Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2023, 02:26 PM

17,582 posts, read 13,362,412 times

Advertisements

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics...l-health-study
Quote:
Paper straws, which are being pushed across the U.S. as an eco-friendly alternative to plastic versions, may contain "forever chemicals" that are harmful to both humans and the environment and were observed more often than in a sample of plastic straws, a new European study has found.
Beware of unintended consequences, they always come back to bite you in the ass!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2023, 02:33 PM

14,488 posts, read 12,121,454 times
Why, of all the plastic we come home with from the grocery store, did STRAWS become the thing we wanted to do away with? There's so many bigger fish to fry.

Old 08-26-2023, 02:45 PM

24,500 posts, read 17,239,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Why, of all the plastic we come home with from the grocery store, did STRAWS become the thing we wanted to do away with? There's so many bigger fish to fry.

It is silly but there was once a video of a sea turtle that got a plastic straw stuck up its nose and that image has really stuck with people.

What really is ironic is that the paper straws come in a little plastic bag. There are some toothpicks that are the same. It has to be the ultimate in stupidity to take something natural like paper and wood and wrap it in plastic and call it better for the environment.

The problem with the paper straws is that they break down too fast so they put a chemical inside to make it last longer and the chemical breaks down and we swallow it.

This is so typical of Big Government. They create a problem and then "fix it" which leads to even bigger problems.

Do you remember at the grocery store when the bagger would ask paper or plastic THEN the Save the Planet sorts got angry that trees were being cut down to make the paper bags so we went to all plastic? Now they are banning plastic bags and going back to paper. I guess they don't care about the trees anymore even though trees and forests are natures machines designed to remove CO2 from the air and hold carbon in the ground.... Oh well.

Old 08-26-2023, 02:51 PM

2,070 posts, read 1,013,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
How many plastic straws are people even using, and why? I can't believe this is a thing. I might go through half a dozen in a year, if I order a drink at a restaurant or bar and it comes with a straw. At home or in daily life, my straw usage is zero. I've never seen a paper straw, maybe it's regional.

I avoid bleached white coffee filters for the same reason. Running hot liquid through that might leach out toxins in the paper, and then drinking it? There are unbleached paper filters available, seems like a safer choice.

Old 08-26-2023, 02:57 PM

14,488 posts, read 12,121,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
How many plastic straws are people even using, and why? I can't believe this is a thing. I might go through half a dozen in a year, if I order a drink at a restaurant or bar and it comes with a straw. At home or in daily life, my straw usage is zero. I've never seen a paper straw, maybe it's regional.
We do buy plastic straws to use at home, but we re-use them many times, compared to milk or other product packaging that uses a lot more plastic by weight or volume, and gets used once. Particularly packaging that isn't even for food and shouldn't need to be wrapped.

We do silly little things to signal virtue, instead of the virtuous thing of trying to improve our actual habits.

Old 08-26-2023, 04:39 PM

1,698 posts, read 613,123 times
Don’t ask questions. Follow the science. The experts said. You will be cancelled if you do not follow the environmental agenda and anything they say. Ooooops! Guess they were all wrong yet again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies