Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 12:29 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,293,822 times

Advertisements

Since we have just celebrated July 4th, I started thinking about how our country has evolved and what the serious issues were then and today. The last amendment to the constitution was in 1992 to limit congressional pay raises. What do you think the pressing issue will be to create a new amendment? Illegal immigration, Gay marriage, cloning and technological advances are all issues that come to mind. Maybe an amendment that would forbid the government from appropriating taxes from U.S. citizens for the support of undocumented immigrants without expressed consent. Maybe something that defines humanity to combat advances in cloning that may occur (even if the act itself is illegal).

What are your thoughts on what the 28th amendment to the constitution will deal with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 12:36 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,444,099 times
I think the next constitutional amendment will be "Anything goes" as we no longer stand for anything as a country.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:40 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,751,957 times
I doubt there is the unity for any type of constitutional ammendment.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:41 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,268,940 times
I, for one, would like to see an amendment that severely restricts the ability of the federal government to use tax dollars to fund aggressive wars. I would also like one that restricts federal subsidies to for-profit corporations (based on the premise that if a company can't survive in a pure market, it has no business being in business). Finally, I would like to see an amendment that repeals the 16th Amendment and establishes a much more reasonable sales tax in its place.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:04 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,486,084 times
I'd like one that limits supreme court justices to two, nine year terms. That way we don't have to have such a severe fight over justices who are appointed for life. It would also mean that any bad decisions they make (ie, rulings that take power away from the legislatures) can be more easily overturned. No other western country has justices that are appointed for life, especially since their positions have become more powerful with time.

While their at it, they could also do something to enhance the power of the elected legislatures at the expense of the unelected Supreme Court. I don't know what form that may take, or if it would work at all, but sometimes I worry about the checks and balances these days.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:10 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,777,470 times
The next one that passes will probably be either one that admits Puerto Rico into statehood or one that requres a balanced budget by the Federal Government (with an out for emergencies approved by 3/5ths of the Congress). I expect that to get hot when all the bills the Republicans have racked up come due soon and the dollar falls to the level of the Peso.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:13 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,777,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
I, for one, would like to see an amendment that severely restricts the ability of the federal government to use tax dollars to fund aggressive wars. I would also like one that restricts federal subsidies to for-profit corporations (based on the premise that if a company can't survive in a pure market, it has no business being in business). Finally, I would like to see an amendment that repeals the 16th Amendment and establishes a much more reasonable sales tax in its place.
A Balanced Budget Amendment would do both. It would force Congress to prioritize things and force the American people to do likewise. If Bush had to come to the American people and say "I want to raise your taxes and lower your benefits to pay for a war in Iraq", I suspect we would not be in Iraq right now. It is easier to just say "charge it" and send the bill to somebody else.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:13 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,193,839 times
I think that the next constitutional amendment will deal with the most contentious current issue. Taxes, check and balances and all the rest have been with us in their modern form for over 100 years. But I know what is a growing issue where we can't seem to even pass legislation:

Immigration. I believe the rules will change that state that anyone born in the US is granted citizenship. Things will get more technical and more difficult.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:16 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,037,393 times
Well, it is difficult to get an amendment to pass, you would need a lot of people wanting it to pass. I doubt the next amendment will deal with abortion or gay marriage, since those are both state's rights issues anyways.

If it were possible, I'd want an amendment forcing presidential candidates to only campaign a few weeks prior to the election. That way, we wouldn't sit through a year of constant arguing, mud-slinging, advertisement, and otherwise.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:19 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,485,065 times
How 'bout an amendment something akin to taxes on labor is illegal, plain and clear and no ambiguity whatsoever?!

I think 200 million citizens can agree to that!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies