Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2008, 06:10 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,502,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
Do you have another screen name..."Tkramar"?
Multiple screen names are a violation of the ToS. You might need to adjust to the fact that more than just one sensible person posts here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 07:07 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,416,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
...more than just one sensible person posts here...
LOL okay, just checking; because your penchant for non-gun combat against armed assailants is so very similar to tkramar's.

He has a kung fu grip that he uses against his armed assailants with a great deal of success.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:47 AM

18,359 posts, read 26,530,084 times
Quote:
Bush doesn't have any particular effect on DC at all. Just another President. As for the country as a whole, your first impression was quite correct.
He appointed justices favorable to the individual right contained in the Second Amendment. Had Kerry (or Gore earlier) been elected, the decision may have gone the other way.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
The court I guess disagreed.
The Justices aren't posting in this thread. If they were, I'm sure they'd be as dismayed (and regaled) as I am over some of the legal and historical arguments presented.

Quote:
Its very simple if you take it simply for what it says.
Everything looks like a nail when all you have is a hammer. If it were that simple, why do you suppose so many people would have spent so much time debating the matter?

Quote:
You find accountability threatening? Interesting concept.
No, I find it a meaningless right-wing buzzword.

Quote:
Personally I think gun crime is too insignificant across the board to warrent the abuses heaped on gun owners.
Well, we'll try to ramp that up for you so as to better grab your attention.

Quote:
You point out the lives that it costs & then say that its incredibly rare in the instances I point out.
That would be because the big splashy events that you refer to are extremely rare, while the background drip-drip-drip of everyday gun casualties mounts up each year to staggering levels.

Quote:
Guns are most widely found in gun shops & gun shows. Thats where your gun crime is? Or do you mean you only hear about guns where they are used in crime & thats in bad areas?
And money is most widely found in banks. Yet I'm still able to notice that some neighborhoods are more wealthy than others. Clever me, eh?

Quote:
I shoot doorknobs for practice.
Not when you don't see them coming. Doorknobs are a lot like the Spanish Inquisition -- nobody expects them. One conk, and down you go, big boy...

Old 06-30-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
He appointed justices favorable to the individual right contained in the Second Amendment. Had Kerry (or Gore earlier) been elected, the decision may have gone the other way.
Well never know, will we. Meanwhile, the decision is a scant four days old. Not quite enough time to judge what its effects anywhere will be. I guess we should expect DC's already modest crime rate to plummet, though?

Old 06-30-2008, 09:11 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,295,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Well never know, will we. Meanwhile, the decision is a scant four days old. Not quite enough time to judge what its effects anywhere will be. I guess we should expect DC's already modest crime rate to plummet, though?
No.

What we can expect is for DC's residents to be acquiring firearms for personal protection

Old 06-30-2008, 09:18 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,882,295 times
As always, the Liberals in the SC vote how they think and want, not with what The Constitution actually says. They think it's a "living document" that can be changed to their desires. They need to go!! This is where Obama could do the most damage to the country if he gets in.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:41 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,124,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I see no reason to do as you suggest. My theory is, if someone has chosen to invade my home, to threaten me and / or my family, they deserve to die.

Amen to that!!

I just hope that you get close enough to the perp (and endanger yourself even more) that you can hit him with the porcelain doorknob.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:43 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,124,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
As always, the Liberals in the SC vote how they think and want, not with what The Constitution actually says. They think it's a "living document" that can be changed to their desires. They need to go!! This is where Obama could do the most damage to the country if he gets in.

I agree. I think people should now go buy handguns before another opportunity to ban them presents itself like in, oh, when the Dems take over in January.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:45 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,359,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
They won't go. He will get in.

So hide your guns. Saganista will send his minions to confiscate them.

And be careful. They're all armed with doorknobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies