Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2023, 10:55 AM

17,721 posts, read 6,972,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Believe it or not, former residents of just five states make up more than half of the income that’s headed south — not for the winter, but practically forever.

They are:

New York with $9.8 billion in lost income
Illinois worth $3.9 billion
New Jersey, $3.8 billion
California, $3.5 billion
Pennsylvania, $1.9 billion

Here’s the shocker: Each one of those states is ruled completely by Democrats. The governor’s office and both sides of each state assembly are dominated by Dems. There are barely any statewide GOP elected officials in any of those states. Five total, with none at all in New York or New Jersey. Democrats are free to impose their policies almost without opposition and the results are…

…well, they’re short nearly $23 billion in earning power that Democrats no longer control. In this case, the money involved is one of those zero-sum games in which Florida’s gain is their loss.
Link: https://pjmedia.com/vodkapundit/2023...ommon-n1713335

Thanks, Democrats! We appreciate you sending all your money and high earners to Florida! Keep electing those libs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2023, 10:58 AM

50,961 posts, read 36,657,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post

Thanks, Democrats! We appreciate you sending all your money and high earners to Florida! Keep electing those libs!

I don't think all Floridians share your glee, because high earners increase the price of homes and rentals. If you have your house already you're golden, but there are many in Florida who can no longer afford to live there.

I don't think politics has as much to do with it as work from home and desire for warmer weather. You should realize though many of those people WILL BE libs, maybe make Florida purple again.

Old 07-25-2023, 11:04 AM

78,576 posts, read 60,772,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't think politics has as much to do with it as work from home and desire for warmer weather.
Excellent point. I thought about doing that.

Old 07-25-2023, 11:07 AM

35,755 posts, read 21,122,405 times
Quote:

The other side of the coin, is many high earners killing Fl. I’m looking at houses, and what used to be $350k now running $800k+ even with new build. It’s not helping the natives.
There’s going to be a lot of wealth concentrated in one area and nobody is going to be around to service them. I’m blessed my land lady told me not increasing my rent of $1500, Zillow is showing rental value at $1800. I’m not staying after the next year. Between housing and car,,, not affordable.
The experts say we have 100% employment levels by 2024. I read many 75 yr olds still working. It’s all messed up.
It’s not all about politics, it’s about money.

Old 07-25-2023, 11:14 AM

19,886 posts, read 18,170,665 times
Quote:
I don't think all Floridians share your glee, because high earners increase the price of homes and rentals. If you have your house already you're golden, but there are many in Florida who can no longer afford to live there.

I don't think politics has as much to do with it as work from home and desire for warmer weather. You should realize though many of those people WILL BE libs, maybe make Florida purple again.
Although in part indirectly politics has whole lot to do with it. I find it simply hysterical that so many people who lean left refuse to see things how they are.

Old 07-25-2023, 11:17 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,716,928 times
Quote:
Nearly half a million left the State

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
The other side of the coin, is many high earners killing Fl. I’m looking at houses, and what used to be $350k now running $800k+ even with new build. It’s not helping the natives.
There’s going to be a lot of wealth concentrated in one area and nobody is going to be around to service them. I’m blessed my land lady told me not increasing my rent of $1500, Zillow is showing rental value at $1800. I’m not staying after the next year. Between housing and car,,, not affordable.
The experts say we have 100% employment levels by 2024. I read many 75 yr olds still working. It’s all messed up.
It’s not all about politics, it’s about money.
Rents are steep, because rental property is considered investment property, and are assessed annually, so when the value doubles, so does the property tax, and they have to pass that onto the renter and we're talking about huge increases. In South Florida people spend 79% of their income on shelter, and that's the most in the nation.

It will be interesting to see what happens now that employers are mandating people return to the office. Will they vacate their apartments and move back North, or will they take a new job with half the salary down here.

Why do people move out of places like NYC? No doubt the cost of living it top reason, but now Florida is losing their #1 selling point, which has been the same in reverse: affordability.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 07-25-2023 at 11:30 AM..

Old 07-25-2023, 11:20 AM

19,886 posts, read 18,170,665 times
For those of you who think this longstanding migration isn't substantially about politics............use this as a primer.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/13/o...migration.html

Old 07-25-2023, 11:20 AM

4,431 posts, read 1,719,565 times
Quote:

I’m more than happy to share my high cost of living with Florida. If I’m lucky, they’ll stay in FL.

Old 07-25-2023, 11:26 AM

50,961 posts, read 36,657,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
I’m more than happy to share my high cost of living with Florida. If I’m lucky, they’ll stay in FL.

Paywall.

https://theweek.com/travel/1020498/w...s-moving-south

Interestingly, while Florida is getting redder, migration of black people from north back to the south (the population of Atlanta more than doubled over the last 30 years) is credited here with swinging the state blue in 2020 and 2022 midterms.

Old 07-25-2023, 03:27 PM

853 posts, read 338,483 times
Rich old people have always moved to Florida when they retired. Now with remote work they are moving a little earlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies