Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2023, 09:04 AM

13,905 posts, read 8,092,523 times

Advertisements

The word needs to go out to people from California or wherever else they may hail from, if you come here to commit crimes like these, plan to stay,” Mitchell said.

Quote:
Californians stealing merchandise from Arizona shops to resell, according to county attorney
https://www.12news.com/article/news/...b-4fe06bfdf98c
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2023, 09:20 AM

31,124 posts, read 22,161,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
The word needs to go out to people from California or wherever else they may hail from, if you come here to commit crimes like these, plan to stay,” Mitchell said.
Thank goodness. You Prosecute them hard the 1st time, and they will go back to steal where they encourage it, California

Old 12-16-2023, 10:34 AM

6,858 posts, read 9,400,207 times
Wow, I’m surprised she was even elected in Maricopa County, as she’s a Republican.

I’m sure if they had a Democrat in this role, these crimes would not be prosecuted. Instead, we would be told about how greedy businesses have insurance to cover incidents like theft, and how theft is just part of living in a city.

Old 12-16-2023, 11:05 AM

I've only been in Mesa since 2019 and while Az is now a Dem state. It's not "Cal. blue."

Old 12-16-2023, 11:19 AM

42,869 posts, read 26,387,383 times
Quote:
It seems that the word did get out....that stealing in AZ has become easier than stealing in California, why else do you think they would go there?

Old 12-16-2023, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It seems that the word did get out....that stealing in AZ has become easier than stealing in California, why else do you think they would go there?
Because items which can easily be fenced aren't locked away like they are in many Cal. stores.

Old 12-16-2023, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
Wow, I’m surprised she was even elected in Maricopa County, as she’s a Republican.

I’m sure if they had a Democrat in this role, these crimes would not be prosecuted. Instead, we would be told about how greedy businesses have insurance to cover incidents like theft, and how theft is just part of living in a city.
Sacramento has a Republican District attorney and he hasn't done a thing to crack down on shoplifting, and when the Sac Sheriff tried to help several stores with shoplifting problems Target and Walgreens turned him down. Which kind of makes you wonder if maybe these stores have losses other than from shoplifting and are trying to make it appear otherwise, just like Walgreen's had to retract their claim that they closed three San Francisco stores due to shoplifting when it wasn't shoplifting that made them close those stores.

It's a complex problem but what a lot of people don't know is that employees steal more money and merchandise from stores than shoplifters but stores don't want to talk about that!

Retailers say organized theft is biting into profits, but internal issues may really be to blame. Here's an excellent article that explains it better than I can https://www.cnbc.com/2023/08/10/reta...nal-flaws.html

Old 12-16-2023, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Because items which can easily be fenced aren't locked away like they are in many Cal. stores.
They aren't locked away in most stores that I go to, so I don't think that explains it.

Old 12-16-2023, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
They aren't locked away in most stores that I go to, so I don't think that explains it.
I can only speak to what I saw this year in SF and items which can be easily fences were locked away. I suspect the same is true in other major Cal. cities.

Also, thieves coming from Cal. probably aren't aware if caught Az will prosecute.

Quote:
I'm sure Ms. Dinu thought she was returning to California after her 48 hours but as I said, she's in on a $45,000 bond," Mitchell said.

Old 12-16-2023, 12:48 PM

Quote:
I can only speak to what I saw this year in SF and items which can be easily fences were locked away. I suspect the same is true in other major Cal. cities.

Also, thieves coming from Cal. probably aren't aware if caught Az will prosecute.
I have no idea why these people went to Az to shoplift, but claiming that they won't prosecute in California so they went to Arizona makes absolutely no sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies