Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 05:30 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,875,906 times

Advertisements

if you want to save with mail then push for the mail to stop subsidizing junk mail. Every day I get a box full of crap I dont want and these bulk mailers get gefty discounts to send it out. Stop offering the discounts nd we will save a forest and eliminate an enormous amount of wasted fuel. Perhaps then the govenrment could get the stamps back under 35 cents....yea right. Efficiency in the Post Office not in my life time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 05:37 AM

2,308 posts, read 2,591,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyP View Post
UPS and FEDEX seem to do just fine with 5 days a week. Saturday mail is a 16.66666% waste of money.
UPS and FEDEX are common carriers, not first class class mail carriers, that's comparing apples and oranges, different types of carriers. UPS Ground delivers Monday-Friday with extra charges for Saturday/Sunday/Holidays. Fedex Ground Home Delivery delivers Tuesday-Saturday, with extra charges for Sunday delivery. FEDEX Ground Business delivers Monday-Friday with extra charges for Saturday/Sunday/Holidays.

Old 08-03-2008, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
if you want to save with mail then push for the mail to stop subsidizing junk mail. Every day I get a box full of crap I dont want and these bulk mailers get gefty discounts to send it out. Stop offering the discounts nd we will save a forest and eliminate an enormous amount of wasted fuel. Perhaps then the govenrment could get the stamps back under 35 cents....yea right. Efficiency in the Post Office not in my life time.
Yo..., that "junk mail" subsides first class and other postal rates. Without "bulk business mail" the USPS would be out of business years ago or, the USPS would be like AMTRAK, and the US taxpayers would be p****** away many more billions of $$$ than presently go down the "government subsidized" toilet!

Old 08-03-2008, 05:52 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,072,440 times
Another way to save time and gas for USPS is to set up apartment style mailboxes in residential neighborhoods instead of delivery to your individual property. We have less than 20 houses on a dead end street...no reason we can't have one mail center where we all enter and exit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
I agree. All Govt offices & departments should be open Sundays.
I think at least one weekend day for ALL Government offices and some evening hours too. Let them take off days/times when most people are at work. Why should it be so inconvenient or costly (if one has to take time off of work) to access the services we already pay taxes for?

Old 08-03-2008, 06:59 AM

Quote:
NCyank;4711116]Another way to save time and gas for USPS is to set up apartment style mailboxes in residential neighborhoods instead of delivery to your individual property. We have less than 20 houses on a dead end street...no reason we can't have one mail center where we all enter and exit.
Many developments already have sheltered (enclosed) apartment type mail boxes where all residents pick up and drop mail, except for package and expedited delivery type mail which is delivered to the residence.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:49 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,803,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
IMO, I think the postoffice is doing a pretty good job of delivering the mail in my area. Cutting back on one day wouldn’t hurt me however it may not reduce costs. The volume of mail requires the same or more manpower to process and deliver even if there is one day less, that’s a lot of manpower that isn’t working at moving the mail. The employees would continue to want their same salaries and probably get it, work 32 and paid 40 hrs.

Reducing the amount of gas used will save money, and the best way to do that is to get the letter carrier out of the motorized vehicles and put them on bicycles in those areas that would allow this type of delivery. Most of my area could be done on bicycles if you can get the carrier into the area of their route. This however isn’t feasible everywhere in the country.
Yeah, bicycles might work, depending on the volume of mail they have to deliver.
I don't see why the post office just won't invest some money into a company that can build them some electric vehicles or get a company to convert the vehicles they already have to electric.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:51 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,879,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
This is a question I have wondered about for years and that is why do we have mail 6 days a week? In these days of smaller volume because of the internet and on line bill payment, why does the post office burn millions of gallons of gas every Saturday to deliver mail? And then they raise rates to pay for it! Is this really necessary? Is there anybody that would miss getting mail on Saturday?
I do everything online... really, I think the mail is for delivery of ads and junk... people wanting me to open a credit card or buy some dumb insurance policy... not worth it... I bet you could get away with three days a week...

Old 09-08-2008, 02:05 PM

19 posts, read 69,352 times
The "junk" bulk mail subsidizes the cost of first class mail. Without it, a regular birthday card to Grandma would cost well over two dollars to send. Also, mail backs up after any holiday, the overtime they have to pay us is tremendous, just being closed that one day. Be grateful for the junk mail, it pays the freight.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:41 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,104,813 times
In some countries, where most people do not have a home computer, the Post Office delivers electronic mail to your house. The sender pays in advance for a debit account, and then can take any document to the post office and is charged per piece to have a copy of that emailed to the post office nerest the recipient. That receiving post office prints the document, the carrier sorts it, and takes it to the house just like it was regular mail. Guaranteed next day delivery, with no trucks on the road.

Which is not a new idea. During WWII, we did not get the original letter from soldiers overseas. Their outgoing mail was collected in Europe, bulk photocopied, the film was carried across the ocean, the photocopies were printed on paper stateside, and delivered to the addressee in regular mail.

Three day delivery would work fine, or even once-a-week delivery, by reinstituting the old Special Delivery concept. If you send something by regular post, it gets delivered on the next mail day. For an additional fee, a carrier will take it out the same day it arrives. This way, we could reduce the regular postage to maybe 15 or 20 cents, and then charge 30 cents for the special delivery, and important, urgent mail would still be little more than it is now.

In Chile, my mailman was not a postel employee. He was just a guy who hung around the PO, and every day or so, he would take a bag of mail around, and recipients would given him a tip of a few cents per letter. In Jordan, there was no home delivery at all. People would make arrangements with some business near their house, and get their mail in care of that business. Which was good for business. People rarely got more than a letter or two a year, unless they had relatives abroad. If you had a letter waiting for you, one of your neighbors would see it and bring it to your house for you.

There are all kinds of ways to cut the cost of providing what is still an adequate service, but our PO just won't thnk about them. Increasingly, in rural areas, there is just a big block of 50 or 100 mailboxes, for everybody who lives within a mile or so. Everybody has a car. Once or twice a week would be fine, because most people wouldn't even check every day.

I love the story about William Faulkner, when he was the postnaster in Oxford, Mississippi. When anybody's magazine subscription came, he'd leave them out on the table for a week or so, and then deliver them after everybody else in town had already read the.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:21 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,428,624 times
I dont know why its not 7 days a week, separation of church & state & all that. Same with all other Govt offices. Not a single good reason a person should take time off during the week to go to town hall or get an audience with a public official.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies