Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 08:31 PM

350 posts, read 653,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Gaelic, as in Irish? You can't figure that one out?

How?
Yes, as in Irish - but not a common name at all. And no, I can't figure it out. I have never been in any legal trouble and plenty of people in US have 'foreign' names, as your nation is made of those from all over the world. Did not think this was a crime.

How unconstitutional? This is how.
People are treated as though they are guilty without a trial, and thus are deprived of due process, which I believe is required by your Constitution.

Last edited by gortamor; 08-14-2008 at 09:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 08:53 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortamor View Post
Yes, as in Irish. And no, I can't figure it out. I have never been in any legal trouble and plenty of people in US have 'foreign' names, as your nation is made of those from all over the world. Did not think this was a crime.

How unconstitutional? This is how.
People are treated as though they are guilty without a trial, and thus are deprived of due process, which I believe is required by your Constitution.
gortamor..I think many of our rights are slowing being eroded in the name of "War on Terror" and "Keeping the US citizens safe" with various Bills and Acts pushed through Congress with little or no debate.

I don't like what's happening and it's being done without our total knowledge.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Ahhhh, ok. I just figured since someone posted those 2 links that you could see....well then how do people know if they're on a list? Yeah, I'm having a "duuuuuh" moment.
This is what happens.
You go to the airport and cannot get your boarding pass - this is the first hint something is amiss. The ticket agent then tells you that you need to provide more identification (you would think a passport would be enough) - sometimes saying your name has been matched to the no fly list, sometimes giving no explanation, even if you demand it.

You provide the doc (I've taken to carrying a birth certificate) and usually, after quite a length of time, you are permitted to board. However, there have been flights I've missed due to this nonsense, and flights I just was not allowed to get on - despite doing all of the above, having all my luggage gone through etc. I was told to contact the TSA - an absolutely fruitless exercise.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:55 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
I think once you are on the list you can never get off.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I think once you are on the list you can never get off.
It seems so. I tried, with the help of local pols I had known in MA, to get off this list, but they hit the same stone wall I had.

I don't understand why Americans put up with it. It seems that many aspects of this so-called 'Patriot' Act (rather like the 'Peoples' Republic of China) are unconstitutional.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:08 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,699,806 times
Originally Posted by swagger
Get over yourself - the government doesn't give a rat's patootie about you.

Swagger, yeah sure sure. Tell that to the people targeted by Cointelpro or to all the harmless activist citizens that ended up on the City of Denver's terrorist/"criminal extremist" list a few years ago.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:52 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,974 times
Quote:
It seems so. I tried, with the help of local pols I had known in MA, to get off this list, but they hit the same stone wall I had.

I don't understand why Americans put up with it. It seems that many aspects of this so-called 'Patriot' Act (rather like the 'Peoples' Republic of China) are unconstitutional.
Oh, the name is full of irony, you're right about that. It IS unconstitutional, and our Congress just pushed it right on through in the wake of 9/11, when most Americans were still in shock or wanted revenge. Now, somehow, if you criticize this horrid, anti-American law, you get branded as hating freedom. George Orwell, meanwhile, is lying in his grave and saying "I told you so."

Old 08-26-2008, 01:18 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,341,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Get over yourself - the government doesn't give a rat's patootie about you. If your name is on the list, it's because someone who actually should be on the list either has the same name or has used it as an alias. I worked with a fellow who was "on the list", except that he wasn't. It was someone else with the same name.

The watch list doesn't differentiate between individuals - it's just a list of names. If you're unfortunate enough to have a name that also happens to be on that list, then you just have to deal with it. My former coworker does, and he doesn't complain about it...
-------------

Yes ,you can get on the list if your name resembles someone of interest but even Air Marshall's who speak out against the Gvmt wind up on that list.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
That is the poorest excuse I ever heard - the same they used in Florida to keep people from voting! Sorry, Mr. Jackson, but you have same name as felon John Jackson, so you will not be allowed to vote.

Either the gobment is acting maliciously - would be very interesting to know how many Bush supporters are on said list - or it is grossly incompetent - either way, not good. There should be a clear procedure in place to get off the list if it a case of...mistaken identity. For sure, via birth certificates, passports etc, it could be done.

As your Ben Franklin said, 'Those who would give up Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety deserve neither Liberty nor Safety'
-----------

From what I understand you can still vote but now you need to go to police station get finger printed,etc.
That's the nasty foul vile loop hole they used. They didn't stop people from voting but made an easy process into a nightmare .

What should have taken some 30 minutes took hour's . The law suit was based on that still hasn't gone anywhere.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:

-----------

If thing's continue as is I imagine we will envy the right's the Chinese have .

I rather live under Chinese rule as is today than KGB rule and we are becoming lke that "ofcourse it's to protect us from terrorist"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies