Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2024, 10:13 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
Insurance companies threaten reduction in manufacturing if they are threatened with cost controls.
Insurance companies don't make the medications.

Just seems like you're ranting and getting your targets confused.

Old 03-17-2024, 11:14 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My2cents55 View Post
It's morbid that some Americans have to drive to Canada or Mexico to get life saving medications.
I retired in Tucson for one reason, 65 miles south to Nogales, just in case I have a battle with the insurance companies or the co-pay is too high. I stock up once a year.

But, it may be super cheap by our standards, but I have to stop and think: OK! I paid $40 for my Combivent, and what about the Mexicans, are they able to afford the $40 for the Combivent? I think not!

I feel for those that aren't closer to the border. Envy goes to those living in El Paso or San Diego.

Old 03-17-2024, 11:22 AM

15,840 posts, read 6,543,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Be great if we had universal healthcare, flat rate for all generic meds, states buying selling generic back to nonprofit/state hospitals, have meds out to the open market in 10 years or less, and all nonprofit healthcare facilities operate under value based care.
Perhaps addressing the prescription cost issue first is the "easier" route to that point? Given our current political situation and the effectiveness of medical lobbyists, even that won't be easy. But we need to start, and prescription drugs seem like the low-hanging fruit. Hopefully one benefit would be lower medicare costs, at least for Part D.

Old 03-17-2024, 11:23 AM

43,106 posts, read 18,269,535 times
There is a revolving door between government and business....

Gottlieb...FDA and Pfizer
Califf...FDA and Verily Life Sciences
Taylor..FDA and Monsanto
Fabricant..FDA, Natural Products Association, FDA, ....

Just a few names thrown out there.

Old 03-17-2024, 11:50 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
All European countries regulate medication prices. So it's much cheaper.
AND, many meds used here are not available there. Friend in Belgium hubby had Crohn's disease, what was effective med here not allowed there.

So there are trade offs and more to the story than what is cheaper.

Different drugs with the same indication may not be effective on all patients with the same medical problem. One drug per indication as approved by governments or insurance, should be considered interference with a patients welfare.

EMA, the Euro version of the FDA does not speak with one voice, as each country imposes its own rules. There was US drug which showed no effectiveness to market it here, safety profile better than drinking water, Was a best seller in Italy.

Costs to discover and screen drugs and conduct clinical trials are atmospheric. Not saying pharma could not be more efficient, plenty of room there.

Marketing also uses the theory that the consumer will choose a product out of the crowd which is more expensive. Higher cost being associated with a superior product.

Insurance and government interference is the major issue.

biden mandates covid vaccine under penalty, to make a windfall fortune for pharma. Then claims he is battling pharma to reduce drug prices. Good political propaganda, not reality. All the promise are years off and subject to reality and change.

Market is considered before a potential drug is developed or goes to clinical trials. Then there are orphan drugs, no market, extremely effective for a few patients.

Old 03-17-2024, 12:11 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,501,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
AND, many meds used here are not available there. Friend in Belgium hubby had Crohn's disease, what was effective med here not allowed there.
Any meds not available there would be due to approval by the EMA. The reverse is also true, some meds available there are not here, due to the FDA. If a drug is not approved by one org, I would dig into further why.

Quote:
Marketing also uses the theory that the consumer will choose a product out of the crowd which is more expensive. Higher cost being associated with a superior product.
We would like to believe that newer and more expensive drugs are better, but in actuality they're often worse. The drug companies make as much money on hype/marketing before the drug is proven to be dangerous and/or less effective than cheaper drugs, before that drug is discontinued. This is true for the vast majority of new drugs, with only a tiny % being better than the drugs proceeding them. So the drug companies are making money on fads and human desperation.

Old 03-17-2024, 12:17 PM

18,496 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
But the U.S. is a very corrupt country where our politicians are owned by corporations.
Correct.

That’s the root of most of our problems in this country.

I’m sure Donald Trump will drain the swamp.

Old 03-17-2024, 12:26 PM

10,068 posts, read 14,444,601 times
Because healthcare in the US is based on a capitalist system, and is for profit.

Actual prioritization of good medicine, and good healthcare, ranks second in priorities for many healthcare companies and organizations, with high profits being first on the list.

And anytime legislation is drafted and/or introduced to begin to change this, many congressmen and women, and senators, block or kill the legislation because they are being given money by healthcare orgs to keep the profits flowing, and actual good healthcare ranks lower in terms of priority.

Old 03-17-2024, 12:28 PM

1,711 posts, read 807,770 times
I think a lot has to do with research and development of new drugs that are only slightly better than what is out there proven to be effective. Understand a specific drug might work on one person and not another due to numerous variables.

They have these labs spending money like crazy knowing that if they do get the slightly better drug they can charge 1000's per prescription and someone will pay for it. No real incentive to reduce development costs - more and more and more

Whenever I see an ad on TV for some new wonder drug I check the price and without exception they are really out there. Which brings up advertising costs, convincing folks they need this new drug and to tell their doctor they want it.

Old 03-17-2024, 01:13 PM

43,106 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post

So there are trade offs and more to the story than what is cheaper.

Different drugs with the same indication may not be effective on all patients with the same medical problem. One drug per indication as approved by governments or insurance, should be considered interference with a patients welfare.

EMA, the Euro version of the FDA does not speak with one voice, as each country imposes its own rules. There was US drug which showed no effectiveness to market it here, safety profile better than drinking water, Was a best seller in Italy.

Costs to discover and screen drugs and conduct clinical trials are atmospheric. Not saying pharma could not be more efficient, plenty of room there.

Insurance and government interference is the major issue.

biden mandates covid vaccine under penalty, to make a windfall fortune for pharma. Then claims he is battling pharma to reduce drug prices. Good political propaganda, not reality. All the promise are years off and subject to reality and change.

Market is considered before a potential drug is developed or goes to clinical trials. Then there are orphan drugs, no market, extremely effective for a few patients.
If people had to buy the drugs with their own money...prices would come down because otherwise no one would buy them.

The cosmetic surgery industry is still affordable because people have to pay with their own money.

When it's not your money, you don't care how much it costs.
Insurance..."oh look, my drug is only $" instead of $$$$
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies