Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2008, 12:31 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,007,791 times

Advertisements

I saw this when it first came out and have tried to get others to watch but no one's really interested it seems. I think they're afraid if they watch it they may not want to shop there any longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 12:40 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,376,647 times
Where does the 18 cents an hour come from? Somebody says it first then everyone else becomes a believer and follows suit?

About 5 years ago I was talking with a friend in China who told me the average wage there was about $280 per month. Possibly that was for office jobs.

Part of a 2007 NY Times article talks about a factory worker who works a 45-hour week putting seats on bicycles and makes the equivalent of $263 a month. It goes on to say that businesses are having a hard time finding able-bodied workers and are having to pay the workers they can find more money.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/29/bu...s/29labor.html

The worker above earns $263 a month.
$61 per week
$12 per day
$1.35 per hour

When minimum wage here in the U.S. was $1.00 per hour I worked hard labor in a mill - 60 hour weeks and didn't get paid extra for overtime. I was 14.

When I was 19 and drafted into the army and sent to Vietnam I was paid $90.00 per month for the entire first year. The above factory job would have been luxurious in comparison.

Low wages is better than no wages. WalMart is good more than it is evil.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:33 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,636,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
Wal-Mart is simply being targeted b/c it's the "biggest, baddest boy on the block." Consider plastics, housewares, toys, clothes, automobile parts, etc. Where are most of them made nowadays? That's right, China, paying workers wages of $1.00 per day.

Tell me if any of the following diverse array of retailers do anything considerably different: Costco? Target? Meijer? Walgreen's? CVS? Rite Aid? Macy's? Dillard's? Dollar General, Dollar Tree, Kroger, Winn-Dixie, HEB, Publix...any of these guys?
I wouldn't put Costco in that list. Costco pays their employees actual living wages and with paid holidays and offers profit sharing and good benefits. They are a much better corporate neighbor than Wal-Mart. Costco also carries better quality stuff.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:40 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,193,501 times
At the end of the day, it wasn't WalMart who put the mom & pop stores out of business, it was the consumers who chose to purchase cheaper products. The problem isn't with Walmart anymore than it is with American greed and need for reduced prices.

I did watch the documentary last year. Don't stores such as Dollar General, Famly Dollar, etc. all purchase a majority of their items from China? I was disturbed at the low wages paid to the Chinese factory workers. This is an area which I would love to see addressed, but I'm not sure if American citizens have any power besides sales power.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:30 PM

972 posts, read 1,331,312 times
My problem with walmart mainly is the products from china such as all the toys having lead paint on them. Try to find American made toys these days...it's pretty hard. we as Americans should not be buying products that dont meet our standards, and should not support companys that put our own factorys overseas, and companys or products that do not follow our labor standards. It's really that simple.

Last edited by chasingclouds; 11-19-2008 at 04:55 PM..

Old 11-19-2008, 05:48 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
I agree. This video is left-wing propaganda against a company that has done far more to help the economy - through job creation and lower prices - than any big-government social welfare program could ever hope to.
I doubt that it if Wal-Mart employees have to go on welfare to help feed their kids.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:54 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I just watched on a channel called Movieplex, the most dispicable, shocking and deplorable way, Wal Mart Does Business...

Unbelieveable and so shocking, you'll cry.

http://www.walmartmovie.com/

I will no longer walk into a Wal Mart...ever again! And this is what American Companies are doing. Greed, just plain Greed!

They farm all their manufacturing of their products out to 3rd World countries...they pay these workers 18 cents an hour (I think as I was so shocked by all the information on this documentary, I could not retain the information and plan to watch it again) ..the workers are trained to lie, actually taken into meetings and told how to lie so when the inspectors come in, about how many hours they work, about how many days a week they work...and if they don't do what they are told, those people are beaten...or fired. Is it no wonder that now and then some of our products have been sabotaged...oh, yeah, this is Good American Foreign Policy....no wonder other countries hate us? We have become barbaric and will do anything for money, and get rich quick schemes...even at the cost of human lives????

Wal Mart, has survalence cameras outside over looking their parking lots...but no one working them...they scrolled down on the screen how many crimes were committed at the parking lots of Wal Mart...unfathomable....unbelievable...that Wal Mart Cares so little for their employees and customers. Have you ever gone into a Wal Mart Store and asked for a big bag for your items...they don't have them...to expensive?????

They showed the estates of the owners and CEO's of Wal Mart....dispicable...how they could wallow in their riches at the cost of human beings....

I will never shop in another wal mart store again....I don't care how they advertise they are doing better...remember, everytime you purchase an item at Wal Mart, you are making them rich, and allowing them to treat their manufacturers deplorable wages and conditions.

And I'm certain Wal Mart isn't the only company...I think any company in America that would farm their work out to 3rd world countries, at the cost of quality customer relations to line their pockets with money are an insult to the integrity of the United States.

It is down right Greed.

I am so angry and upset...these people should be made to move to these countries where these people are actually slaves and made to live there....period, they should be driven out of the U.S. This is not what the U.S. grew on, and it is becoming an insult to those great men, like Adams, Jefferson, Washington, Franklin...for all they fought hard for so that American's could live free from this kind of behavior.

This is appauling, disgraceful...and makes me embarrassed that I have shopped there constantly...never again!

Creme
Welcome to the club...of Walmart haters. I have posted several threads about their despicable business practices and how they are a major player in ruining our economy. People come to their defense and I do not know why. I have even emailed Walmart to tell them what I think of their gluttonous ways. I know that it does no good, but at least I got to vent. All of the USA should boycott Walmart..it is the patriotic thing to do. At least NYC will never allow Walmart within the city. The small businesses here will not allow it to happen.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
Wal-Mart is simply being targeted b/c it's the "biggest, baddest boy on the block." Consider plastics, housewares, toys, clothes, automobile parts, etc. Where are most of them made nowadays? That's right, China, paying workers wages of $1.00 per day.

Tell me if any of the following diverse array of retailers do anything considerably different: Costco? Target? Meijer? Walgreen's? CVS? Rite Aid? Macy's? Dillard's? Dollar General, Dollar Tree, Kroger, Winn-Dixie, HEB, Publix...any of these guys?

In the late 1980s, Wal-Mart enacted a policy stating that if the purchase offer of a U.S. made product is no more than 10% of that of a foreign made product, the company would automatically purchase the U.S.-made product. To my knowledge, the company has not retracted that policy.

Here's some more food for thought: there is a combination of things that are inhibiting the U.S. from producing cheaply anymore:
  • President Clinton's spike of corporate income taxes in the early 90s.
  • President Clinton's 1993 bill reducing military funding, including new technological innovation by 80% over the gradual course of ten years.
  • President G.H.W. Bush's signed NAFTA agreement w/ Mexico and Canada.
  • The IRS continues to add crafty nuances to the tax code for corporations. Granted, corporations offset their tax bills to us, the consumer, so that we pay for it. However, American corporations have $10 TRILLION (this is not a mythological figure) of assets based just offshore in places like the Bahamas and Bermuda. (Until we considerably streamline our tax code and lower the corporate income tax, then...yeah.)
All of these factors are contributing to the corporate downfall of America. These are why corporations are having their goods manufactured overseas. Corporate greed is only a small part of the picture. Why blame "evil" Wal-Mart?

By the way, I work at Wal-Mart.
I don't know about the others, but Costco is very oftend praised for its business practices and the outstanding way that they treat employees.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I'm not poor and shop at Walmart....maybe because it saves me money....and I also go to Target and other stores...and Walmart creates a lot of jobs for people....
IMO Walmart and bad teeth has nothing to do with each other...it is just a choice of bad hygenic and maybe other issues.
Why are you defending Walmart? They really are notorious for being greedy corporate pigs. They might be creating jobs, but they are taking away jobs when they have their merchandise manufactured in China. You know the Chinese, that send us poison toys, pet food and various other poisonous products. They do not treat employess well at all and they drive Mom and Pop businesses out of business!

Old 11-19-2008, 06:28 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Why are you defending Walmart? They really are notorious for being greedy corporate pigs. They might be creating jobs, but they are taking away jobs when they have their merchandise manufactured in China. You know the Chinese, that send us poison toys, pet food and various other poisonous products. They do not treat employess well at all and they drive Mom and Pop businesses out of business!
Boohoo. I think I'll head over to Wally World and buy some of them poisonous toys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies