Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 05:18 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,387,447 times

Advertisements

there has been a few race related threads lately.I came across these photos and wanted to share cause sometimes images speak more than words.

The world has come along way since they were taken,then again not really in some aspects.Has human nature changed to prevent this from happening again?I think not,it happens today still in certain parts of the world.

Through the history of man just about every culture has participated in slavery and has been guilty of exploiting others.

With the debate over the confederate flag after seeing these images I don't think it's surprising that some view that flag as a reminder of these images.

Some have said that America is false because many founders held slaves.Well I think they are seeing that wrong,the words written in the documents started in motion the freedom for all.It just took time.

Indian Ocean: East African slaves taken aboard the Dutch HMS Daphne from a Arab dhow, 1 November 1868.

These photographs dated 1868 reveals a very little of the terrible suffering caused to millions of people by the slave trade. This group of severely

emaciated boys and young men on the lower deck of a Royal Naval ship apparently have been taken from what was a slave vessel trading illegally

off the African coast headed to the Americas. The captain of the Royal Naval ship had instructions not to return the rescued slaves to the place on

the coast where they had been put on the slave ship (presumably because they were in danger of being recaptured by traders) but it is not clear

from the available documentation what happened to them afterwards.

The Indian Ocean Slave trade evolved around the Indian Ocean basin. Slaves were taken from mainland East Africa and sold in markets in the

Arabian Peninsula and the Persian Gulf. In contrast to the trans-Atlantic Slave Trade, the Indian Ocean Slave Trade was much older dating back

from at least the second century C.E. until the early twentieth century. For example, the oldest written document from the East Africa Coast, the

Periplus of the Erythraean Sea, describes a small trade in slaves around the second century C.E. Notice the physical features of the Arabs.

and probably the saddest photo of all is this listing for a auction.The coldnest of the descriptions is saddening,the breaking up of families and treating them as things,not people.

Is it that easy to just get over it?People alive today do not think this way,but can generations so easily get over it?

Old 07-15-2008, 05:27 PM

645 posts, read 1,964,367 times
Amazing..... I'm black and I've never seen pictures like that before.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbo31 View Post
I am trying to make several points.One that others should put themselves in the shoes of people who went through this.

Also that the Declaration of Independance,and Bill of Rights should be championed by all because it purtains to all and could help prevent from this happening again.Multiculturalism focuses on differences,Im saying all Americans no matter their background should guard the freedoms bestowed to us and that we should feel united to each other in that aspect and that todays politicians no matter their background should be held accountable to upholding the Constitution,not redefining it as it suits them.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:39 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,542,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbo31 View Post
Are you speaking about these pictures only? By the way they will have a bus/caravan going through the country soon that will speak to slavery, but show our progress along the years here in America. It should be quite interesting to check out. It is a mobile museum.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:42 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,905,128 times
To think this was only a couple hundred years ago. The note is sickening.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:53 PM

1,044 posts, read 1,953,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I am trying to make several points.One that others should put themselves in the shoes of people who went through this.

Also that the Declaration of Independance,and Bill of Rights should be championed by all because it purtains to all and could help prevent from this happening again.Multiculturalism focuses on differences,Im saying all Americans no matter their background should guard the freedoms bestowed to us and that we should feel united to each other in that aspect and that todays politicians no matter their background should be held accountable to upholding the Constitution,not redefining it as it suits them.
These pictures remind me that this country was built on the horrendous, evil practice of enslaving people from a different country and forcing them to be our labor so that we could create what we have today. Anyone who sees America with only admiration is blind to the evils of our forefathers.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:58 PM

645 posts, read 1,964,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
Are you speaking about these pictures only? By the way they will have a bus/caravan going through the country soon that will speak to slavery, but show our progress along the years here in America. It should be quite interesting to check out. It is a mobile museum.

Maybe I saw similar pictures during black history month in school, but as I get older I tend to forget about that period in history and I've definitely never seen a slave contract before.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:00 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,542,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
To think this was only a couple hundred years ago. The note is sickening.
Remember that blacks were not considered human 200 years ago. Think of it in this context and you may be able to curb that sickening feeling.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLLL98 View Post
These pictures remind me that this country was built on the horrendous, evil practice of enslaving people from a different country and forcing them to be our labor so that we could create what we have today. Anyone who sees America with only admiration is blind to the evils of our forefathers.
no you are wrong.Like I said the Declaration of Independance and Bill of Rights set in motion for all to be free.There was a anti slavery movement during revolution and the documents hightened it.Therefore America principles are just and all Americans should have a certain pride in it and we all should be united on a certain level despite the differences.

Be it as it may that certain founders were slave owners they did do something incredible in the forming of American principles.Don't view it so skewed in judgement toward them.

And all cultures including African cultures have their hands dirty in the practice of slavery through history.It is a human condition to exploit others given the chance and we must united in preventing corrupted power from happening again.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:01 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,635,558 times
Those pix are terrifically sad. I just want to pick up the little boy in the foreground of the fourth picture. I wonder what happened to them all? I wish there was a way to find out.
On an even more sad note, these pictures remind me of what we are seeing coming out of Darfar.

Oh Liionking.....what did you mean about paying close attention to the Arabs features? Either my monitor is going bad or my eyes (likely the latter) but I am not sure what I should be seeing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.