Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 05:16 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,016,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
You have the right to marry. You can marry a woman just like everybody else.
Marriage is a human right not a heterosexual privelege. People shouldn't be denied from marrying whoever or whatever they want as long as it is of legal age. Why should homosexuals be denied the right to marry someone they love.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:49 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,296,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arod0331 View Post
Do I have that right too?

I am a woman
LOL.

Same here. Where's my right?

One thing I am weary of is the whole "civil unions should be fine then" and the ridiculous claim that those opposed to gay marriage are NOT opposed to civil unions. If that is the case, then WHY, in those states that have amended their constitutions, is the wording almost always that which EXCLUDES civil union as well? Why didn't people stand up and insist that the wording be changed if civil unions are no problem?

I maintain that it's just about hatefulness after a certain point. It's no longer just about defining "marriage". For example, what my home state of Texas did:

"SECTION 1. Article I, Texas Constitution, is amended by adding Section 32 to read as follows:

Sec. 32. (a) Marriage in this state shall consist only of the union of one man and one woman.

Could have stopped there if it was just about marriage, but no...

(b) This state or a political subdivision of this state may not create or recognize any legal status identical or similar to marriage."

Interestingly,the author of the Texas Prop. 2 marriage amendment also wants to mess with hetero marriage and divorce.. is this okay with you?

Burnt Orange Report - Look What You've Done

But that's a bit off the topic...

South Carolina, Virginia, North Dakota, Nebraska, Ohio, Kansas, and probably many others but I am tired of looking them up, all have wording in their Constitutional Amendments that not only define marriage as one man/one woman, BUT ALSO specifically prohibit anything "resembling marriage", i.e. civil unions.

So this claim that it's about the definition of marriage is crap.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:59 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
And you have the right to marry someone of the same sex in California and Massachusettes, just the same as gay people have the right to marry someone of the opposite sex. See, there's not discrimination going on. Everyone has the same rights.
Thing is....sure you can marry in Massachusetts BUT you don't have federal rights.
If I met some gorgeous Brazilian woman, I couldn't bring her to America, marry her, and she become a U.S. Citizen.

It's a lot of federal rights that same-sex couples miss out on, even if they have state rights.
http://www.hrc.org/documents/costkids.pdf

I personally just want the rights. Same-sex couples pay taxes like every one else (actually they pay more since they are not allowed to get married).
I see it as...we make people in Town A pay more in taxes to support a school in Town B that ONLY people in Town B can go to. How is that fair?
I see it as more than that but...eh, I'll keep my profanities to myself.

I just don't see why it matters to people SO much to have my rights restricted.
Sure I can marry a man but why would I punish myself? Would it be fair to ask you to marry someone of the same sex if you're a heterosexual?

We can all live in peace.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
Thing is....sure you can marry in Massachusetts BUT you don't have federal rights.
If I met some gorgeous Brazilian woman, I couldn't bring her to America, marry her, and she become a U.S. Citizen.

It's a lot of federal rights that same-sex couples miss out on, even if they have state rights.
http://www.hrc.org/documents/costkids.pdf

I personally just want the rights. Same-sex couples pay taxes like every one else (actually they pay more since they are not allowed to get married).
I see it as...we make people in Town A pay more in taxes to support a school in Town B that ONLY people in Town B can go to. How is that fair?
I see it as more than that but...eh, I'll keep my profanities to myself.

I just don't see why it matters to people SO much to have my rights restricted.
Sure I can marry a man but why would I punish myself? Would it be fair to ask you to marry someone of the same sex if you're a heterosexual?

We can all live in peace.
You would think, huh? In theory anyway.

We are thinking of marrying in California if it's not overturned in November (we live in Texas) although we understand it doesn't mean squat for us legally.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:02 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
Government should not be endorsing marriage. That should be a personal and/or religious matter.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:28 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Government should not be endorsing marriage. That should be a personal and/or religious matter.
The more I think about it, the more I agree with you there. Laws should concerning issues like these treat people as two going into a contract of responsibilities with each other. Sexual preference should not matter in that the recognition of these shared responsibilities and would purely be based on the consent of both parties to that responsibility.

Though that would take some extreme reworking when you start to think about our current implied relationships between responsibility and inheritance.

Old 07-30-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Okay, but fact is, the gov't does currently endorse marriage and provides benefits to those who are married, and I don't see a huge movement to do away with gov't sanctioned marriage... so until that happens, the playing field needs to be leveled.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:56 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,825,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Silas I agree with you on that. But if homosexuals started telling you how you can live you would be agreeing with me on the other issue.
Like the homosexuals in Canada are telling that pastor how to live ?

Old 07-30-2008, 10:35 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
You would think, huh? In theory anyway.

We are thinking of marrying in California if it's not overturned in November (we live in Texas) although we understand it doesn't mean squat for us legally.
I would love to live in California but...eh...that high cost of living.
When I find a good woman though, we just might make the decision to live there.
I hope they don't overturn it in November. ::crosses fingers::

Old 07-31-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
I would love to live in California but...eh...that high cost of living.
When I find a good woman though, we just might make the decision to live there.
I hope they don't overturn it in November. ::crosses fingers::
Yeah here's hoping. Not holding my breath though. If we could afford to live in Cali OR Mass we would, but we can't, so here we are...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies