Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 12:24 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,716,485 times

Advertisements

I have read many threads here and elsewhere basically shrugging off the issue of teens having unprotected sex and getting pregnant with such comments as, "all teens have sex" and "it happens all the time" as if there was nothing that could have prevented it.

As the parent of a 17 year old I can assure you that an unplanned teen pregnancy would be a HUGE deal (as it was when I was growing up). I was so fearful of the consequences I was a virgin until I was an adult, well after high school and had sex only after a trip to Planned Parenthood for birth control. My daughter is the same. She knows how to protect herself and what the consequences to her life will be if she doesn't. She knows about emergency contraception and where and how to get it.

Does this make us closer to the norm, or are we freaks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 12:29 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,393,781 times
Well, it DOES happen all the time.

And, again, 17 is not 15. Bristol Palin is almost 18.

Women used to have kids regularly at 14-15, and in some cultures in the US today, such as some Latin American cultures, 16 and 15 year old pregnancies are not uncommon....as a matter of fact, they're VERY common.

But yes, kids have sex. Younger than ever these days. Palin and her boyfriend made a huge mistake, and you know it's not like they don't know how to use a condom or what one is. They made a bad personal decision, and now have to deal with the consequences, as countless people before them have.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:34 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,888,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I have read many threads here and elsewhere basically shrugging off the issue of teens having unprotected sex and getting pregnant with such comments as, "all teens have sex" and "it happens all the time" as if there was nothing that could have prevented it.

As the parent of a 17 year old I can assure you that an unplanned teen pregnancy would be a HUGE deal (as it was when I was growing up). I was so fearful of the consequences I was a virgin until I was an adult, well after high school and had sex only after a trip to Planned Parenthood for birth control. My daughter is the same. She knows how to protect herself and what the consequences to her life will be if she doesn't. She knows about emergency contraception and where and how to get it.

Well of course you're comfortable. Because you're also comfortable with abortion as contraception.

As proven by your counterparts here who have clearly stated that abortion is a womans RIGHT at any time in pregnancy for any reason without government interference.

Watch what happens when your daughter forgets her pills or doubles up or has side effects and has to stop or takes antibiotics and it's ineffective.

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-22-2010 at 09:41 AM.. Reason: rude/off topic

Old 09-02-2008, 01:07 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,256,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Well, it DOES happen all the time.

And, again, 17 is not 15. Bristol Palin is almost 18.
The way the law is, "almost 18" doesn't count. You're considered a minor until your 18th birthday. Until a person reaches 18, very few rights & privileges are granted to minors, and for very good reasons. The only real adult privilege given to minors in most states is driving ... which I think is a huge mistake, but that's another topic.

Quote:
Women used to have kids regularly at 14-15, and in some cultures in the US today, such as some Latin American cultures, 16 and 15 year old pregnancies are not uncommon....as a matter of fact, they're VERY common.
Does that make it right? As a society, we have to consider the financial aspects of such actions. Who PAYS for all these teen births and unplanned pregnancies?! Most of the time, it's the public that will pay for the careless actions of others. Unless the family is wealthy (which in the vast majority of cases, they aren't), the upbringing, health care, and education are subsidized by YOUR tax dollars!

Quote:
But yes, kids have sex. Younger than ever these days. Palin and her boyfriend made a huge mistake, and you know it's not like they don't know how to use a condom or what one is. They made a bad personal decision, and now have to deal with the consequences, as countless people before them have.
I realize kids have sex, but they need to be responsible for their actions and take precautions before the act. Condoms are readily available, as are many other forms of contraception. This is 2008 ... not 1908. There is absolutely no reason in this day & age why prevention can't be taken.

As far as I'm concerned, we as a nation should be cutting off all public aid to these irresponsible people who have no business bringing more kids into the world. The sad thing is that it seems to be the bums of society who reproduce the most.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:23 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,716,485 times
Not ALL kids have sex! Data show it's less than half of those in grades 9-12 and that number has gone DOWN in the past 10 years.

http://www.kff.org/youthhivstds/uplo...Fact-Sheet.pdf

So...why do are some teens sexually active and some aren't? Opportunity? Fear of consequences? Morals? Can we not use these reasons and assert some of out own parental authority in ways that expect kids to abstain?

Or should we just EXPECT kids to break the rules, and just throw up our hands helplessly?

Old 09-02-2008, 01:42 PM

7,924 posts, read 9,147,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post

Teenagers (and adults)know not to drink and drive, yet many are killed each year; they know the consequences of unprotected sex yet many get a disease and or pregnant.
Unfortunately, knowledge is not always implimented properly, hence the consequences. Knowledge is by no means a guarantee that your child won't be in the same situation.

Last edited by NSHL10; 09-02-2008 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-02-2008, 01:44 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,936,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
Teenagers (and adults)know not to drink and drive, yet many are killed each year; they know the consequences of unprotected sex yet many get a disease and or pregnant.
Unfortunately, knowledge is not always implimented properly, hence the consequences. Knowledge is by no means a guarantee that your child won't be in the same situation.
In other words......People are Stupid? Works for me

Old 09-02-2008, 01:49 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,249,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
As far as I'm concerned, we as a nation should be cutting off all public aid to these irresponsible people who have no business bringing more kids into the world. The sad thing is that it seems to be the bums of society who reproduce the most.
What a crock

Who are you going to put in charge if someone has the right (business) of bring "more" children into the world? Or, are you advocating a China policy regarding kids?

Old 09-02-2008, 01:50 PM

132 posts, read 390,241 times
Default wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
The way the law is, "almost 18" doesn't count. You're considered a minor until your 18th birthday. Until a person reaches 18, very few rights & privileges are granted to minors, and for very good reasons. The only real adult privilege given to minors in most states is driving ... which I think is a huge mistake, but that's another topic.

Does that make it right? As a society, we have to consider the financial aspects of such actions. Who PAYS for all these teen births and unplanned pregnancies?! Most of the time, it's the public that will pay for the careless actions of others. Unless the family is wealthy (which in the vast majority of cases, they aren't), the upbringing, health care, and education are subsidized by YOUR tax dollars!

I realize kids have sex, but they need to be responsible for their actions and take precautions before the act. Condoms are readily available, as are many other forms of contraception. This is 2008 ... not 1908. There is absolutely no reason in this day & age why prevention can't be taken.

What a ****ed up post! Wow I bet you would be a real pleasure to meet in person... Some of what you said is true(the sex stuff) but then again some isnt. You cannot give EVERYONE who is on public assistance a bad fricken label just because there are some scums out there! Some people actually need it and are working hard to get off of it and a good education. So were you always spoiled and had everything handed to you or something? Never went through hards times yourself?? Then you havent lived the struggle buddy so quit talkin about what you dont know about ok?

Old 09-02-2008, 01:52 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,158,091 times
So, magically at age 18, a person is capable of caring for a child? I don't think so. My kids were planned, and I was married, and 30 years old, and it turned my life upside down! 17 is too young to have a baby. Only the GOP could spin this into a good thing by talking about how wonderful it is that she's keeping the baby. And her mom is "proud". Give me a break. You know she's mortified and embarrassed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies