Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2024, 10:29 PM

15,823 posts, read 6,532,470 times

Advertisements

Why Are Medications So Expensive in the US? (Psychology Today)

Quote:
A major mechanism driving excessive drug costs is the little-understood (but very powerful) entities known as “Pharmacy Benefit Managers” (PBMs). PBMs date from the late 1950s, when they were created to manage medication reimbursements that were becoming part of medical insurance policies. Over time, PBMs repositioned themselves as critical middlemen between drug manufacturers and pharmacies and, thus patients. Currently, PBMs create the formularies that insurance companies use to determine which medications are covered by a given insurance plan. PBMs also provide “utilization management”, i.e., enforcing the stepwise gauntlet that patients must run and fail before they qualify for the next higher level of medication. Finally, PBMs negotiate prices with drug manufacturers on “behalf” of insurance companies and institutions.

Many researchers indicate that they believe that PBM accounting practices are deliberately made opaque to impede scrutiny and regulation.
If we're going to address the excessive cost of health care in the US, this sounds like one political avenue that could be explored by our government.

Old 03-16-2024, 11:03 PM

23,217 posts, read 29,031,323 times
Medication prices are determined by the national average income of a country. At least that's what I've read.

Old 03-16-2024, 11:09 PM

6,098 posts, read 2,720,244 times
It's morbid that some Americans have to drive to Canada or Mexico to get life saving medications.

Old 03-16-2024, 11:18 PM

21,096 posts, read 19,699,244 times
Because in most cases cost conscious consumers are not buying them, they are being bought by the insurance companies and the government. Why do you think over the counter medicine is so much cheaper than prescription medicine? Why do you think the medicine you get in a hospital is so much more expensive than the same medicine you can buy in a drug store? Why do you think that elective surgery/procedures not covered by insurance/Medicare/caid is so much cheaper than those that are? Eliminate the cost conscious consumer, and companies will charge as much as they can get away with.

Old 03-16-2024, 11:29 PM

8,126 posts, read 3,668,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Medication prices are determined by the national average income of a country. At least that's what I've read.
All European countries regulate medication prices. So it's much cheaper.

Old 03-17-2024, 12:25 AM

7,498 posts, read 5,748,793 times
Insurance companies threaten reduction in manufacturing if they are threatened with cost controls. I say, implement cost controls and let the cards fall were they may. I am getting tired of being taxed to death and expected to pay triple what the rest of the planet pays for basic goods and services.

Sad part is as Joe Bribedin keeps printing money and taxing corporations the less the dollar is worth and the more inflation we will see. Add that to the fact we pay more for everything and well, any reasonable American should be about fed up with this ****.

Old 03-17-2024, 12:45 AM

35,688 posts, read 21,042,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post

If we're going to address the excessive cost of health care in the US, this sounds like one political avenue that could be explored by our government.
Insurance. Many countries have meds you can just buy over the counter. My Dr gave me a note if what to buy and unless is the restricted meds like oxy- you just buy it. I remember my thyroid med cash was $4.00 with insurance $10. Crazy right? Yes, the middle man fees.

Old 03-17-2024, 02:45 AM

7,349 posts, read 3,520,483 times
it’s because our government through regulation considers healthcare and health insurance to be exactly the same thing snd requires everyone to have an insurance policy or be taxed. Ah, the good old days. Since the ACA was passed the cost of healthcare and health insurance both went down as promised…oh wait, they continue spiraling out of control.

Did you know that in the 1980s you didn’t need an entire staff to handle medical billings to insurance companies/medicaid, etc? clearly more government is the solution

Old 03-17-2024, 03:08 AM

30,344 posts, read 19,138,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post

98% of the US medical system is designed to make people unhealthy and get them on a myriad of pills. The Pharmaceutical industry profits enormously from this system and gives a ton of money to politicians to get them to do what they want. My take is the US doesn't have a healthy system, it has an unhealth system.

Another part of the unhealth system is the lies we've been told about the food pyramid, fat is bad, carbs are good, etc.

After getting unhealthy in the US unhealth system, I learned how to opt out so now very fit and healthy in my 60's, very low body fat, high muscle mass, etc.

Old 03-17-2024, 04:23 AM

23,217 posts, read 29,031,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
All European countries regulate medication prices. So it's much cheaper.
But the U.S. is a very corrupt country where our politicians are owned by corporations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.