Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2023, 01:38 PM

8,943 posts, read 2,979,155 times

Advertisements

In the past 15 or so years, there has been a massive push for mandatory body cams on all police officers in the country. I suppose the logic was that we'll finally catch the racist police and the idea that they are unscrupulous killers hunting down black people will finally be proven on film for all to see.

George Floyd expedited that process, so now body cams are used in the vast majority of precincts in the USA.

But instead of vindicating the BLM / Defund the Police hypotheses, they have shown how terribly wrong they are.

99.9% of encounters on film show that cops are simply arresting people who actually are breaking the law. If those people give the cops problems, they generally break down into a degenerative, victimhood-addled rant about how the cops are wasting their time and are out to get them, when they are in fact simply being reasonable...the problem isn't the cops. It's the LIFESTYLE CHOICES OF THE PERPS. The cops are just the contact point.

This body cam push has actually spawed many YouTube channels with countless tens of thousands of hours of footage for all the world to see. They exist to show that it is in fact the criminals, not the cops, who are at fault the vast majority of times.

The following two videos are case-in-point of what I've just said. These people are the product of modern, turbo charged hatred for the police, beaucoup racism, and a massive dose of democrat-style victimhood being shoveled into their communities daily.

I defy anyone to watch these videos and not think the police are 100% reasonable and the perps are 100% in the wrong. These women have massive aggression issues, huge hatred of the police, and a gargantuan victimhood complex that has been developed in the modern media, largely pushed by the Democrat party.

Even in these utltra-obvious situations, the law-breaking perps still think the COPS are wasting their time...they even tell them to "hurry up," and they simply aren't going to participate in a civilized society with laws and people who enforce them. They actually think THEY are justified in these scenarios and resort to racist name calling, threats, etc. etc. They truly believe this is harrassment and police brutality! They break down into "I hate white people" because they actually think civilized laws are created by white people I guess? It's very strange. Most of them live in democrat-controlled areas and I'd bet the majority of lawmakers, or a least a fair share, are black, as well as many police officers.

The most worrysome thing is that these are young women. In the second video the mother talks to the cops and she's obviously older and wiser, and hasn't been subjected to the modern narrative of her daughter's generation. The victimhood / police are evil narrative FOR SURE gets young people killed in the streets because they have never been taught respect for laws or law enforcement.

Sadly, the masses will never see these (and countless other videos like these on this YouTube channel). But at least nowadays we can watch if we choose to. The race-baiting media waits for the 1 in 1000 or 10,000 case and the pounces, and says "see, the police are racist and they are just hassling good citizens...they need to be defunded!"

Yes, I believe that ironically, body cams are going to be the death of "Defund the Police," "Police are racists," etc. etc. etc. What say you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c4EeHRlWlE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoI-HChmtnU

Last edited by paracord; 09-26-2023 at 01:49 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2023, 01:44 PM

3,189 posts, read 2,079,368 times
This was what I was always trying to tell people about the BLM movement - they were misguided in why they wanted body cameras, but they have done everyone a service by pushing for this except the criminals- the cops who do their jobs competently (the vast majority), prosecutors and the public. Everyone benefits, not just black people.

One can agree or disagree with their tactics, but no doubt BLM very effectively advocated for this.

Old 09-26-2023, 01:50 PM

52,793 posts, read 34,700,369 times
yeah, mandatory cop cams pretty well crushed the bee ell em narrative.

Old 09-26-2023, 01:51 PM

13,929 posts, read 8,110,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Yes, I believe that ironically, body cams are going to be the death of "Defund the Police," "Police are racists," etc. etc. etc. What say you?
Body cam footage worn by police and the endless video clips uploaded on twitter over the past few years provide a different picture than what the media often suggests. I good example are hate crimes committed against Asians. You're far more likely to see a video clip of a person breaking the law or hurting someone than being victimized by the police.

Old 09-26-2023, 01:55 PM

6,005 posts, read 2,258,466 times
Likely works both ways. Less police abuse and fewer complaints of police abuse due to the cameras capturing what happened. Cameras are the only shot you have at determining what happens in a high-stress situation, even on the police side. People do not remember things clearly, skip over moments, and have every incentive to bend the story in their favor regardless of which party the story comes from.

All the extra cameras help the police and public sort out cases like the Ahmaud Arbery case where the people that shot the guy lied and the local police were going to go along with the lie because they knew the suspects until the camera footage came out.

Old 09-26-2023, 01:57 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,539,254 times
No, because plenty of videos continue to come out showing police brutality. We're just seeing it more because there are more cameras out in the world now. Policing in the US is by and large a disgrace and needs SEVERE reform.

Old 09-26-2023, 02:14 PM

78,648 posts, read 60,852,359 times
I've been complaining about requiring mandatory cameras for 10 years or so around here noting that they were being kept out of some of the worst offending police departments with strong unions (Chicago in particular).

We've had threads on this and the cameras cause a large drop in claims of police abuses and lawsuits.

Chicago had them but you could turn them off or take the batteries out etc. etc.

This protects everybody and is one of the good results from BLM....not if we can just roll back some of the bad changes made due to BLM we'll be doing even better.

Old 09-26-2023, 02:23 PM

870 posts, read 1,573,235 times
Some of family members are police officers and I am pro police. But just to keep it short and simple, let's say it's good that are more body cams now. There was A LOT of bad stuff that went on before body cams. And there's bad being captured today and shown on You Tube channels such as Lackluster and Audit the Audit.

Old 09-26-2023, 02:30 PM

6,413 posts, read 2,739,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMann2 View Post
No, because plenty of videos continue to come out showing police brutality. We're just seeing it more because there are more cameras out in the world now. Policing in the US is by and large a disgrace and needs SEVERE reform.
How many Interactions with the Public do cops have each and EVERY DAY?

Now, show me your idea of "plenty" of videos showing police brutality that has happened in the last 12 months.

You may be able to come up with a few, but your narrative is busted. The only thing that needs severe reform is getting rid of the DAs who refuse to prosecute crimes.

Old 09-26-2023, 02:43 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,539,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
How many Interactions with the Public do cops have each and EVERY DAY?

Now, show me your idea of "plenty" of videos showing police brutality that has happened in the last 12 months.

You may be able to come up with a few, but your narrative is busted. The only thing that needs severe reform is getting rid of the DAs who refuse to prosecute crimes.
1. A lot, though it depends on jurisdiction
2. I don't have lists of videos just sitting around to share but they aren't hard to find. Just yesterday I saw a video of a dude walking getting stopped by some cop who then proceeds to escalate the situation exponentially and then suddenly body slams the dude breaking his clavicle and causing a TBI. Dude was completely innocent.
3. No. Standards for "beat cops" are way, WAY too low. It only takes 664 hours to be a cop in California which is ridiculous. It should require at least a 2 year degree, preferably 4. Thankfully beginning in 2025 prospective cops in CA will be required to graduate from a modern policing program (source: https://palamerican.com/careers-in-l...er-california/). These people have the power of the state behind them and are way too poorly regulated. Cops are asked to be too many things and not given enough/the correct tools to deal with the complexities of modern society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies