Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2008, 11:30 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

Radio personality Bruce Morrow is a legend who has been on the air for decades. When the Beatles came to America in 1965 and appeared at New York's Shea stadium, "Cousin Brucie" introduced them, and in the 1980s, Morrow was credited with helping push oldies station WCBS-FM to number one. But when WCBS-FM decided it wanted more music and less talk three years ago, Morrow was abruptly fired.

ABC News: Could Age Discrimination Be Good Business?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 11:49 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
When the government thinks it's smarter and goes too far in telling a business how to run things, the government risks forcing the business out of business.

On the other hand, in Oklahoma businesses who sell alcohol or automobiles don't seem to mind in the least that state government telling them that they must take off from business every Sunday. Why it's regarded as such a bad idea to sell cars in Oklahoma on Sunday that's it's illegal is still beyond me unless a bunch of car dealers decided they wanted every Sunday off and didn't want to worry about their competitors going ahead and opening on Sunday.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 07-25-2008 at 11:58 PM..

Old 07-26-2008, 12:45 AM

703 posts, read 1,546,971 times
I don't buy the premise that we should do everything that is "good for business."

Under the ADEA, we protect people 40 years or older from discrimination because we feel that no one should be discriminated against in employment because of age. Whether or not this is the most profitable solution for businesses doesn't really enter the equation. In fact, it probably *would* be more profitable for employers to fire their higher-earning older employees and replace them with much lower-earning younger employees.

But Americans rightly reject a society that would allow that to happen.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:49 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
I don't buy the premise that we should do everything that is "good for business."

Under the ADEA, we protect people 40 years or older from discrimination because we feel that no one should be discriminated against in employment because of age. Whether or not this is the most profitable solution for businesses doesn't really enter the equation. In fact, it probably *would* be more profitable for employers to fire their higher-earning older employees and replace them with much lower-earning younger employees.

But Americans rightly reject a society that would allow that to happen.
Great point...however, businesses DO get rid of older employees so they can hire younger ones at lower pay(so the CEO can get more).

This is ironic and sad because now Americans, in the "World's Greatest Country, HAVE to work longer to survive.....(if you were born after 1963 two months per year are added to the age at which you can collect full SS)

Old 07-26-2008, 08:04 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Radio personality Bruce Morrow is a legend who has been on the air for decades. When the Beatles came to America in 1965 and appeared at New York's Shea stadium, "Cousin Brucie" introduced them, and in the 1980s, Morrow was credited with helping push oldies station WCBS-FM to number one. But when WCBS-FM decided it wanted more music and less talk three years ago, Morrow was abruptly fired.

ABC News: Could Age Discrimination Be Good Business?
Can't say I disagree with their decision. They said they were moving from "classic rock" to "alternative". They are completely different genres and have a younger and different audience. My guess is the station was looking for a new voice to spice up the change. I really don't see this as so much as an "age" thing directly (it is, but it is with logical reason).

Also, he went out and found another job in the same industry to which fit his focus. This field has different standards than others. Its like the movie business. Some actors as they age can not accept it and they continue to seek roles that are not age appropriate or reasonable. When the young beautiful actress ages, she has to consider the next step.

I remember watching an interview on the topic a while back and one actress (can't remember her name) was being asked how she has been able to hold on to a successful career throughout her lifetime in the movie business. She basically said, well... when you become the age of a mom, you play the mom role (or age related), when you become the age of the grandmother, you play that role. If you refuse to accept the present in an attempt to live in the past, you won't find work in the future.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:14 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Great point...however, businesses DO get rid of older employees so they can hire younger ones at lower pay(so the CEO can get more).
That comes back to bite them though. Seen it many times. I used to tell my wife, if you higher at fast food pay, you will get fast food workers.

Ive seen businesses drop qualified and experienced workers for the cheap wage younger crowd and the business over time degrades. It takes a while, but it always ends badly. Ive seen many businesses who got greedy due to their success make unethical budget and cuts to squeeze out some extra money only to turn around down the road and spend several times that to repair the damage.

It can go both ways as well though. I have seen some businesses that hold on to extremely high paid and long term employees when they couldn't afford it and in time, the business failed because of it. There has to be a balance and ultimately the purpose is for the benefit of the business. The key is that part of the "benefit of the business" entails having good employee's who respect their employers as the business will excel on that level due to it. (customer relations, work ethic, loyalty, etc...)

Old 07-26-2008, 08:44 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,795,499 times
This happens in radio all the time. They change formats. People get fired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies