Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 11:08 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,938,929 times

Advertisements

I know the climate on this board is bad for this type of post and I'm sure we'll here all kinds of so called rational support from the antigay camp for this, but I was shocked. According to the article it's not just conservatives in WI that want to put gays in jail and fine them for marrying in CA, groups in other states are reviving these laws as well. I fear now for my freedom and my life in this country

JS Online: Wisconsin gay couples who marry outside state could face penalty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 11:12 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,115,810 times
Well, the article states "an obscure state law that makes it a crime for Wisconsin residents to enter into marriage in another state if the marriage would be prohibited here."

I'm interested to know what the genesis of the law was, if it was really so obscure it must be old...right? And if so, I'm sure that it wasn't in place to stop gays from getting married.

Anyone know what the original intent of the law was?

Old 07-07-2008, 11:30 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,115,810 times
Oh...I found it in the article:
Quote:
The law is believed to have been enacted to prohibit underage couples from going across state lines to marry and returning to Wisconsin to live, Carlson said.
I also found some stuff that stated it was also used to prevent relatives from marrying and also polygamy.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:40 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,411,954 times
But MMB, your opinion isn't relevant since it would be "so called rational support from the anti-gay camp."

Regardless of the fact that your opinion is perfectly rational and it took you, what, 18 minutes to find the truth?

Old 07-07-2008, 11:40 AM

It's an older law that is (potentially) being revived soley to persecute homosexuals. If the state does not recognize gay marriage why bother putting someone in jail or fining them for getting married in CA, MA, Canada, etc.?

Old 07-07-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
But MMB, your opinion isn't relevant since it would be "so called rational support from the anti-gay camp."

Regardless of the fact that your opinion is perfectly rational and it took you, what, 18 minutes to find the truth?
Reviving an archaic law soley to persecute homosexuals

I never said it was created for that purpose, and that is not the issue at hand. The issue is they are Reviving an archaic law soley to persecute homosexuals.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:43 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,761,637 times
More stupidity from a nation ruled by idiots. I say just remove marriage from government control, and that's it. We have a terrible energy crisis that will end this system in the future is stupidity like this keeps getting our attention.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:51 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,411,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel and The Dolphin View Post
Reviving an archaic law soley to persecute homosexuals...
Really! Did they say that? "Yes, you gay marrying people, we are summoning up this law from ancient history to persecute you".

And, in addition, did they say it twice? Because clearly it bears repeating.

Because what it'd appear to be on the surface, is a law that's been on the books for quite some time for good reason, and some people perhaps unknowingly) may break the law and pay the price.

Then others would know better in the future.

Of course, there's also the other options: 1. Move to a more gay-friendly state, or 2. Become active in your local and state government to change the law.

I wonder what option will be chosen.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
Really! Did they say that? "Yes, you gay marrying people, we are summoning up this law from ancient history to persecute you".

And, in addition, did they say it twice? Because clearly it bears repeating.

Because what it'd appear to be on the surface, is a law that's been on the books for quite some time for good reason, and some people perhaps unknowingly) may break the law and pay the price.

Then others would know better in the future.

Of course, there's also the other options: 1. Move to a more gay-friendly state, or 2. Become active in your local and state government to change the law.

I wonder what option will be chosen.
1. I am very active in Human Rights campaigning and local/national politics (Your post seems to assume the opposite, though I could be interpreting wrong..can't imagine where you would come up with that).

2. It says right in the article that conservatives are trying to get the law enforced (many archaic laws are not) because of the gay marriage thing.

3. Nice to see that you advocate sending gay people to jail. Now I know you advocate for my incarceration simply for doing something you think is icky. Tells me alot about your charachter.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:18 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,643,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel and The Dolphin View Post

I never said it was created for that purpose, and that is not the issue at hand. The issue is they are Reviving an archaic law soley to persecute homosexuals.
Hmm, I am all for gay marriage, but I have to say...I didn't get this from the article. It sounds like someone found this law on the books (I am sure that there are also laws prohibiting showing ones knees in public and swearing in front of women and children), and brought it up as a potential stumbling block for those couples returning from CA. It didn't sound to me like the klan was readying a gay barbque.
I think it prudent to be watchful for ways another group can usurp ones civil rights, or place religion into government.....but at the same time take off your tinfoil hat, man! WI isn't going the Iranian route of 'dealing' with homosexuals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies