Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 06:12 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,577,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I believe that was the OP's point... no straight marriages have been destroyed (that we know of), despite some people's fears about that. It was a weak argument against gay marriages, and now they're being awfully quiet about the actual effects.
OK, here's an analogy..(wait til I back away slowly from my computer--- this could get 'ugly'..)

Of course, no one seriously believes gay marriage will "destroy" traditional marriage..or that traditional marriage isn't already suffering SEVERE stress from a number of sources. That's just silly, and most of us addressed this in a 'tongue-in-cheek' manner.

However, there IS a 'disconnect' between traditional Western Judeo-Christian tradition, and modern efforts to normalize gay marriage (and a number of OTHER things)..

Perhaps a better analogy would be "Will 'Rockabilly' country music, 'honky-tonk', and 'gangsta rap', destroy Classical Music"?....the answer?: Of COURSE not. Those who delight in the subtle nuances, delicacy, and diverse richness of traditional "classical music" will always be able to continue to do so. Some of them MAY, however, grumble that 'the newer stuff' isn't really as advanced...nor is it of a equivalent cultural 'worth'....nor is it as richly complex, as are the 'classics'. Some may even make a case that certain recent innovations in the music field "aren't really music at ALL".

While this couldn't be called "destroying classical music", it is pretty obviously going to spark serious 'musical discord', heated debate, and charges that certain fads are 'subverting' the world of music...by threatening to change the very definition of what music itself really "is". Passionate reaction can be counted on, from BOTH sides of the debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 06:19 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,421,247 times
Well said, mac.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:37 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,377,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I believe that was the OP's point... no straight marriages have been destroyed (that we know of), despite some people's fears about that. It was a weak argument against gay marriages, and now they're being awfully quiet about the actual effects.
My point is that nobody said it will destroy their marriage, how could it. the argument was not weak to me, it was only weak to those who it opposed, the weakness was the instant name calling, you see i'm pretty neutral to the whole thing and have watched it in an outsiders view, what i saw was someone came in and expressed their view and became a bigot, even being accused of having hidden homosexual feelings, it was a sorry display to say the least.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:47 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,376,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
What now has to happen is straight people can obviously no longer call their sacred union a "marriage" anymore since the gays have hijacked that word.

I propose henceforth a man and a woman become "snogglepuffed". Let the gays keep the word marriage all for themselves. Anyone currently married can get a grandfather waiver and become snogglepuffed free of charge at the County Clerk's Office.
You can just go snogglepuff yourself!

Old 06-18-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
My point is that nobody said it will destroy their marriage, how could it. the argument was not weak to me, it was only weak to those who it opposed, the weakness was the instant name calling, you see i'm pretty neutral to the whole thing and have watched it in an outsiders view, what i saw was someone came in and expressed their view and became a bigot, even being accused of having hidden homosexual feelings, it was a sorry display to say the least.
It always is, when you go up against the PC police.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:34 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,809,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
From your exalted "ivory tower" there on the "Gold Coast", it may indeed appear to you that "gays" are causing an inordinate number of heterosexual marriages to fail. But yours is not a 'real world' view.

Take some time, and drive inland. Out into the scrub country..out where the "real people" live. I guarantee you that you'll find that heterosexual marriages fail for a NUMBER of reasons, many having nothing to do with gays. Want to pinpoint some blame? Try these..

1 Budweiser
2 Harley-Davidson
3 Brunswick pool tables
4 Remington firearms
5 Alan Jackson
6 Short skirts
7 Bass Pros
8 Golf
9 Old Army buddies
10 Juke boxes
11 Cheap motels
12 Gay marriage

There are a LOT of things arrayed against 'traditional marriage'. As you can see, "gay marriage" is only part of a MUCH bigger picture...
I think I'd rank overweight men in speedos as number 1 myself. That or men with very hairy backs.

Joking aside, if gays did impact hetero marriage at all, it only means that getting married for proffessional reasons to hide being gay won't be as much of an issue anymore. Married 15-20 yrs and your spouse finally confesses their true sexual orientation- that would be pretty hard to take IMO.

I can't understand why anyone thinks its ok to pass judgement on the choices of another when they aren't paying their bills. It's enough work for me to make my own choices thoughtfully. What happens between consenting adults is their business, not mine.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:56 PM

650 posts, read 1,207,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post

I can't understand why anyone thinks its ok to pass judgement on the choices of another when they aren't paying their bills. It's enough work for me to make my own choices thoughtfully. What happens between consenting adults is their business, not mine.
I liked that last line so much, I thought I'd like to see it again.

There it is.

Thank you for the gentle, non-denominational, un-agenda'ed voice of reason. I'm with you on this one.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:45 PM

How about polygamous consenting adults?

Still hunky-dory?

Old 06-19-2008, 02:06 PM

5,073 posts, read 4,742,226 times
Why can it only be a "sacred union" between straight people? Love and commitment is just as sacred between gay people. Again I must wonder, what are you all so scared of when it comes to the marriage of two consenting adults?

Old 06-19-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollygolightly View Post
Why can it only be a "sacred union" between straight people? Love and commitment is just as sacred between gay people. Again I must wonder, what are you all so scared of when it comes to the marriage of two consenting adults?
I dont think anyone is "scared."

Many of us are offended, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies