Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 09:31 PM

952 posts, read 3,706,894 times

Advertisements

I am very curious why so many black people have very typical black names? It is nothing wrong with that at all but how did that start? Just curious?

Old 07-27-2008, 10:26 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,471,535 times
All the typical white ones were already taken.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:33 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,763,539 times
Check out the book "Whats with all these typical black names that black people have? I mean theres nothing wrong with it" by Levar Burton.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:56 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,570,586 times
what exactly are typical black names? Are you speaking of blacks in America? Most blacks names in the US have been historically white names & surnames where they were derived by the names of former slave owners that have been passed down through generations.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:58 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,766,491 times
There was a radio station in Chicago that had a morning game show "black baby name or tropical plant...? "

Old 07-28-2008, 06:38 AM

1,113 posts, read 1,815,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big mean bear View Post
There was a radio station in Chicago that had a morning game show "black baby name or tropical plant...? "
That's unfortunately hilarious, and I bet it lasted about one episode until complaints started coming in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob
what exactly are typical black names? Are you speaking of blacks in America?
Shaniqua, Tashawnda, Darnell, Tyrone are a few stereotypically black names.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:41 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,148,159 times
Quote:
I am very curious why so many black people have very typical black names? It is nothing wrong with that at all but how did that start? Just curious?
If you're referring to names that begin with La and/or end in Sha (Latisha, Latasha), I think they began as a way of expressing originality and as these names grew in popularity, they became the standard for names in the African American community. They also became associated with "black" because that's where these names grew in popularity. I've yet to meet a white Tyrone. Now, if you're referring to the ignorant names that have popped up in the last 15 years that contain hyphens, apostrophes, and ridiculous spellings, I think it's still a way to express originality, however, as opposed to Shaniqua which sounds steroetypically black, these names just sound "black" and ignorant. The other thing, you tend to see these names more in lower socioeconomic areas. I went through my brother-in-law's junior high year book recently and spent an hour laughing hysterically at the names of these kids. Only a small fraction of these kids had standard names. In middle class and above areas, while you may see stereotypically black names, which I do think have become more accepted in mainstream America, you almost never see overly creative spellings. I also think the age of the parents become a factor also. Younger parents tend to give the more unusual names. And there is something wrong with using these names; not the Tyrones and Shaniquas, but the Alizes and Hennessys. Let's see how much discrimination they run into once they get into the "real" world just from their name.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:42 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,382,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsburg View Post
Shaniqua, Tashawnda, Darnell, Tyrone are a few stereotypically black names.
I don't know anyone named Shaniqua or Tashawnda or Darnell.

The most common names I've ever run across has been Keisha/Michelle for women and Sean/Michael for men. I think I know one Tyrone - and that Erika Badu song of courss.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:49 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,382,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
And there is something wrong with using these names; not the Tyrones and Shaniquas, but the Alizes and Hennessys. Let's see how much discrimination they run into once they get into the "real" world just from their name.
One of my coworkers named her daughter Alize (because she heard it on the steve harvey show - that was Lavita's middle name) and had no idea it was a drink.

I also know someone who named her twins boys Madison and Brooklyn because they were conceived after she and her husband saw Bette Milder at Madison Square.

I somehow think picking bad names for your kids run all across the race lines now and has become just a stupid thing young people do.

Court: Girl can't be called Talula Does The Hula

Old 07-28-2008, 07:56 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,264,602 times
isn't madison quite a popular white baby girl's name. i read that somewhere that it has picked up in popularity.

the only brooklyn i 'know' is david beckham's son.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies