Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2024, 09:25 AM

17,299 posts, read 12,228,591 times

Advertisements

Teens getting in fights in public spaces aren't fearing the consequences of the JV system. And likely their parents must not care if they have that attitude. Should parents be liable?

Quote:
"When juvenile court has decided to not have criminal-like consequences for the behavior of people under 18, there may be not enough structure in their homes, this is the end result," Hils said.

Kober called for parents to be held accountable in addition to the children involved.

​"The juvenile justice system doesn't want to hold kids accountable," said Kober. "Then hold the parents accountable because they are responsible for their child — regardless if they want to be or not."
https://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news...s-at-the-banks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2024, 09:30 AM

11,768 posts, read 5,781,921 times
Depends - I've already related how my son, while in high school, held back a boy who was going after a female security guard and my son got suspended and they threatened to not allow him to take his exams that were happening that week. Son served the suspension but they stopped the threat of not taking his exams after my husband went to see them. Sometimes good kids doing the right thing get hauled into the mess. If it's a child that is continually getting into trouble and the parents have been notified and done nothing about it - then yes - hold the parents accountable.

Old 04-05-2024, 09:32 AM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
In my opinion --

Only in cases where severe neglect (as in ignoring obvious signs of potential violence from their children) or severe abuse led to the criminal behavior -- as in the recent case where the parents were convicted for not only ignoring their son's obvious mental health problems but they actually supplied him with a gun.

Imo, anyone who thinks that MOST parents can control what their teenage children do on a 24/7 basis has either not had any teenage children -- or if parents DO control every actions of their children 24/7, they might possibly be found guilty of abuse for "locking their kids up" 24/7 and depriving them of any social interaction.

Also, sometimes accidents happen when there is no intent of harm. I knew of an incident where two teenage boys were reportedly engaging in horseplay, playfully shoving each other, near the edge of a flat roof of a one-story building. One boy fell off and was hurt, although no lasting damage resulted, but the other boy wasn't charged because he immediately ran to get help and was very upset, and everyone knew the two boys were friends (and the injured boy admitted that they were both just goofing around and it was just a stupid accident). However, if the boy had been seriously and permanently injured, should the parents of the first boy been held responsible? I don't think so.

Last edited by katharsis; 04-05-2024 at 09:43 AM..

Old 04-05-2024, 09:33 AM

50,710 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Depends - I've already related how my son, while in high school, held back a boy who was going after a female security guard and my son got suspended and they threatened to not allow him to take his exams that were happening that week. Son served the suspension but they stopped the threat of not taking his exams after my husband went to see them. Sometimes good kids doing the right thing get hauled into the mess. If it's a child that is continually getting into trouble and the parents have been notified and done nothing about it - then yes - hold the parents accountable.
I was a wild child as a teen, and sometimes I wonder if my mom could have done anything but I don’t know what she could have done. She worked and had no choice about that, and was gone 9 hours a day. I’d pretend to go out for the bus but instead hide in the laundry room of the apartment building and wait till I saw her leave, then go back home. Our apartment was often party central with booze and drugs and she never knew.

Old 04-05-2024, 09:35 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,583 posts, read 17,927,273 times
It's funny, that when you threaten to punish parents for misbehaviors of their kids, suddenly parents who kept saying they had no control over their kids behavior suddenly found a way to control their kids.

A school district near here started requiring parents to attend Saturday Detention for truant kids (instead of punishing the kids) and voila, suddenly the kids weren't truant anymore.

Like magic.

Old 04-05-2024, 09:36 AM

4,898 posts, read 2,052,348 times
Yes!!

Old 04-05-2024, 09:43 AM

17,299 posts, read 12,228,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
In my opinion --

Only in cases where severe neglect (as in ignoring obvious signs of potential violence from their children) or severe abuse led to the criminal behavior -- as in the recent case where the parents were convicted for not only ignoring their son's obvious mental health problems but they actually supplied him with a gun.

Imo, anyone who thinks that MOST parents can control what their teenage children do on a 24/7 basis has either not had any teenage children -- or if parents DO control every actions of their children 24/7, they might possibly be found guilty of abuse for "locking their kids up" 24/7 and depriving them of any social interaction.

Also, sometimes accidents happen when there is no intent of harm. I knew of an incident where two teenage boys were reportedly engaging in horseplay, playfully shoving each other, near the edge of a flat roof of a one-story building. One boy fell off and was hurt, although no lasting damage resulted, but the other boy wasn't charged because he immediately ran to get help and was very upset, and everyone knew the two boys were friends. However, if the boy had been seriously and permanently injured, should the parents of the first boy been held responsible? I don't think so.
If the teen is arrested and put in front of juvenile court but the parents don't take any action to discipline the kid is that severe neglect?

Last edited by notnamed; 04-05-2024 at 09:58 AM..

Old 04-05-2024, 09:44 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Ask James and Jennifer Crumbley.

Old 04-05-2024, 09:47 AM

24,456 posts, read 17,203,514 times
The problem is that kids are having kids and add in financial instability, a lack of education and an overall "Don't care attitude" and you get people that blame the world for their own poor behavior.

I have been personally witness to this when an inlaw made excuses to the family, Police and School Authorities for his daughter that was skipping school, sneaking out of the house, staying out all night, hanging out with losers, smoking, drinking, drugs and having sex at the age of 14.
This "dad" didn't care to do the work it was going to take to put his daughter on the right path and after about 15 years of being a hard core alcoholic she has finally figured it out for herself and is doing well. This was a generational problem because he faced the same issues as a teen.

Parents should be held accountable for their kids but that is tough when the parent (s) are just as ignorant as the kids.

Old 04-05-2024, 09:48 AM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
If the teen is arrested and put in front of juvenile court but the parents don't take any action to discipline the kid severe neglect?
Well, my first reaction is to say that is IS neglect -- but what counts for "disciplinary action"?

Some people might say that basically saying, "I hope you learned something" is good enough, but other people might think that grounding a kid for a year isn't sufficient.

I think that it depends on the actual "crime" and it also depends on the kid. Some kids have a defiant "So what?" attitude even if what they did was bad, like flipping off a teacher, while other kids are devastated if their parents even give them a disapproving look for just a very minor infraction such as using a bad word. (In my family, I was of the second type, but one of my sister was of the first type -- that sister got much more severe punishments than I did.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies