Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Corporal Punishment?
Yes, it is less severe than incarceration 3 60.00%
No, it is inhumane and is contrary to American values 2 40.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 09:50 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,683,943 times

Advertisements

This is a very difficult topic for me to bring up, but there are a few who suggest that corporal punishment in a form of flogging. It would save the country a lot of money. The pain is for the most part, short-term incarceration can have life life-long implications, such as families breaking apart and preventing a segment of the population from becoming productive entities of society by keeping them locked up in institutions for long period of times. Society misses out on man power or even brains that can affect the the good will of this country.

On the contrary, corporal punishment is considered inhumane by human rights activists. It could be taking advantage of by those who administer them. Furthermore, it is unconstitutional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 09:58 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
Yes, I wish we were more like Singapore that has corporal punishment.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:01 AM

1,457 posts, read 2,028,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Yes, I wish we were more like Singapore that has corporal punishment.
+1...Singapore has one of the lowest crime rates in the world.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:07 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,698,306 times
Would the flogging be more severe for violent criminals? ie, murderer vs robber?

Old 08-08-2011, 10:09 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,171,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
This is a very difficult topic for me to bring up, but there are a few who suggest that corporal punishment in a form of flogging. It would save the country a lot of money. The pain is for the most part, short-term incarceration can have life life-long implications, such as families breaking apart and preventing a segment of the population from becoming productive entities of society by keeping them locked up in institutions for long period of times. Society misses out on man power or even brains that can affect the the good will of this country.

On the contrary, corporal punishment is considered inhumane by human rights activists. It could be taking advantage of by those who administer them. Furthermore, it is unconstitutional.
ooooh, I came here because i thought you wanted to spank the prisoners. Oh well, never mind.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:11 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,906,961 times
Sure .. lets just give them all a good spanking and send 'em home

Old 08-08-2011, 10:11 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,079,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post

And what if you're actually innocent? It happens alot more than we are to admit. Add to that physical problems that could arise from such punishment and I'd love to know what kind of monsters we would hire to administer such a punishment...because normal people wouldn't want to. You'd have to be sick to want to do that.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:35 AM

782 posts, read 1,109,383 times
Corporal punishment? Really? In no way would corporal punishment be appropiate in the U.S. . Notice I said "appropiate".. it might be an effective deterrent to crime in Singapore where it's an instution. In the United States however, it would be horrible failure.
First, WE, as a Nation and a people are far too refined to agree to it. I am sure the majority of U.S. citizens would feel it would take us back to the Dark Ages. What would be next?..cutting off the hand of thieves or the "Scarlett Letter" for adultry? Also, do you remember the public outcry when one of our young citizens was flogged what? 15 times? for destruction of private property (I think) back in the 90's?
Second, The U.S already has a history of Flogging. The ACLU would NEVER let it happen again...I can hear it now..because the majority of persons incarcerated are Black we, as a nation, would be accused of going back to a "Plantation Society". If you don't know what that means look it up.
Third, If Corporal Punishment were to be approved (and it never would)..the accused would still have to be incarcerated until the sentence was carried out. The process would be so tied up in rules and beauracracy that it wouldn't be as effective here as it is in Singapore.
Ordinarily, when I see someone supporting a sinking ship I would tell them "good luck with that..." Not even going there on this one.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:23 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,947,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaul View Post
+1...Singapore has one of the lowest crime rates in the world.
You might want to look at thier laws and their "justice" system before making such statements.

Casper

Old 08-08-2011, 11:25 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,328,875 times
Corporal punishment for Government employees is appropriate - but only if open to the public.

Last edited by ergohead; 08-08-2011 at 12:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies