrats usually slightly more numerous. Libertarians, despite an outsized online presence and a voice in media through various publications, are numerically few.

Because they are working class. Working class people do not generally have their own publications nor do they contribute a lot of money to either political party. So despite being much more numerous than libertarians and maybe comparable in size to the two party bases, especially if counting those.who do not vote, they have little voice.

This is a good piece touching on some of these themes, from the perspective of a Democrat who laments his party's abandonment of the working class.

This is a huge trove of voters, but to reach them the Democrat base will need to moderate socially, and the Republican base will need to moderate economically.

What's the point behind being socially Conservative and fiscally liberal?.

What positions does it support?

Old 06-06-2023, 09:57 AM

14,074 posts, read 5,690,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Socially Conservative and Fiscally Liberal = Statist.
Yep.

Pretty garden variety Big Government Statist. Social conservatism = have government enforce morality. Fiscal liberalism = have government enforce welfare state wealth redistribution.

Add them together = have a bigger government intruding into literally every area of life.

That's the underlying distilled nature. Now you have to wrap that in "caring, noble folk who want better wages and healthcare for their neighbors, guided only by pure altruism and loving wishes." Marketing matters, particularly when the product being sold is abject tyranny.

Old 06-06-2023, 01:19 PM

4,915 posts, read 3,378,332 times
I'd say that both libertarians (socially liberal/fiscally conservative) and national populists (socially conservative/fiscally liberal) groups are likely far more numerous than the all liberal/all conservative DEM/REPUB bases.

Libertarians are basically upper-middle class white collar workers.

Old 06-06-2023, 01:29 PM

18,503 posts, read 15,324,331 times
Quote:

Geez. The worst of both worlds. People who want to control every single part of your life.

They sound like horrible human beings to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies