Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 06:52 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,314,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodixieforme View Post
Religion influences my political choices insofar as I am a staunch advocate of the separation between church and state. Therefore, I would in no way support anyone who chooses to repudiate that facet of our government (i.e. Mike Huckabee). Religion has no place in politics (ideally), and as long as it does not interfere with the tenets and platforms of the individual in question, I couldn't care less what their spiritual convictions are. I'd vote for a Buddhist, Muslim, Christian, or atheist without giving it a second thought as long as their policies comported with my own thoroughly progressive leanings. One does not have to have faith to be qualified. If anything, I consider it superfluous and potentially damaging.
If you are black, Catholic, or Presbyterian, odds are you have politics preached from your pulpit. This by no means includes all people of those groups so don't be kicking back at me if your congregation doesn't. It also means that if your group wasn't named, your congregation is necessarily excluded from my generalization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 07:02 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
Would America vote for a Buddhist, an atheist, an agnostic, a Baha'i, a Unitarian, a Muslim or a Jew? Is it terrorism or religous bigotry that fuels the fear in this election?
No impact. Religious/spiritual matters do not belong in the material world. Leave the material world to the materialists, give yourself over to a Higher Power.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:04 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,162,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodixieforme View Post
Religion influences my political choices insofar as I am a staunch advocate of the separation between church and state. Therefore, I would in no way support anyone who chooses to repudiate that facet of our government (i.e. Mike Huckabee). Religion has no place in politics (ideally), and as long as it does not interfere with the tenets and platforms of the individual in question, I couldn't care less what their spiritual convictions are. I'd vote for a Buddhist, Muslim, Christian, or atheist without giving it a second thought as long as their policies comported with my own thoroughly progressive leanings. One does not have to have faith to be qualified. If anything, I consider it superfluous and potentially damaging.
Thank you - well said!!!

Old 06-22-2008, 07:24 PM

242 posts, read 193,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
If you are black, Catholic, or Presbyterian, odds are you have politics preached from your pulpit. This by no means includes all people of those groups so don't be kicking back at me if your congregation doesn't. It also means that if your group wasn't named, your congregation is necessarily excluded from my generalization.
What are you talking about? I don't have a congregation.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:45 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Religion belongs in you and your home and your church. No where else. Not in government, not in the schools. And before religious zealots start trying to tell us how to live, they should do a bit of clean up on their own!

YouTube - Church Fight

Old 06-22-2008, 07:49 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,314,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Religion belongs in you and your home and your church. No where else. Not in government, not in the schools. And before religious zealots start trying to tell us how to live, they should do a bit of clean up on their own!

YouTube - Church Fight
I believe that a (any) church is constitutionally separated and should never participate in political stances.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:52 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
The MORE religious a candidate is, the LESS I would think about voting for him.

I found Bushs Christmas card from the white house that was EXTREMELY religious, completely innappropriate. He sent it out to everyone, even people he KNEW were Jewish for instance. I don't believe churches have the right to scream FOR seperation of church and state in order to justify no taxation of them, or involvement of the government AND then turn around and muddy the waters by turning the President into an American Pope like figure.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:58 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,112,238 times
My faith is at the core of my being and the most important thing in my life. It informs eveything I do.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:17 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I would say that since every president seems to confirm his christian beliefs that runs ;I really can't tell.In fact looking at what JFK went thru and the candidates confessions of belief it seems very impotant in this country. Certainly politcans at the national level believe it is a litmus test like abortion to be a democratic candidate.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:59 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,406,252 times
I am not religious really at all (haven't been to a service in years) and I basically would define myself as agnostic. If there is a God (of Gods), I think it almost certainly will be different from what traditional religion has conceived. So, I guess generally I don't have any kind of religious litmus test for who I vote for.

That being said, I also understand that to some people their religion is important to them (I have some people like this in my family). So it is impossible to completely separate religion from public policy anymore than you can separate any other philosophical view from policy. To many people, their religion or religious views influence their political stance on certain issues, from support for the poor, to abortion, to aid to Africa. Frankly, I try to judge these policies on their merits apart from the religious underpinnings. For example, I am pro-choice simply because I don't think the government has any business in intimate family issues. The fact that religious people support abortion or not or agnostics or atheists feel one way or another is irrelevant. With most issues I think this is the best way to approach it.

The problem is when certain specific religions attempt to pressure others to accept their own particular form of religious faith or have the government sanction or support their beliefs through official recognition. In this situation it's a different story. Like it or not Christians, when you have a school, court house, government building or other official government institution display, proclaim, or otherwise support something as simple as the 10 Commandments, that does constitute an official support by the government of Christianity and an implied rejection of other religions (or philosophies) that don't honor this particular religious doctrine. Of course this is just one potential example of a wider phenomenon.

In this case, if a religious person of whatever stripe supports policies that attempt to have government in any way sanction or support their religion, then I will specifically vote against that person and a large part of the reason will be because of their religious belief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies