Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2023, 04:59 PM

19 posts, read 11,752 times

Advertisements

One of the things that really irked me in the last few days was Egypt's response to this whole conflict between Israel and Gaza.

As we all know, Israel has been bombing Gaza from the air and is about to launch a ground invasion of Gaza at some point in time this week. After what happened in Israel last week, I don't believe Israel has any choice in the matter... Hamas must be completely wiped out and obliterated.

Israel has warned Palestinian civilians to leave North Gaza and head south for their own safety ahead of that ground invasion. However, according to an article I read, many Palestinians were complaining recently that Egypt closed the border between the Gaza Strip and Egypt and refuses to let albeit a very limited number of Palestinian refugees in, essentially trapping them in the Gaza Strip during this crisis.

The irony of all this is you always hear Arabs, even the Arabic network Al Jazeera, always complain about the number of Palestinian civilians that are killed every time a conflict breaks out between Israel and the Palestinians, and yet, when it comes to actually doing something which would help save a lot of Palestinian lives, like temporarily offering the Palestinian civilians a safe place to be until this ground invasion is over...... they won't even consider it.

And here is the part that really irks me.... here is the reason Egypt is giving for not granting Palestinians refuge (as stated in the Arabic news media in Arabic)..... it feels that by granting Palestinians refuge, it would betraying "the Palestinian cause." In other words, Egypt thinks it is better for the Palestinians to remain in place and martyr themselves, then leave their homes and be displaced, like they were in 1948.

The only problem is I don't think most of the Palestinian civilians in Gaza are interested in staying in place and possibly dying. You see on the news media crowds of people desperately trying to escape Gaza City and find anywhere.. anywhere safe to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2023, 05:15 PM

3,303 posts, read 3,962,439 times
There are 22 or so Arab countries, none of them want the Palestinians. I wonder why?

Old 10-15-2023, 05:16 PM

4,593 posts, read 3,794,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat363 View Post
One of the things that really irked me in the last few days was Egypt's response to this whole conflict between Israel and Gaza.

As we all know, Israel has been bombing Gaza from the air and is about to launch a ground invasion of Gaza at some point in time this week. After what happened in Israel last week, I don't believe Israel has any choice in the matter... Hamas must be completely wiped out and obliterated.

Israel has warned Palestinian civilians to leave North Gaza and head south for their own safety ahead of that ground invasion. However, according to an article I read, many Palestinians were complaining recently that Egypt closed the border between the Gaza Strip and Egypt and refuses to let albeit a very limited number of Palestinian refugees in, essentially trapping them in the Gaza Strip during this crisis.

The irony of all this is you always hear Arabs, even the Arabic network Al Jazeera, always complain about the number of Palestinian civilians that are killed every time a conflict breaks out between Israel and the Palestinians, and yet, when it comes to actually doing something which would help save a lot of Palestinian lives, like temporarily offering the Palestinian civilians a safe place to be until this ground invasion is over...... they won't even consider it.

And here is the part that really irks me.... here is the reason Egypt is giving for not granting Palestinians refuge (as stated in the Arabic news media in Arabic)..... it feels that by granting Palestinians refuge, it would betraying "the Palestinian cause." In other words, Egypt thinks it is better for the Palestinians to remain in place and martyr themselves, then leave their homes and be displaced, like they were in 1948.

The only problem is I don't think most of the Palestinian civilians in Gaza are interested in staying in place and possibly dying. You see on the news media crowds of people desperately trying to escape Gaza City and find anywhere.. anywhere safe to go.

Yep, that's what I see also - people packing bags or whatever they can and actually walking south or where ever. Recent polls indicate Gazans are tired of conflict - unlike what people say here, the majority WOULD NOT vote for Hamas again.

I bet most Gazans would finally want to live in a place that has peace, no bombs, planes flying with missiles and just make a life for themselves.

Old 10-15-2023, 05:22 PM

3,096 posts, read 1,563,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat363 View Post

News this am said the US told american citizens in Gaza to go to the egyptian border. So they arent being allowed thru either. They are trapped too.

Old 10-15-2023, 05:26 PM

13,937 posts, read 8,117,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post
Yep, that's what I see also - people packing bags or whatever they can and actually walking south or where ever. Recent polls indicate Gazans are tired of conflict - unlike what people say here, the majority WOULD NOT vote for Hamas again.

I bet most Gazans would finally want to live in a place that has peace, no bombs, planes flying with missiles and just make a life for themselves.
And the Israeli concert-goers wanted to listen to music, get high and have a fun time.

Old 10-15-2023, 06:07 PM

Maybe I wasn't as clear as I could have been in the original post .... my point was one of the reasons the Egyptian government doesn't want to let the Palestinians in (according to Al Jazeera) is that they are more concerned about losing the land (aka. Gaza) to the Israelis than the actual lives of the Palestinians themselves. (Yes, I am aware that Gaza is no longer specifically Egyptian land but in the eyes of all the Arabs, it is Arab/Muslim land).
Hence, the Egyptian government is encouraging them to "remain steadfast in place" rather than try and flee.

In general, I think it is sad that the Palestinian civilians are being used as pawns in this way, not just by Hamas, but now by Egypt.

Old 10-15-2023, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
News this am said the US told american citizens in Gaza to go to the egyptian border. So they arent being allowed thru either. They are trapped too.
That's horrible. I thought at the very least the Egyptian government and the US government were working together to get the US citizens out of Gaza.

Old 10-15-2023, 06:21 PM

5,778 posts, read 4,741,693 times
Well, we don't want them coming here either.

Old 10-15-2023, 06:22 PM

13,684 posts, read 4,979,034 times
Israel intends to sweep through the Gaza Strip, find and kill or arrest all Hamas members. So I don’t think the Israelis want Palestinians to cross into Egypt. In fact, Israel bombed the only border crossing into Egypt in order to block it. Point being, Egypt is cooperating with Israel.

Old 10-15-2023, 06:22 PM

13,937 posts, read 8,117,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Well, we don't want them coming here either.
Good point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies