Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2024, 01:06 PM

8,063 posts, read 12,774,958 times

Advertisements

I have several "Facebook friends" who are absolute political tools (both Dem and Republican). I have an issue sometimes that when I see a complete lie or half-truth it compels me to respond. It is fine and dandy on places like city data where I don't care if someone disagrees but it is not appropriate telling your cousin she's full of poop.
So I posted that I would be unfriending anyone who gets political on Facebook until after the election. What would you do if a Facebook "Friend" posted this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2024, 01:08 PM

3,989 posts, read 6,576,956 times
Nothing. Ignoring someone is a really handy skill to have. The other one is a neat little feature on FB that allows you to stop seeing someone's posts for 30 days.

Old 03-20-2024, 01:10 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,692,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
Nothing. Ignoring someone is a really handy skill to have. The other one is a neat little feature on FB that allows you to stop seeing someone's posts for 30 days.
Snooze button def is a nice feature but I wish it was more options. I don't want to unfollow someone completely but even ignoring politics. It's nice to mute people during a football season. But that requires several 30 day mutes. Wish they had 30, 60, 90, 110, 180, 365.

Because the problem it seems at 30 is once that 30 days passes many of the posts start showing up for the last week so you get 5-10 posts while scrolling.

Old 03-20-2024, 01:10 PM

4,545 posts, read 2,269,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I have several "Facebook friends" who are absolute political tools (both Dem and Republican). I have an issue sometimes that when I see a complete lie or half-truth it compels me to respond. It is fine and dandy on places like city data where I don't care if someone disagrees but it is not appropriate telling your cousin she's full of poop.
So I posted that I would be unfriending anyone who gets political on Facebook until after the election. What would you do if a Facebook "Friend" posted this?

Easy. I deleted my FB account. I then got a new one with a name sort of like my old one and used a burner email account but friended absolutely no one, including my husband. I use my account to find out local happenings or to join groups that I am interested in without my "friends" seeing my every move.

Old 03-20-2024, 01:16 PM

9,504 posts, read 4,340,821 times
Meh. It's just FB - they're not real friends for the most part, so I don't care if they post stupid ****. They're only making themselves look bad. In the real friend world, I don't pick my friends based on their political leanings. There's more to people than their politics. Just roll with it.

Old 03-20-2024, 01:18 PM

6,556 posts, read 7,133,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
I unfollow but stay friends with people who post nonstop things or political stuff (almost spam). This almost backfired on me as one of my friends almost died. I’ve gotten back in touch with her ever since and glad I actually did.

Old 03-20-2024, 01:21 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
I'd probably unfriend you first. I don't need that kind of petty nonsense in my life.

There are many nifty little features Facebook has that can help you avoid topics you don't want to see.
  1. The first is to continue scrolling until the offending post is no longer in view.
  2. The second is to snooze a person or group for 30 days; with groups, you can prevent them from being in your feed but stay in the group.
  3. You can unfollow friends; you'll stop seeing their posts but remain friends. You can reverse than whenever you want.
But the easiest thing to do? Keep scrolling. Keep your own political opinions off Facebook. Friends are more important than any short-term political disagreements.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
It's nice to mute people during a football season. But that requires several 30 day mutes.
Wow, what a hardship.

Last edited by Ohiogirl81; 03-20-2024 at 01:35 PM..

Old 03-20-2024, 01:22 PM

3,331 posts, read 2,136,915 times
Quote:
I self-censor on FB when it comes to the petty musings of friends and family, because i dont need to comment on [everything]. When comments are egregious or profoundly consequential, I speak my mind. I have a pretty tight circle (though it's very politically diverse). My family has always been open to discourse about anything, and I've been fortunate to have that as it would seem most do not. Anybody (right or left) who would unfriend me for expressing a genuine opinion in good faith has already done so. I've told them all to respectfully challenge me if they disagree, but understand I will do the same. When people are incapable of doing so, they're almost always not people worth having in your daily life in my experience. I'm always open to new information, and even changing my mind. I want people around me who feel the same, otherwise everyone literally lying to varying extents, all the time. Keep those incapable of 'adulting' on the periphery or wash your hands of them as appropriate.

Just my 2cents.

Old 03-20-2024, 01:26 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,087,596 times
Quote:

Take a chill.

You can put people on ignore without unfriending them.

If you announce that you're going to unfriend people over political posts, it just makes you look petty.

And most people who are actually your friends and family probably already
know your political leanings, so it would be pretty easy for them to know who you're talking about.

Old 03-20-2024, 01:29 PM

8,063 posts, read 12,774,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Take a chill.

You can put people on ignore without unfriending them.

If you announce that you're going to unfriend people over political posts, it just make you look petty.
Only going to unfriend them until after the election. If they choose to not accept my friend request after the election I'm fine with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies