Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2024, 05:14 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,350,601 times

Advertisements

https://ohiocapitaljournal.com/2024/...understaffing/
Quote:
The Ohio Board of Pharmacy and CVS announced Thursday that they had settled claims of critical understaffing at 22 Ohio stores owned by CVS, the nation’s largest pharmacy retailer.

The settlement totaled $1.5 million in fines and fees and imposed other sanctions on the corporate giant. A spokesman for the pharmacy board said it was the largest penalty ever imposed by the regulatory agency.

Current and former CVS pharmacists and technicians told the Capital Journal that as they were run ragged, CVS district and regional management sometimes ignored their pleas for help even when it was available. They added that management was quick to impose ancillary, money-making duties even as pharmacy staff fell behind on their core responsibility — filling prescriptions.
As a retired pharmacist, this is the best news that I've heard in years.

A CVS pharmacist, mother of several children, was having chest pains. Her supervisor said she'd have to wait until relief arrived instead of calling 911 immediately. She died of a heart attack https://www.businessinsider.com/cvs-...na-2024-2?op=1

https://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...breaks.894982/

Conditions have become deplorable

I'm so glad that the Ohio State Board of Pharmacy took this action

I went into the OSBoP's website and found the new regulations implemented along with the penalties

No company can retaliate against an employee for reporting to the Board

I hope all states follow Ohio and start pounding the chains for overworking staff. This is a global issue, even spreading into Canada https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7265587/

Thank God I'm retired
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2024, 05:22 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,245,675 times
Yeah, my employer’s insurance requires using CVS for maintenance prescriptions. Every time I go in there it looks like hell on earth for the pharmacist and assistants. Line of frustrated people, particularly frustrated ones yelling at them, the phone system announcing “there a 9 people on hold, there are 13 people on hold, etc”, line wrapping around the drive thru. Feel sorry for them.

Old 03-02-2024, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Yeah, my employer’s insurance requires using CVS for maintenance prescriptions. Every time I go in there it looks like hell on earth for the pharmacist and assistants. Line of frustrated people, particularly frustrated ones yelling at them, the phone system announcing “there a 9 people on hold, there are 13 people on hold, etc”, line wrapping around the drive thru. Feel sorry for them.
That's why, when I returned to pharmacy after a 30 year carrier in management and sales, I worked in a clinical phone setting. Just answering questions from patients, doctors and other pharmacists

Old 03-03-2024, 08:46 AM

6,980 posts, read 2,703,533 times
Something tells me Amazon will soon take over CVS's prescription business for people needing refills of already prescribed medications.

Old 03-03-2024, 08:54 AM

11,251 posts, read 11,022,956 times
This is the company's method of operation. Rite-Aid and Walgreens are very similar. It's also why these types of stores are easy targets for flash mob thefts in urban and ghetto locations. There will be three people working the pharmacy with over 20 people in line and 9 cars in the drive-thru, and there will be one person working the entire store floor, and they are usually manning the register. If I was a low life thief, I know where I would go.

Old 03-03-2024, 09:06 AM

35,692 posts, read 21,049,622 times
They don’t like to pay. I know 4 pharmacists, one in a local mom and pop, she’s got it good. Another now works from home in distributions, one just went to a Cancer Center and the last one going crazy at a CVS. Very very hard, but they don’t pay.

Old 03-03-2024, 05:36 PM

7,325 posts, read 3,804,222 times
My local Walgreens is just now recovering after three years of chaos. We went from 1-day waits before COVID to 7-day (and longer) waits after and continuing until Fall of 2023.

I think COVID prompted many pharmacy techs to re-evaluate their options and they decided it just wasn't worth it. I think they were paid a dollar or two over minimum wage, which is about what In-N-Out Burger pays. And now with the $20/hour fast-food wages coming, why work for $17 and deal with all the pressure at the pharmacy when you can flip burgers for better pay?

The techs were underpaid and I hope the big drug stores finally realize those employees have been getting screwed for years.

Old 03-03-2024, 05:42 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,110,637 times
Had no idea that pharmacist and their staff are worked so hard. I go to my local CVS to pick up prescriptions for my 95 year old MIL. I always see the pharmacy staff working hard. Long lines on the inside and cars in a line outside.

Old 03-03-2024, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post
Had no idea that pharmacist and their staff are worked so hard. I go to my local CVS to pick up prescriptions for my 95 year old MIL. I always see the pharmacy staff working hard. Long lines on the inside and cars in a line outside.
Think about being 50-100 prescriptions behind in your filling line, then have to stop and take 15-20 minutes for vaccinations. Now, how far behind are you?

Before I went into management, I loved retail. Now it totally sucks. Most of my friends quit and the younger pharmacists just do everything their bosses tell them to do. Double shifts, no breaks, etc

Old 03-04-2024, 07:11 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
https://ohiocapitaljournal.com/2024/...understaffing/As a retired pharmacist, this is the best news that I've heard in years.

A CVS pharmacist, mother of several children, was having chest pains. Her supervisor said she'd have to wait until relief arrived instead of calling 911 immediately. She died of a heart attack https://www.businessinsider.com/cvs-...na-2024-2?op=1

https://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...breaks.894982/

Conditions have become deplorable

I'm so glad that the Ohio State Board of Pharmacy took this action

I went into the OSBoP's website and found the new regulations implemented along with the penalties

No company can retaliate against an employee for reporting to the Board

I hope all states follow Ohio and start pounding the chains for overworking staff. This is a global issue, even spreading into Canada https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7265587/

Thank God I'm retired
" of critical understaffing"

So now the fed can tell you how many people you have to have on your payroll?

Where does it stop?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies